Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 internal affairs in 10 years of being police officer

Hello everyone!
    I am a wife of a police officer. And I have a question.
    I apologise for any mistake you might find in this topic, English is not my first language.

In 10 years of law enforcement my husband had three I.A.

First I.A. was initiated in 2012. Basically while he was arresting some guy he put his wallet on the roof of police car and forgot about it. Lately the guy accused him of stealing the money.
    Conclusion: Unsustained

Second I.A. Was initiated in July of 2013 for cellphone violation (he used his phone on duty) and misuse of time, he would waste 30-40 minutes on his night shift talking to acquaintances.
    Conclusion: he was ordered to take two days of unpaid leave.

Third I.A. was initiated in February of 2014.
    His ex wife accused him of domestic violence.
    Conclusion: Unfounded .

Right now he is on background check with another agency. He passed his polygraph. I am curious if the background investigator can stop the process after looking at his investigations and do not proceed any further ( like not talking to his current administration or references)?!
    How bad does it look on a lateral police officer?
    It's been three years since his last investigation. His evaluations are great. Does time matter?

Thank you very much.

Not enough information to give you a meaningful response. Let's delve a bit into these matters.

Let's start with the wallet theft allegation. OK, he put it on the car roof and forgot about it. You say the theft charge was unsustained, so what happened? What was sustained? Did he drive off, the wallet fell off and it was lost? If that happened in my agency, a charge of Inexcusable Neglect of Duty would have been sustained for failing to properly care for a prisoner's property. Need more info here.

Onto the cellphone issue. Was it his phone or the department's phone? If it was the department's phone I can see a sustained charge of misuse of department resources. If it was his phone, my first question is how did they examine his personal phone records to determine the amount of time spent on calls during his watch without a warrant and why did they pursue this? Did the number calls and length of his phone use cause him to inexcusably neglect his other duties? Here's a hint - officers chat on their personal phones all the time, but departments don't go after them for doing so unless they tend to be marginal cops and their agency is itching for an excuse to ding them.

Domestic violence. Not good, but the fact that it is categorized as unfounded is a blessing. Unfounded means there was no reasonable grounds for believing the charge to be true in the first place. Nonetheless, it will cause the background investigator to rummage around into the old marriage. If there are any skeletons...well, you can figure out the rest.

Based solely on the limited information you have provided, the first two incidents are red flags. The first one suggests your husband may be neglectful and lacks attention to detail. The second one creates the impression that he may be a marginal screw off the department is looking to get rid of and is willing to hammer him with any petty thing they can find to push him out the door or in the alternative, bit*h slap him to get his attention and make him fly right. When you combine that with the fact that he is now trying to make a lateral move away from his agency, I (as a BI) would be talking to as many coworkers and supervisors as possible to get the straight scoop and find out if this is an OK guy or someone to drop like a hot potato.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      Yes, he put the wallet on the top of his car and drove to jail. The wallet was lost. The guy claimed he had $20. No further charges.

About second I.A.. He was using his own cell phone on duty and the department had a policy no personal cell phone on duty . There is more to this story. He started dating the Chief's daughter. (Wasn't a wise decision). The Chief found out about it and seems like he tried to get him for anything as u mentioned before.
      Yes, it wasn't brightest decision on police officer's side and I see where the Chief is coming from but still in my mind it should not be work related. By the way a year later the Chief was forced to resign after having his own I.A..

My husband gets along with all his co-workers and they love him. Current administration is great as well.
      Every time I go to the store I meet people who were arrested by my husband I hear from them how nice he is as a person and a police officer. The reason we want to move into different city is because less crime and we are planning on having babies + better pay. It's not because he can not get along with his department and running away.

I know that all his I.A. don't look good on paper and that's why it would be nice if B.I. could look deeper into it, talk to people and do his own investigation.

