300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange question about degree.

Hey Everyone, I know this is going to sound like a silly question but I have gotten some different responses from friends in law enforcement. I spent 5yrs as an Army MP but once I got out, I decided to go to school to study nursing on a BSN track (also minoring in a foreign language). Nursing isnt really what I thought but will finish the degree program (Army is paying the tab anyway). Some have told me that the BSN degree will not matter and still look good when applying but others have told me that a department might DQ me because Nursing is so very different then the profession. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by mp4life82
    Hey Everyone, I know this is going to sound like a silly question but I have gotten some different responses from friends in law enforcement. I spent 5yrs as an Army MP but once I got out, I decided to go to school to study nursing on a BSN track (also minoring in a foreign language). Nursing isnt really what I thought but will finish the degree program (Army is paying the tab anyway). Some have told me that the BSN degree will not matter and still look good when applying but others have told me that a department might DQ me because Nursing is so very different then the profession. Any thoughts?

should make your first aid block easy...
    The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

The academy is designed to give you the fundamentals to be a cop, the degree won't matter. I always tell people to get a degree in something other than CJ anyway, in case they get burned out or hurt and need to enter another career field.

Besides, you could be future SWAT medic material if you decided to throw a NREMT-P on the pile.

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129
        The academy is designed to give you the fundamentals to be a cop, the degree won't matter. I always tell people to get a degree in something other than CJ anyway, in case they get burned out or hurt and need to enter another career field.

Besides, you could be future SWAT medic material if you decided to throw a NREMT-P on the pile.
        I always say that a CJ degree is a waste of time. Any other degree is a good one to have. And Ofc129 is right, get a little EMT certificate with that BSN and you will be "golden" for SWAT/SERT. Before you even get there, your nursing ed will assist you in writing reports describing injuries, describing symptoms of alcohol/drug imparment. Take care, and good luck to you!
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Unless possession or a degree is one of the minimum requirements for the job, whether you have one or not, or what it is in, is meaningless as far as the hiring process is concerned.

The hiring process for most law enforcement jobs is extremely structured. Your application is pass/fail. It's purpose is merely to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for the job. Your written and oral exams will be scored solely on your answers to police related questions. The purpose of your background and psych is to determine if you meet he criteria for disqualification (and having a degree in an unrelated field is not grounds for DQ). However once hired, a degree in a specific area may help you get a special assignment if there is some relationship between the two. For example, a degree in electronics may help you get an assignment to the technical services or intelligence units. A degree in biology might help with an assignment to a large PD's crime lab, etc. A degree in nursing might give you extra consideration if you applied to be the department's first aid instructor or to participate in disaster planning, etc.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3543 users online. 237 members and 3306 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X