300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for job questions.

I am a junior in college and plan on pursuing a job as a police officer when I graduate. I am pretty unfamiliar with the application process, but I know it can be long. I am wondering when I should start applying for jobs so I can start as soon as possible after graduating in May 2018. Also, I am wondering about applying for jobs in other states. Do I need to be in person for the application process or can I do it all remotely.

Originally posted by EvanWRunner View Post
    I am a junior in college and plan on pursuing a job as a police officer when I graduate. I am pretty unfamiliar with the application process, but I know it can be long. I am wondering when I should start applying for jobs so I can start as soon as possible after graduating in May 2018. Also, I am wondering about applying for jobs in other states. Do I need to be in person for the application process or can I do it all remotely.
    The answer to all of your questions is .................IT DEPENDS.

Every agency has different processes and timelines.

The reality is that most successful candidates apply at about 10-20 agencies over 2-7 yrs before getting hired. Of course that is an average. Some people get hired on the first attempt.......some never get hired
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you are applying with large agencies, I would start now. Most do not require a degree and where I'm at, having one may only score you an extra point on the oral exam. When written and oral scores are combined to give you our final score, that extra point doesn't necessarily make you that much more competitive.

The hiring process is usually long and drawn out. If you start now filing applications, odds are you might get picked up at around graduation time.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The Agency that I work for is hiring a lot of people and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. You would need to make one and possibly two trips here. I know they try to consolidate the process for out of state candidates. They also travel to various cities. Good luck to you.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by EvanWRunner View Post
          1) Start now. Even if you get an offer before you finish your degree it is pretty fair odds that the position would be saved for you until you did, especially at larger agencies.
          2) You can apply from anywhere but when you participate in the various testing phases you will be required to do so in person, often times with each phase being a separate trip there.
          3) From first submitting an application to final job offer can easily go longer than a year.
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
            The Agency that I work for is hiring a lot of people and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. You would need to make one and possibly two trips here. I know they try to consolidate the process for out of state candidates. They also travel to various cities. Good luck to you.
            what agency is this ???

Comment

City of Atlanta PD
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

That explains the openings...

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'm about to go through an appeals process because I passed every stage in the process and it says I was disqualified for contradictory information which I believe it's just a misreading of the statements I was told to provide. My question is, is it bad to be attempting the appeals process and applying for other agencies at the same time just in case it doesn't work out?

Comment

Originally posted by TankerM1A1 View Post
                    I'm about to go through an appeals process because I passed every stage in the process and it says I was disqualified for contradictory information which I believe it's just a misreading of the statements I was told to provide. My question is, is it bad to be attempting the appeals process and applying for other agencies at the same time just in case it doesn't work out?
                    So you want to work for an agency that doesn't want you to work for them? Yea, you are going to try to FORCE then to hire you......

THAT is sure a recipe for success.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

So you want to work for an agency that doesn't want you to work for them? Yea, you are going to try to FORCE then to hire you......

Im not forcing them they did not disqualify me completely I was told I could appeal by the department and that I can also apply in 2 years so I know it was nothing major or I wouldn't have been given the opportunity to do so but that's here nor there. Do you have a legit answer or opinion to my question?

Comment

Im not forcing them they did not disqualify me completely I was told I could appeal by the department and that I can also apply in 2 years so I know it was nothing major or I wouldn't have been given the opportunity to do so but that's here nor there. Do you have a legit answer or opinion to my question?
                        That was a legit answer and if your attitude showed up, I see why they DQ'd you. There is no such thing as sort of DQ,d.
                        Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                        In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                        Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                        Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Yep I have a legit answer to your queston..............................
                          You were disqualified by the agency (per your post).................you asked if you should appeal

MY ANSWER was------------------

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

If you appeal and win...................YES, you would be forcing them to hire you after they told you once they didn't want you.

Telling you to re-apply in 2 yrs is a hint...........................one that pretty much anyone could take if they were paying attention

Comment

lol I don't nor did I have attitude I was just a question to gain an answer because my recruiter told me to appeal which I'm inclined to follow someone's orders that has more experience than me in the department. If you're allowed to appeal based off information read incorrectly or being misjudged wouldn't you want the opportunity to at least find out what DQ you at the moment or at least prove yourself. I served this country in the military and I am continuing to do so I just want to serve the city the same way so that's why I ask. I meant no disrespect so if I offended any of you by asking this question i apologize.

Comment

They will always tell you to appeal. It's just done to ensure no bias.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8640 users online. 476 members and 8164 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X