About domestic violence. What is the reason to talk to ex wife? It's is obvious to everyone she is going to say nasty things. There were no police calls or medical records because it never occurred. She made her allegations of domestic violence after getting a DUI. She accused the department of subotaging her. But I am not investigator so have no idea how things work.
      Last edited by Mishutka; 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Not enough information to give you a meaningful response. Let's delve a bit into these matters.

Let's start with the wallet theft allegation. OK, he put it on the car roof and forgot about it. You say the theft charge was unsustained, so what happened? What was sustained? Did he drive off, the wallet fell off and it was lost? If that happened in my agency, a charge of Inexcusable Neglect of Duty would have been sustained for failing to properly care for a prisoner's property. Need more info here.

Onto the cellphone issue. Was it his phone or the department's phone? If it was the department's phone I can see a sustained charge of misuse of department resources. If it was his phone, my first question is how did they examine his personal phone records to determine the amount of time spent on calls during his watch without a warrant and why did they pursue this? Did the number calls and length of his phone use cause him to inexcusably neglect his other duties? Here's a hint - officers chat on their personal phones all the time, but departments don't go after them for doing so unless they tend to be marginal cops and their agency is itching for an excuse to ding them.

Domestic violence. Not good, but the fact that it is categorized as unfounded is a blessing. Unfounded means there was no reasonable grounds for believing the charge to be true in the first place. Nonetheless, it will cause the background investigator to rummage around into the old marriage. If there are any skeletons...well, you can figure out the rest.

Based solely on the limited information you have provided, the first two incidents are red flags. The first one suggests your husband may be neglectful and lacks attention to detail. The second one creates the impression that he may be a marginal screw off the department is looking to get rid of and is willing to hammer him with any petty thing they can find to push him out the door or in the alternative, bit*h slap him to get his attention and make him fly right. When you combine that with the fact that he is now trying to make a lateral move away from his agency, I (as a BI) would be talking to as many coworkers and supervisors as possible to get the straight scoop and find out if this is an OK guy or someone to drop like a hot potato.
        Best reply you're going to get. Embrace it, it is the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishutka View Post
          Thank you for your reply.
          Yes, he put the wallet on the top of his car and drove to jail. The wallet was lost. The guy claimed he had $20. No further charges.

About second I.A.. He was using his own cell phone on duty and the department had a policy no personal cell phone on duty . There is more to this story. He started dating the Chief's daughter. (Wasn't a wise decision). The Chief found out about it and seems like he tried to get him for anything as u mentioned before.
          Yes, it wasn't brightest decision on police officer's side and I see where the Chief is coming from but still in my mind it should not be work related. By the way a year later the Chief was forced to resign after having his own I.A..

My husband gets along with all his co-workers and they love him. Current administration is great as well.
          Every time I go to the store I meet people who were arrested by my husband I hear from them how nice he is as a person and a police officer. The reason we want to move into different city is because less crime and we are planning on having babies + better pay. It's not because he can not get along with his department and running away.

I know that all his I.A. don't look good on paper and that's why it would be nice if B.I. could look deeper into it, talk to people and do his own investigation.

About domestic violence. What is the reason to talk to ex wife? It's is obvious to everyone she is going to say nasty things. There were no police calls or medical records because it never occurred. She made her allegations of domestic violence after getting a DUI. She accused the department of subotaging her. But I am not investigator so have no idea how things work.
          I totally agree with what L-1 posted above-------------however

The bottom line is your husband DOES have a sustained Internal Affairs case where he was accused of not following policy relating to cell phone usage on duty.

This will not be a PLUS when the BI digs into his background. He directly ignored policy.................that is a big thing.

Also stop with anyone else's history (like the Chief getting fired) The only thing that matters is YOUR HUSBANDS background ........period

YES the investigator will talk to the ex-wife...........................She is part of his background and anything she has to say is relevant.

Like you said................YOU are not an investigator. The Investigator that conducts your husbands BI will be one. Most BI's are seasoned investigators and are able to sift through the BS and -----------------actually understand little things like Office politics and relationship crap.

