Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I still get hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I still get hired?

    Hello everyone, and thanks for looking at this. I've been applying to different departments, and recently got very far along in the application process for a department I thought was a great fit. I revealed in my initial interview that 4 years ago I visited a massage parlor in California and got a "happy ending". While they only noted this at the time, when it came time to do my BRAINS assesment (an online psych eval/questions about past actions, I don't know if thats a national thing) this incident made the department loose all interest in me, and sent me a formal rejection letter.

    I'm deadset on being a LEO and will continue applying to other departments, but was wondering if this would continue to be an issue no matter where I went, or (if it is a DQ) is there any kind of waiver process I could go through to be hired anyway?

    Thank you

  • #2
    Prostitution is illegal. You committed a moral turpitude crime.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tank72 View Post
      Hello everyone, and thanks for looking at this. I've been applying to different departments, and recently got very far along in the application process for a department I thought was a great fit. I revealed in my initial interview that 4 years ago I visited a massage parlor in California and got a "happy ending". While they only noted this at the time, when it came time to do my BRAINS assesment (an online psych eval/questions about past actions, I don't know if thats a national thing) this incident made the department loose all interest in me, and sent me a formal rejection letter.

      I'm deadset on being a LEO and will continue applying to other departments, but was wondering if this would continue to be an issue no matter where I went, or (if it is a DQ) is there any kind of waiver process I could go through to be hired anyway?

      Thank you
      Nope and nope.
      Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
      In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

      Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
      Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
      Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

      Comment


      • #4
        Read the above two answers. You will have no better answers

        There are no "waivers" in law enforcement hiring. You are either qualified or you are not
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-03-2017, 08:47 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Read the above two answers. You will have no better answers

          There are no "waivers" in law enforcement hiring. You are either qualified or you are not
          Understood sir, I phrased my question poorly, waivers not what I should have said. What I was trying to ask is that although this clearly reflects negatively on me, will it be an automatic disqualification for other departments as well, or is there still the possibility I could be hired as long as everything else in my background is clear and I perform well on the boards and physical tests? When I said "Can I still get hired" I should have specified, if I can still get hired in Law enforcement in general, not that I was trying to obtain a waiver and still be hired by this department.

          I saw similar questions, but they involved several encounters with a prostitute, and much more recently. I wasn't sure if a 1 time event 4 years ago would be DQ no matter where I looked.
          Last edited by Tank72; 07-04-2017, 06:08 AM.

          Comment


          • #6


            Originally posted by Tank72 View Post

            Understood sir, I phrased my question poorly, waivers not what I should have said. What I was trying to ask is that although this clearly reflects negatively on me, will it be an automatic disqualification for other departments as well, or is there still the possibility I could be hired as long as everything else in my background is clear and I perform well on the boards and physical tests? When I said "Can I still get hired" I should have specified, if I can still get hired in Law enforcement in general, not that I was trying to obtain a waiver and still be hired by this department.

            I saw similar questions, but they involved several encounters with a prostitute, and much more recently. I wasn't sure if a 1 time event 4 years ago would be DQ no matter where I looked.
            Again , read this
            Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Prostitution is illegal. You committed a moral turpitude crime.
            I often quote the "requirements" for the Iowa Department of Public Safety........The Iowa State Patrol............as a reference point since their GOOD MORAL CHARACTER description is quite detailed and mirror those of most larger agencies
            http://www.dps.state.ia.us/jobs/Mini...ations_T.shtml
            GOOD MORAL CHARACTER:
            An applicant must be of good moral character, which means that he or she can be trusted and is considered by those who know him/her to be a person of good reputation and good standing in the community.
            When conduct is of a nature, that, if known, would tend to discredit the applicant as a peace officer, the applicant will not be employed.
            The character of a person is determined by past behavior. Many factors are relevant in this assessment. The Department seeks applicants whose histories show good judgment, maturity, a sense of responsibility, and the respect of others. Several factors will be considered:
            1. Conviction or commission of a felony (as defined by Iowa law) will disqualify an applicant.
            2. Conviction or commission of an aggravated or serious misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa law), will be evaluated.
            3. Conviction of domestic assault, child abuse, or other conviction resulting from domestic or child abuse will disqualify an applicant.
            4. A consistent pattern of unexplained failures to meet debt obligations will be evaluated.
            5. An applicant who gives false or misleading information to the Department at any time during the application process may be disqualified.
            6. History of excessive use of alcohol will be evaluated.
            7. Unlawful sale of ANY controlled substance will disqualify an applicant.
            8. An applicant who has used any illegal drug while employed in any law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or while employed in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust, will be found unsuitable for employment.
            9. An applicant who is discovered to have misrepresented his/her drug history in completing the application will be found unsuitable for employment.
            10. An applicant who has used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, will be found unsuitable for employment.
            11. An applicant who has used marijuana within the past three years will be found unsuitable for employment. Any admission of use of marijuana before this three year period will be evaluated.


            To determine whether you meet the Department's drug policy, please answer the following questions:
            1. Have you used marijuana at all within the past three years?
            2. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991)?
            3. Have you ever sold any illegal drug for profit?
            4. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?


            If you answered YES to any of the above four questions, you are immediately disqualified and should NOT apply for a peace officer position with the Department of Public Safety.

            Other conduct not specified will be evaluated.

            In Iowa Prostitution is an aggravated misdemeanor in Iowa

            So, while the "incident" would be evaluated per the posted standards the cold hard truth is ........there are many, many, many people out there applying for police jobs who don't carry the baggage you do.

            You don't bring anything special to the table that MIGHT offset this offense-------------so your chances are slim
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

            Comment


            • Tank72
              Tank72 commented
              Editing a comment
              Roger, appreciate you not sugarcoating it for me.

          • #7
            I, on the other hand, have no moral character. Where was it that you got that gratifying massage?
            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

            Comment


            • #8
              First of all, I've said this before and I'll probably say it again: it's a bit absurd when people post their inner most secrets about past picadillos wanting advice from a bunch strangers on an internet forum. You got a happy ending at a massage parlor? Good for you. Information I didn't need to know.

              Now for a serious response. Four years ago is fairly recent the bigger scheme of things. Also, there's a difference between admitting you did 'this and that' 15 years ago when you were 18 or you did 'this and that' 4 years ago when you were 28, if that's a factor.

              As far as being an automatic DQ, I would argue that depends. Yes in many places but not all. There are departments that don't ask such questions; as long as you aren't a felon and can fog a mirror, you're solid.

              As far as a 'waiver process' for an applicant to continue on when derogatory information surfaces, well, that made me laugh!

              Terrell County Deputy: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?

              Sheriff: If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here..

              No Country For Old Men

              Comment


              • Tank72
                Tank72 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wasn't wild about putting it out there, but figured nobody would be able to give an opinion without atleast some kind of description about what I've done.

                Thanks for the response

            • #9
              Apply in Nevada, where such conduct is lawful and licensed by the government. I don't believe you will have an issue there..
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 5435 users online. 388 members and 5047 guests.

              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X