Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does a BI take for a large agency?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a BI take for a large agency?

i have a good clean record, and all materials turned in to the BI...how long does a BI take to do for a large agency? thanks

Background Investigation

Pretty general, though thoroughly understandable question. Most, if not all large agencies will mount a very thorough background investigation. Much of the answer to your question depends on an individual investigator's case load. Keep in mind that yours is not the only file on his desk. You can do much to speed the process by an accurate completion of your SPH, and all phases of your background packet. Timeline: It can run three to six months.Waiting, and you'll be doing some, is probably one of the most difficult aspects of the hiring process.

Comment

Philip is right on point. Everything just depends. I applied for a pretty big department here in the Atlanta area and they got through my BI in 3 weeks. So you honestly never know. But definately do whatever you can to make their job easier. Make sure you turn in all requested documentation, etc. as quick as possible.

Comment

A background investigation usually takes at least 6 months. Even then your case will be open til you finish probation. Various letters to prior employers, military etc will be sent out. Sometimes those response's will not be returned for months. We have rushed investigation in 3 months, but thats really not enough time. Derogatory information can come in at anytime. Some candidates get hired and are in the academy or even on the street when somebody from the candidates past may decide to drop a dime.

Comment

Mine for a 200 sworn dept took 8 months from start to finish. My cousin is in the process at LAPD and it has taken a year already. I have seen some go at Sac PD only 3 months. So it all depends on how many people they are going at once.

Comment

if your cousin has been in the background process with LAPD for over a year, he/she should contact someone. it definitely shouldn't take that long. LAPD/LASD are on a hiring binge... the whole process should take around 6 months for LAPD. my background took 1 month for LASD. but maybe they contacted my prior LE agency and made it go faster

but in general, backgrounds shouldn't take more than 6 months, esp for large CA agencies.. the only reason why I would think a background takes a long time, is if you moved around a lot, and had lots of employers...

Comment

Originally posted by ask80
              if your cousin has been in the background process with LAPD for over a year, he/she should contact someone. it definitely shouldn't take that long. ..

He had to put his file on hold to get within Depts regulations. If you know what i mean, his BI is a great guy and told him to wait 6 months and he would fast track him back up.

Comment

I was recently hired on with the arlington texas pd and my background took roughly 5 days to complete. I gave the BI everything including stuff he didnt request to make sure it went smoothly.

Comment

How many officers do you consider to be a big department? I consider my agency large (about 450 sworn officers) and I was already on the street in F.T.O. before my BI was completed. The way I found out was my neighbors told me some investigator was going around asking questions about me.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

My BI for the LAPD said it would take one week to complete the backgrounds process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4563 users online. 279 members and 4284 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X