Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my driving history disqualify me?

To say the least my younger self was very immature, I'm going to list my record and explain my situation give me your opinion on the subject.

2014 - Careless driving
    2014 - Careless driving again (no excuses but this one was uncalled for, i can explain if needed)
    2014 - Unlawful speed
    2014 - 12 points within 12 months; suspension
    2015 - driving while suspended
    2016 - Crash
    2016 - I'm not sure what this one is, so ill copy and paste for review. FR-POINTS BODILY INJURY LIABILITY/PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITYSUSPENSION FR CASE IS A RESULT OF VIOLATION NUMBER

Now, with that being said I got my license at the age of 16 when I dropped out of school. In 2016 my life changed for the better, I had my first child and got married, obtained my GED and joined the military, now closing in at the end of 2017 I am getting involuntary medically separated from the army due to my hip not meeting the Army's retention standards.
    I spoke to the personnel in the PASS system and was told that I would have to put appeals in and they would most likely be denied by the chiefs. Do I have a chance here?

The departments I would be applying for are Clearwater police, Tampa police and possibly others around the area.

Coming from a former police officer: Yes I would say it will DQ you, or at the very least throw up a HUGE red flag. First off, all of your infractions are avoidable, and are all too close together (4 in 1 yr, with a total of 12 pts/suspension). Then you have 2 in 2016, one looks like underinsured... So yeah, I'd say your chances are slim to nil. Good on you for improving yourself with the Army, but you will be competing with veterans who did not have the nasty history as you and completed their tours. A medical discharge is not something to be ashamed of (I was involuntarily separated with an honorable, so I'm not upset about it).
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Security Guard, APG MD (GS-5 Step 06)
    COE:
    VA Police Officer (GS-6), Baltimore/Perry Point MD

Comment

• brothernic
      brothernic commented
      Editing a comment
      Would it be better to apply in a year or two to let the majority of infractions fade a bit?

• SmallCityCop
      SmallCityCop commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd say give it 5 - 10 years.

Congratulations on getting your life together. But most of the departments I'm familiar with would throw your application in the garbage once they saw your history.

Comment

Originally posted by brothernic View Post
      To say the least my younger self was very immature, I'm going to list my record and explain my situation give me your opinion on the subject.

2014 - Careless driving
      2014 - Careless driving again (no excuses but this one was uncalled for, i can explain if needed)
      2014 - Unlawful speed
      2014 - 12 points within 12 months; suspension
      2015 - driving while suspended
      2016 - Crash
      2016 - I'm not sure what this one is, so ill copy and paste for review. FR-POINTS BODILY INJURY LIABILITY/PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITYSUSPENSION FR CASE IS A RESULT OF VIOLATION NUMBER

Now, with that being said I got my license at the age of 16 when I dropped out of school. In 2016 my life changed for the better, I had my first child and got married, obtained my GED and joined the military, now closing in at the end of 2017 I am getting involuntary medically separated from the army due to my hip not meeting the Army's retention standards.
      I spoke to the personnel in the PASS system and was told that I would have to put appeals in and they would most likely be denied by the chiefs. Do I have a chance here?

The departments I would be applying for are Clearwater police, Tampa police and possibly others around the area.
      Maybe in 10 years somebody may take a look at you but that would be pushing it
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

You would be instant DQ with my department.
        Founder & CEO, www.officer.com

Comment

You are only 20. Give it 5 years and apply then. If you keep your license clean until then your previous driving history can be chalked up to immaturity. The number of violations is definitely excessive...but not unheard of for a teenager.

Edited to add:
          If you are being medically separated from the army you may also get medically disqualified for law enforcement. They don't necessarily apply the same standards, but it's something you should look into.
          Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 10-12-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. I could post my driving record to the astonishment of a lot of people here. IT makes yours look modest... But give it lots of time. A LOT of time. I'm not an investigator, but based on my own experience in getting hired, minimum of 5 years. From now.

Comment

• brothernic
              brothernic commented
              Editing a comment
              That gives me a little bit of relief. I'm going to try in 1 1/2 - 2 years and hope it works out, if not then I'll wait another 2 years and see how it goes.

Automatic DQ? Probably not for most departments. DQ when they start comparing you to other applicants who don't have this problem? Probably.

Comment

Auto DQ here. You’re a liability when you’re behind the wheel. You deliberately make bad decisions and break the law. Tells me a bit about your character and maturity. It’s just too easy to remove your name from my “list” because I’ll have plenty of applicants who don’t have your issues.

With that said, you certainly should not give up or take my answer as if it represents everyone. Do as the others have said, stay clean. Follow the law and time will be on your side.

Good luck!

Comment

• brothernic
                brothernic commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for your words of advice. I've made mistakes in my younger years most people do, I've been clean for going on 2 years now so hopefully things work out.

I know I'm going to have to wait a bit, could you guys give me a timeline to where I would have a chance of getting accepted, 2 years? 5?. Even if it takes me over achieving and putting a lot more effort into getting accepted.

Comment

I’m pessimistic about your chances. But if I had to throw a number at you, I’d guess 7 years minium from your Dwls in 2015.

Comment

For my agency, you'd probably have to put in 5 - 10 years from your latest incident. We would not hire you.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9223 users online. 330 members and 8893 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X