300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminated from most recent employer

I just graduated the academy and have been working at my most recent job for almost 5 years. I just got terminated because I got caught up with some other employees altering our time records. In my term letter it said "gross misconduct". Ive never been fired before so this is why I'm asking for help. On the same day I got terminated, I got an email from an agency I applied for to attend their PAT test and written evaluation. I admit I screwed up and shouldn't have done what I did and realize this will probably hinder my chances of ever getting a job in LE. At my job when I got caught I was altering my times by a few mins here and there to prevent me from being "tardy" in return I got the absolute worst possibly outcome. I realized I messed up and when the agency proceeds with my background check my employer will most likely bring this up. Are there any background investigators who have experienced this with any candidate? any help is much appreciated.

Hopefully, you came her seeking the truth. This is a huge no-no and you now have a hurdle to get over because it is a personal integrity issue and is considered a theft (read: a crime of moral turpitude). Loopholes, technicalities and excuses aside, it doesn't matter that you weren't charged / prosecuted / convicted of this crime, the underlying issue is it is a work-related theft.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

From a BI's point of view this will be categorized as falsification of public documents (time card), theft of public funds and dishonesty by a five year vet. You are an auto DQ.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Integrity is at the very basis of all we do. You knew that when you falsified an official record, you know it now. Thus endeth the lecture on personal ethics. Past that, I refer you to the replies of my colleagues, both of which are 100% correct.

Comment

Sure hope you didn't self-sponsor through the academy. It appears that you're done. :-(
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Maybe you can alter your termination letter and make it into a promotion...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              It's true. You could probably promote yourself to Chief, and hire yourself back.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I just got terminated because I got caught up with some other employees altering our time records. In my term letter it said "gross misconduct".
                No LE agency will touch you for years if ever.

in return I got the absolute worst possibly outcome.
                No you didn't. You could have been charged with fraud or forgery depending on your state's statutes.

We just fired a guy in FTO for falsifying his time card repeatedly.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-05-2016, 10:29 PM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

We just fired a guy in FTO for falsifying his time card repeatedly.
                  Just curious because I haven't had to "clock in" anywhere for over 22 years (been on salary)...but do cops literally have time cards and clock into a time-stamp machine at the beginning and end of shift?

Comment

Originally posted by stray321 View Post
                    Just curious because I haven't had to "clock in" anywhere for over 22 years (been on salary)...but do cops literally have time cards and clock into a time-stamp machine at the beginning and end of shift?
                    Not in any shop I've ever worked in; we have radio logs and the honor-system.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

How deep do BI go into previous employers? Do they ask for Work performance, ethic? Or do they just ask for a personnel file?

Comment

Very deep. If you're asking, you should be concerned...
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by t.barnes00 View Post
                          How deep do BI go into previous employers? Do they ask for Work performance, ethic? Or do they just ask for a personnel file?
                          Pull your file, talk to all the supervisors, talk to your fellow employees, and talk to customers/contacts you may have had during your employment.

Of course, in your case, as soon as it's revealed you were terminated for defrauding the company, you'll be DQ'd and the BI won't have to dig that deep anymore.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                            That was funny!
                            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by t.barnes00 View Post
                              My man, you have serious Brady issues, so no dept will touch you.

Also, try to get into your old police mode. If you tell a future employer that you left XPD, they'll ask why. If you say you were terminated, they'll ask why. If you say, you just quit, they'll ask why. In any of these events, they will check with the XPD and the first thing they'll tell your BI is that you were terminated for falsifying a record. Be honest with yourself. You really f*cked up and need to find a new profession.
                              Last edited by GoldBadge; 11-06-2016, 08:58 PM.
                              They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14264 users online. 475 members and 13789 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X