Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I become a LEO with this medical condition?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I become a LEO with this medical condition?

I sometimes get migraines and I need over-the-counter medicine to make them go away (Advil, ibuprofen, Tylenol). I do not lose sight, hearing, thinking ability, or any of my small motor skills, and I do not need to take any type of prescribed medication. So, could I still become a police officer with this condition?

Not enough information about your condition. Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Neuro.pdf and read the section about primary headache disorders. It will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Not enough information about your condition. Go here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Neuro.pdf and read the section about primary headache disorders. It will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
      Thank you for sending me that; I read it ,and I've never missed work, school, or anything because of my headaches; I also also do not take any medicine that affects my neurological state. I do not vomit, get vertigo, nausea, and I require no special accommodations. I can do all functions with a migraine ,but it's just not very comfortable. I can answer any other questions about my condition if there is any need for more information.

Comment

I can't provide you with any more information than is in the manual. Print it out, take it to your doctor and ask him to read it. Ask him to pretend he is the police department physician who is being paid to represent their interests and not yours. Ask him if he would clear you for hiring based on those standards knowing what he does about your condition and past treatment. That will give you an idea as to where you stand.

Comment

I agree. A lot of it will come down to what your doctor says. A lot of officers carry those medications in their bag. ...Could even sell it during the interview: "I know you all get migraines from this job, but I'm already experienced in that area!" (that's a joke, by the way).

Comment

Originally posted by Dedede123 View Post
            ..Could even sell it during the interview: "I know you all get migraines from this job, but I'm already experienced in that area!" (that's a joke, by the way).
            I disagree. Under the Americans With Disabilities Act (Federal Law) a prospective employer may not discuss medical issues with you except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. (You are offered employment subject to successfully passing a physican and psych.) Even then, police personnel lack the expertise and training necessary to pass judgment on medical conditions and such conversations should only take place with licensed professionals conducting the medical exam.

Comment

• Dedede123
              Dedede123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Do what he said. Don't lie, but don't bring it up. ESPECIALLY if you think it's unnecessary to and won't effect job performance.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4277 users online. 305 members and 3972 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X