Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Polygraph Exam

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recent Polygraph Exam

    error.....
    Last edited by drumsr; 08-25-2007, 12:51 PM.

  • #2
    Just because you show deception on a question or 2 doesnt necesarily mean you're DQ'd. Remember that poly's are only 99% accurate. Ultimately everything depends on the agency you're applying with and how they handle those results. Best of luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      i passed 2 polys and both of them tried to get stuff i never did from me thats how they work. they are trying to make u talk. because of course if you are hidding that u used drugs and the poly examiner asked you two times it will make u think( did they find out, the polyraph is real, he got me) but if you keep your same answers you will pass it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by maradona1945
        keep your same answers you will pass it.
        Follow this and you will be fine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Meant2BBlu
          Remember that poly's are only 99% accurate.
          Who told you that? Your polygraph examiner?

          Especially in non-specific issue pre-employment screening they are essentially as accurate as random chance. A coin toss would be just as accurate.
          Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mobrien316
            A coin toss would be just as accurate.
            I wouldnt doubt that at all. Its all taking a chance.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just finished a polygraph the second in my life. Inconclusive...non-deceptive. I flatlined my first poly years ago and this one was such a mess (read 6.5 hrs) that the examiner(s) were scratching their heads. I admitted to everything, but showed strange results on the standard questions (name, state, etc) and the "other than what we've talked about..." ones. In my opinion, polygraphs have their place, but they do not work on everyone. It's the interogation during the pre-test exam where the most relevant information is obtained.

              Comment


              • #8
                Mine too grilled me on a few things i've never done, said i "reacted" to the questions about ever stealing more then 400 dollars from an employer, never having done so I maintained just that, I passed just fine. I wouldnt worry too much.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Polygraphs are used as an investigative tool. They are by no means even close to 99% accurate. I have taken over half a dozen in my carrer and find it amuzing when one polygrapher said there were signs of deception and others said truthful.
                  There are different methods of administering a polygraph. The popular method gives you a overall score in the end that ranges from +12 to -12. +6-+12 shows truthful. +6--6 shows unconclusive and -6--12 shows deception. So you can see if you dont make above +6 you preety much fail in the eyes of most departments. They are only a TOOL at best.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Stare
                    Polygraphs are used as an investigative tool. They are by no means even close to 99% accurate. I have taken over half a dozen in my carrer and find it amuzing when one polygrapher said there were signs of deception and others said truthful.
                    There are different methods of administering a polygraph. The popular method gives you a overall score in the end that ranges from +12 to -12. +6-+12 shows truthful. +6--6 shows unconclusive and -6--12 shows deception. So you can see if you dont make above +6 you preety much fail in the eyes of most departments. They are only a TOOL at best.
                    how departments will react on unconclusive result? it does mean you passed or no?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mansouri1945
                      how departments will react on unconclusive result? it does mean you passed or no?

                      It means they don't know one way or the other so you either get dropped from the process or take another poly, depending on what they want to do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I passes my first poly with flying colors. I recently took another one for a different department, and it came back inconclusive. Im being re-scheduled for another one next month. You will probably be re-scheduled, the department has spent a decent amount of money on you already, I doubt they will just let you go like that.
                        "If 13 is an unlucky number, than 12 and 14 are guilty by association."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I recently had my first "police" poly (previous poly for govt. clearance about 3 years ago).

                          I passed but had a similar experience with "showing some deception on questions X, Y, or Z, anything you would like to share?". I believe it was on the generic questions like "have you withheld any information from me" and "have you lied on any portion of this process".

                          I was kinda of expecting this to happen, but what I was not expecting was for him to test me after I thought the examine was over. I had been disconnected from the machine, told that I had passed (unofficially) and was saying goodbye when he caught me off guard with a "UNLESS YOU WERE LYING TO ME"? He was staring me right in the eye and waiting for a response. I was caught totally off guard and stammered something like "I was telling you the whole truth" while looking him right in the eye. I was telling the whole truth and had possibly made the mistake of spilling my guts. I rambled on and on about all the little crap that that don't care about, BUT I felt very comfortable taking the exam after discussing these items.

                          .
                          Last edited by x10; 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks to all for your responses! I got word from the department I was applying with and they DQ'ed me because the polygraph came back as deception indicated on the drug question. I really wish they would have done a background investigation as it would have clearly shown that I never have messed with drugs or even tried anything one time. After reading numerous posts about polygraphs, I realize that not everyone passes the 1st time...kinda bummed though. It's hard to be told you are lying about something you feel very strongly against.

                            Is it pretty standard for depts. to DQ someone based on the polygraph results without doing a background check?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by drumsr
                              Thanks to all for your responses! I got word from the department I was applying with and they DQ'ed me because the polygraph came back as deception indicated on the drug question. I really wish they would have done a background investigation as it would have clearly shown that I never have messed with drugs or even tried anything one time. After reading numerous posts about polygraphs, I realize that not everyone passes the 1st time...kinda bummed though. It's hard to be told you are lying about something you feel very strongly against.

                              Is it pretty standard for depts. to DQ someone based on the polygraph results without doing a background check?
                              Unfortunately, it is SOP in Connecticut. State law says that anyone attending the POST academy must have passed a polygraph exam.
                              Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4148 users online. 246 members and 3902 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X