Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background Issue - should I bother applying?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Issue - should I bother applying?

Hey guys,

So I had a question that I haven't seen answered on here, even after searching. I'm a college student about to graduate soon and apply for law enforcement jobs. The only issue I see myself having on the background questionnaire is that I was accused of sexual harassment in high school. Now please don't prejudge me and take into account my explanation here:

I went to a private Catholic school that was pretty strict about disciplinary matters. After the accusation, I was brought in by the Dean of Student Affairs and explained what had happened. He obviously talked to the girl who accused me, and she did not want to file charges, or even have me expelled from school. After the Dean explained what happened to the girls parents, they did not want to file charges or have me expelled either. This was partially because the Dean stood up for my character and my integrity. If she or her parents had wanted this, or if the Dean thought I was a liability and thought the issue was serious enough, I would have been expelled in a heartbeat. All I got was a 3 day suspension that didn't even show up on my central school records, and nobody even knew about it in my school.

I have since gone on to have a totally normal life, gone to college and joined a Greek organization, and I have NEVER had any issue similar to this one since. I have no arrest history and recommendations from all my former employers. However, I understand how this must look to someone who doesn't know me. Would any department even consider hiring me or should I pursue a different career?

Originally posted by BCM1995 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I had a question that I haven't seen answered on here, even after searching. I'm a college student about to graduate soon and apply for law enforcement jobs. The only issue I see myself having on the background questionnaire is that I was accused of sexual harassment in high school. Now please don't prejudge me and take into account my explanation here:

I went to a private Catholic school that was pretty strict about disciplinary matters. After the accusation, I was brought in by the Dean of Student Affairs and explained what had happened. He obviously talked to the girl who accused me, and she did not want to file charges, or even have me expelled from school. After the Dean explained what happened to the girls parents, they did not want to file charges or have me expelled either. This was partially because the Dean stood up for my character and my integrity. If she or her parents had wanted this, or if the Dean thought I was a liability and thought the issue was serious enough, I would have been expelled in a heartbeat. All I got was a 3 day suspension that didn't even show up on my central school records, and nobody even knew about it in my school.

I have since gone on to have a totally normal life, gone to college and joined a Greek organization, and I have NEVER had any issue similar to this one since. I have no arrest history and recommendations from all my former employers. However, I understand how this must look to someone who doesn't know me. Would any department even consider hiring me or should I pursue a different career?
    Given that you haven't told us what it is you did, I'm going to say the crystal ball is out for cleaning.

How a department views such a matter depends on your actual conduct. If you merely batted your eyes at her, you're probably OK. OTOH if you groped her, I wouldn't bother applying.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I agree. It's strange that a kid in HS can be accused of sexual harassment but that's a label. What actually took place is the real concern. I agree w/ L-1. Saying an ill advised adolescent hormone filled teenage boy comment is one thing. Attacking, accosting, publishing nude photos of the complainant are an entirely different animal. Not enough info.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Given that you haven't told us what it is you did, I'm going to say the crystal ball is out for cleaning.

How a department views such a matter depends on your actual conduct. If you merely batted your eyes at her, you're probably OK. OTOH if you groped her, I wouldn't bother applying.
        Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
        I agree. It's strange that a kid in HS can be accused of sexual harassment but that's a label. What actually took place is the real concern. I agree w/ L-1. Saying an ill advised adolescent hormone filled teenage boy comment is one thing. Attacking, accosting, publishing nude photos of the complainant are an entirely different animal. Not enough info.
        I have a problem with him getting a 3 day suspension (THAT DOESN'T SHOW ON HIS TRANSCRIPT)

Not making a bit of sense what so ever.

That doesn't happen
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I have a problem with him getting a 3 day suspension (THAT DOESN'T SHOW ON HIS TRANSCRIPT)

Not making a bit of sense what so ever.

That doesn't happen
          I have no clue about the rest of the country, but where I went to high school in New Jersey, only my grades were in my transcript. Nothing disciplinary can be found on it
          NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
          List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
          APD -???

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger9314 View Post

I have no clue about the rest of the country, but where I went to high school in New Jersey, only my grades were in my transcript. Nothing disciplinary can be found on it
            It's been 40 yrs since I looked at my transcript.................but I had no disciplinary matters on it anyway.

It should be there because transcripts are designed to be sent to OTHER educational institutions as a way of letting them know your school background

But anyway he said ...........central school records...............which may or may not be the same thing and I might be thinking of the record file instead of transcripts.Because suspensions ARE recorded somewhere

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think what happened would look bad enough for me to not bother applying. I was telling you guys the complete truth in that post
              (why would I lie about it in a forum?), but as far as exactly what happened, it was 8 years ago, so I don't remember it that well. But I do remember that it was a horribly stupid mistake that I'll never repeat again. But I wouldn't blame a LE agency for seeing that and saying no thanks. I would do the same thing if I was them. Thanks for the response guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BCM1995 View Post
                Hey guys,

Best thing you can do is be honest. Honesty and integrity are 2 very big things so don't try to hide anything. Leave it up to the agency to decide. I would at least try a few agencies to see what happens. If you can't get into the career, so be it. Our life choices lead us to where we are, just deal with the hand your dealt.

Comment

asked and answered. closing thread.
                  sigpic
                  The Web's Source for Law Enforcement
                  PM for Technical Support or visit our contact page.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5327 users online. 313 members and 5014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X