Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another DQ v. Non-select inquiry...

Hey guys,

To start off, yes I've done my research on these forums. I've read quite a number of topics and know more about the process (thank you).

Unfortunately, I received my second "thank you, no thank you" letter last week for a civilian position, and for the life of me I can't decipher where I fall. I called right away, but the Dept. is undergoing a staff change within the Chain of Command, and thus I was told I was placed on a waiting list so that they may make an appointment so that I can talk to a supervisor about my rejection. I know, it's quite the hoops we have to jump through, but I'm dealing with a large PD.

Within the rejection letter, they included something like this:

You may keep abreast of ****** job openings by accessing our website, or by visiting or calling the Employment Office at **********.

This was for a basic admin position. I also applied to another position within the same PD which more closely matches my background and where (I assume) I'm not as overqualified. I'm guessing that had I been DQ'd, the letter would have told me something different and not advised me to look at more employment opportunities. I'm still scheduled (as far as I know) for orientation for the 2nd position where I will once more turn in all my paperwork.

Any professional opinions is greatly appreciated!

They don’t want you.

Comment

In most civil service agencies there rarely are grounds for disqualifying someone from ever taking a civil service test again. With this in mind, agencies who DQ you will usually advise that you can test again for the same position during the next cycle or that you can test for other positions. What they don't tell you is, if there is still something in your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification, you will continue to be DQed each time you reapply and get to the background portion of the hiring process.

Now, what will disqualify you for one job may not DQ you for another. Law enforcement DQ standards are very high. But, what disqualifies you for a position with a law enforcement agency, may not disqualify you for a job with the city parks department.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• l3x1
        l3x1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I have another two position with different departments who have offered me a conditional offer of employment. Fingers crossed!

A non-select is essentially a DQ... its a more polite way to say it
      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
        A non-select is essentially a DQ... its a more polite way to say it
        There is often a VAST difference.

A disqualification means the candidate doesn't meet the BASIC job requirements. Usually one of the testing requirements or state law requirements. Sometimes it is based on having too many prior citations or drug usage

A non-select means there was someone who the hiring authority likes better than you. In other words the candidate meets the requirements for the job and was " in contention" for selection but got beat out by someone else

There are going to be a lot of "non selects" when say 100 people go up for 1 opening
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I agree with Iowa. Maybe it's different for civil service agencies...but with my department there's a HUGE difference between being DQed and not being selected (hired). Being DQed means there was something that made the person either unhirable (automatic DQ) or undesirable (concerns with background). Not being selected simply means that the applicant was desirable, but we ultimately chose someone else for the position.

We might have 1,000 applicants (who have passed the physical and written exam) for one open position. 100 of those might be auto DQs (DV conviction, hard drug use etc). 500 might be DQed right away because there are things in their background that raise serious concerns (multiple traffic infractions, unstable employment history, etc.). Out of the remaining 400 maybe half are weeded out during the oral board, BI, psych and medical. So we end up with 200 applicants who meet all our requirements and are desirable candidates. One applicant gets hired. 199 are non-selects. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the non-selects and some might get hired by another department or even by our department at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            They don’t want you.
            I agree w/ CCCSD. Go elsewhere. Often there is already someone picked out for the position(s) and the job posting is a formality. Keep trying, don't lose hope. Good luck to you.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post

I agree w/ CCCSD. Go elsewhere. Often there is already someone picked out for the position(s) and the job posting is a formality. Keep trying, don't lose hope. Good luck to you.
              I agree in that case.................after a SECOND "thanks but no thanks" letter you are probably toast at that agency
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4195 users online. 273 members and 3922 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X