Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i still become a police officer

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I have a question about my suitability as a police officer or sheriff. When I was 13, I was being bullied almost everyday and the pain became intolerable. I was scared and did not tell anyone; I made the dumb decision to join a gang to scare my bullies off. Ironically a day after I joined I told my principle and those kids were kicked out of school and I did not have anymore bully problems. I also told this local gang that I want nothing to do with them. They called me names etc and I never had any contact with them again. I knew it was stupid and I came to my senses really quick. That was seven years ago and now i'm on the right path. I just finished my enlistment in the United States Marine Corps honorably, I am a year out from finishing my bachelors degree and I have taken classes and have become a certified personal trainer; I will also be using my GI bill to enroll myself in the police academy to show departments the effort im willing to put in to become one of the elite. I have no criminal record, my driving record is good, my credit is good and my employment history is good . My question, will that stupid mistake keep me from becoming a police officer and will departments give me a chance to explain what happened seven years ago.

Thank you

Amazing that you weren't "jumped in" nor "jumped out", and that on your word alone, the "bullies" were so swiftly expelled.

In any case, sounds like you'll be a decent candidate. Just be sure you get a degree in something other than CJ so you'll have something to fall back on should you change your mind about LE.

Any reason why why you wouldn't apply and get agency sponsored rather than self sponsored?
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Thank you sir for the reply,I was jumped in, but I ran during it and they said I was too soft to join. Im glad i ran because I knew it was a mistake. I never actually made it in the gang and the next day I told them that i want nothing to do with them and had absolutely no contact with EVER again.The bullies were expelled because when I told , there were about 8 other kids who came out and told that they were being bullied by the same people;the school had enough evidence to immediately expel them. I'm choosing to self sponsor because I hear it makes the hiring process a little easier for an agency because it saves them money and I think it shows them that i am dedicated to the cause.

Comment

In some states you have no option to self-sponsor. You HAVE to be hired to attend a training academy.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Thank you sir SmallCitycop for your response, I really appreciate it. I'm in California and im allowed to self sponsor myself through the academy. Since i have the GI bill i will not pay any out of pocket costs.(at least that is what they tell me)

Comment

I tend to go with the age old adage: If you have to ask, you probably can't
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Thank You J2H for the response, I really appreciate all the responses from experienced law enforcement officers on this website. I asked because it had been bothering me while transitioning out of the Marine Corps since I know this is what I want to do. I had to so I could get opinions from experienced leo's like yourself,SmallCityCop and HI629.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazybone57 View Post
                Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I have a question about my suitability as a police officer or sheriff. When I was 13, I was being bullied almost everyday and the pain became intolerable. I was scared and did not tell anyone; I made the dumb decision to join a gang to scare my bullies off. Ironically a day after I joined I told my principle and those kids were kicked out of school and I did not have anymore bully problems. I also told this local gang that I want nothing to do with them. They called me names etc and I never had any contact with them again. I knew it was stupid and I came to my senses really quick. That was seven years ago and now i'm on the right path. I just finished my enlistment in the United States Marine Corps honorably, I am a year out from finishing my bachelors degree and I have taken classes and have become a certified personal trainer; I will also be using my GI bill to enroll myself in the police academy to show departments the effort im willing to put in to become one of the elite. I have no criminal record, my driving record is good, my credit is good and my employment history is good . My question, will that stupid mistake keep me from becoming a police officer and will departments give me a chance to explain what happened seven years ago.

Thank you
                Thank you for your service to our Country. It sounds like you were a confused and scared kid. From what you have written, I wouldn't DQ you. My advice is to apply and see what happens.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Why even bring it up...?

Comment

Thank you for all the responses I very grateful for the educated opinions you guys have. I would bring it to just be completely honest and have the BI call call me a bonehead for the situation then me not bring it up and fail on the poly if they ask me a question along the lines of have you ever been in or attempted to join a gang. Again I Thank all of you for your responses.

Comment

Stay in the Reserves. Keeps you employed, gives you a retirement just in case...
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thank You CCCSD for your response. I do plan on going in the reserves for the Navy. Since Im a year out from my Bachelors degree I want to commission in the navy as a reserve naval officer. Thank you for all the responses. Words cannot explain how appreciative i am for the advice.

Comment

If you want to be a police officer bad enough, you will be! That is if what you are saying is true. Even if you run into some agencies that exclude you for your concern, there are many, many more that would not.

Comment

Thank you Officer_Hood for your response. Everything I said was completely honest. Is it more difficult to get onto bigger departments than it is smaller departments? Thank you for all the responses

Comment

The Marines have a pretty good civilian police department, have you looked into that agency?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4839 users online. 203 members and 4636 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X