300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans of LE, I would like your advice on the oral interview

This is my second post here. My first post was about an oral interview question that tripped me up for San Bernardino. I have been disqualified after that interview.

I have an interview with the City of Monrovia and I want this one, Bad! this IS the city I want to work in.

What question should I expect? How should I prepare? Any insight is appreciated. I am already learning about the city, the structure of the department and watching different interviews with the Chief to learn about how he runs the department. But I feel thats not enough.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Voltaparabol; 07-11-2017, 11:55 PM.

Be prepared to answer just about any question posed to you. Here's one that you may encounter.

"What would you do if you observed your best friend rubbing peanut butter on his junk and letting your dog lick it off?"

Kidding aside, you had a taste of what to expect from your last experience. Be prepared to answer similar questions as well as a lot more questions that will make you think on your feet and respond appropriately.

Good luck!

Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      Was it chunky or smooth?

There are no set questions, Typically, this is what a California oral scores you on:
    • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
    • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
    • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
    • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
    • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
    • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    • Do your research – learn about the department, the job, the community, current law enforcement issues within the community
    • Dress appropriately – remember that this is a “professional” interview
    • Be prepared – arrive about 15 minutes early; plan and/or drive your route ahead of time; allow for delays due to traffic, parking, etc.
    • Remain calm – interviews are inherently stressful; however, if you have prepared yourself, you should be able to relax and enjoy the interview process
    • Be gracious – at the end of the interview, take time to thank each interviewer and shake their hand

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• espantoon
      espantoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Quality posts like these should automatically close the thread. There is nothing more to say.

OP, memorize this.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
    There are no set questions, Typically, this is what a California oral scores you on:
    • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
    • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
    • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
    • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
    • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
    • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
    • Do your research – learn about the department, the job, the community, current law enforcement issues within the community
    • Dress appropriately – remember that this is a “professional” interview
    • Be prepared – arrive about 15 minutes early; plan and/or drive your route ahead of time; allow for delays due to traffic, parking, etc.
    • Remain calm – interviews are inherently stressful; however, if you have prepared yourself, you should be able to relax and enjoy the interview process
    • Be gracious – at the end of the interview, take time to thank each interviewer and shake their hand

Thank you for this!

Comment

As you know Monrovia is a SMALL department. Learn about the city and the department. Even go as to learn what the symbols on their patch and city decals mean. And be prepared as to why you want to work there
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4558 users online. 197 members and 4361 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X