Once again .....................the one sustained case noted above will leave a mark on him.................how big a mark completely depends on the agency he is applying to.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I totally agree with what L-1 posted above-------------however

The bottom line is your husband DOES have a sustained Internal Affairs case where he was accused of not following policy relating to cell phone usage on duty.

This will not be a PLUS when the BI digs into his background. He directly ignored policy.................that is a big thing.

Also stop with anyone else's history (like the Chief getting fired) The only thing that matters is YOUR HUSBANDS background ........period

YES the investigator will talk to the ex-wife...........................She is part of his background and anything she has to say is relevant.

Like you said................YOU are not an investigator. The Investigator that conducts your husbands BI will be one. Most BI's are seasoned investigators and are able to sift through the BS and -----------------actually understand little things like Office politics and relationship crap.

Once again .....................the one sustained case noted above will leave a mark on him.................how big a mark completely depends on the agency he is applying to.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate a lot.
            Well, the reason I mentioned his former Chief is to show that he was a little bit unfair to his department and not to point fingers. Of course my husband didn't obey the policy of the department and should take full responsibility for it. He understands it as well.
            Last edited by Mishutka; 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about somebody who's been a cop for 10 years who had 0 internals on the record....
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                Honestly, I'd be more concerned about somebody who's been a cop for 10 years who had 0 internals on the record....
                True.........................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

It is so unfair and not right that people can destroy somebody's career and life by making false allegations. Pretty much anyone can accuse you of anything and it will leave big stain on your reputation?! I just can't get it.
                  Usually violent people agressive towards almost everybody not just the spouse and have at least one I.A. for misuse of force!

Comment

Originally posted by Mishutka View Post

It is so unfair and not right that people can destroy somebody's career and life by making false allegations. Pretty much anyone can accuse you of anything and it will leave big stain on your reputation?! I just can't get it.
                    Oh quit acting like a crybaby.........................

INVESTIGATORS know how to evaluate statements made during this situations..................

You crying about this will be more stressful to your hubby than anything else

Comment

When applying to my current agency, the BI spoke to both of my ex wives. Both said some pretty heinous things, and both said some pretty nice things. I don't know exactly what was said, or how it was said, but he BI indicated that he was surprised by some of the things he was told, and even asked me a few follow up questions to put the responses into context. Reality is people are human and they will say things that are their version of how an incident occurred. Best bet is for your husband to be fully and completely honest and do his best to cooperate with the BI and see what happens.

I had my first IA three weeks OTJ with my agency. I was assigned to guard a prisoner who escaped. Once the investigation concluded, it was determined that I did nothing wrong other than being on the detail when the escape happened. I followed proper procedure. Another member of the team I was working with messed up.

Be truthful and honest and you don't need to have a very good memory. :-)
                      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Oh quit acting like a crybaby.........................

INVESTIGATORS know how to evaluate statements made during this situations..................

You crying about this will be more stressful to your hubby than anything else
                        Well I am not crying about this to my Husband, that's why I am Here! And seems like some agencies put him on background and drop him after pre-background interview without Investigating therefore I have my reasons to be worried and upset!

Anyway thank you to everyone for your advices and opinions. They are greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                          When applying to my current agency, the BI spoke to both of my ex wives. Both said some pretty heinous things, and both said some pretty nice things. I don't know exactly what was said, or how it was said, but he BI indicated that he was surprised by some of the things he was told, and even asked me a few follow up questions to put the responses into context. Reality is people are human and they will say things that are their version of how an incident occurred. Best bet is for your husband to be fully and completely honest and do his best to cooperate with the BI and see what happens.

I had my first IA three weeks OTJ with my agency. I was assigned to guard a prisoner who escaped. Once the investigation concluded, it was determined that I did nothing wrong other than being on the detail when the escape happened. I followed proper procedure. Another member of the team I was working with messed up.

Be truthful and honest and you don't need to have a very good memory. :-)
                          Thank you very much for sharing your story!
                          Yes, my husband disclosed everything to BI. I guess honesty is fundamental to being a police officer. ))

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9503 users online. 449 members and 9054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X