300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background History Statement dilemma//

I recently was turned down at a department because my BI packet was "incomplete or something omitted/ withheld". I know this about it: I realized I had left out 2 jobs that I had worked for only a few days and I am pretty sure that my dates of employment were not accurate. I was very ill prepared because this was a position in dispatch and didn't expect a 10 day limit to fill out this packet. I tried to call past jobs for dates that I neglected to record, but these were jobs such as greenhouse worker (closed), and mom and pop shops ( also closed) and didn't have much luck. I did my best and turned it in. Big mistake. I should have just admitted that it was incomplete and withdrew my application. So, now I am trying to get all of my dates and contacts in perfect order but it still isn't working out. Is there a way to get employment records from the IRS so that I know for sure my dates are accurate for my next try?

Hi Rebeccah,

First, I can't emphasize strongly enough how important thoroughness, accuracy and attention to detail is in a dispatcher. Not only can it save lives in an emergency situation, but later in court it is essential to ensure the right person is convicted rather than the wrong one, and it protects the employing agency and its police officers against claims of misconduct and civil liability.

With that said, contact you local Social Security office and ask for a wage and earnings statement. It should tell you who you worked for and when.

Additionally, please download the two below forms, do the required research necessary to answer their questions and fill them out now. They are fairly typical of what is asked in most personal history statements. By doing your research now, having the information available and readily at hand, it should make filling out Personal History Statements for future employers a quick and easy task.

Finally, keep a copy of every application and Personal History Statement you submit to every employer you apply to. Always refer back to them when submitting a new application. This ensures your answers are consistent and always match. When you answer X to a question with one employer and then answer Y to the same question with another employer, giving different answers to the same question raises a red flag. It looks like you have lied, or are unable to read and comprehend simple questions, or lack thoroughness, accuracy or attention to detail, any of which are grounds for disqualification.

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...ispatchers.doc

lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/2-251-phsPeaceOfficers.doc
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Rebeccahmltn
      Rebeccahmltn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much.

Originally posted by Rebeccahmltn View Post
    I recently was turned down at a department because my BI packet was "incomplete or something omitted/ withheld". I know this about it: I realized I had left out 2 jobs that I had worked for only a few days and I am pretty sure that my dates of employment were not accurate. I was very ill prepared because this was a position in dispatch and didn't expect a 10 day limit to fill out this packet. I tried to call past jobs for dates that I neglected to record, but these were jobs such as greenhouse worker (closed), and mom and pop shops ( also closed) and didn't have much luck. I did my best and turned it in. Big mistake. I should have just admitted that it was incomplete and withdrew my application. So, now I am trying to get all of my dates and contacts in perfect order but it still isn't working out. Is there a way to get employment records from the IRS so that I know for sure my dates are accurate for my next try?
    There is no "dilemma"

Put the jobs and their APPROXIMATE dates on the form THEN EXPLAIN it is the best you can do JUST like you just did here.

It's not rocket science.

Being "ill prepared" for ANYTHING in the Law Enforcement hiring process is not a good thing, as you found out.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6001 users online. 323 members and 5678 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X