Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S Marine Transitioning Back to Ohio

Helllo all!!

I am an active duty Marine transitioning back to Columbus, Ohio after 14 years of honorable service. I will be back in the area on December 11th and would like to correspond with Law Enforcement Officers from Ohio. I welcome any advice or suggestions that anyone would have for the hiring process in Ohio. Recently, I took the civil service exam for the Columbus Police Department and am anxiously awaiting the results. It consisted of the multiple choice exam, writing exam, and the BPAD. I feel that I did really well on it and hope to continue on in the process. Additionally, I have applied for a state troopers position and the Dublin Police Department, but haven't heard anything yet. If any member has any information that would be helpful to assist me or any job openings in the field of law enforcement within the state of Ohio, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Ideally, I would like to stay in the Central Ohio area. Thank you.

Marine Transitioning.

Not from Ohio, I'm retired Alabama DPS. Former Marine as well. Thanks for your service!! Good luck and Semper Fi.!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
      Not from Ohio, I'm retired Alabama DPS. Former Marine as well. Thanks for your service!! Good luck and Semper Fi.!!

Semper Fi and thank you for your service to our country in more ways than one!!! OohRah!!!

Comment

For the most part, the exam you took for Columbus PD is probably pretty similar to the ones you'll take anywhere else. From the few contacts I've had with Columbus PD officers, it seems like a very good department. Just FYI, you're in for quite a competition at Dublin. It's one of the highest-paying PD's in the state and you'll almost certainly be competing with certified officer with advanced degrees and some serious street experience.
        Last edited by Bing_Oh; 12-03-2006, 07:34 AM.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Adams2311

WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR YEARS OF SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. BING OH WAS RIGHT ABOUT COMPETITION BUT THE COLUMBUS AREA IS ONE OF THE FEW AREAS IN OHIO THAT IS GROWING. AS A FORMER POLICE CHIEF, I CAN TELL YOU THAT YOUR MILITARY EXPERIENCE WILL BE HELPFUL. THAT'S THE GOOD NEWS. THE BAD NEWS IS THAT MOST DEPARTMENTS EITHER REQUIRE OR GIVE EXTRA CREDIT FOR OPOTA CERTIFICATION. WHEN I HIRED AN OFFICER WHO HAD BOTH, IT GAVE THEM AN ADDITIONAL 30% OF THEIR TEST SCORE TOWARDS THEIR FINAL RANKING. I AM THE POLICE ACADEMY COMMANDER AT RHODES STATE COLLEGE IN LIMA, OHIO, AND AM FINDING THAT DURING THE PAST TWO YEARS APPROXIMATELY 15-25% OF MY CADETS HAVE MILITARY EXPERIENCE. YOU WOULD BE WISE TO ENROLL IN AN ACADEMY NEAR COLUMBUS. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE AN OFFICER ALREADY TO GET INTO AN ACADEMY AS MOST OF MY CADETS ARE OPEN ENROLLMENT STUDENTS. GI BILL SHOULD PAY FOR ALL OF IT AND IT VARIES IN LENGTH OF TIME TO COMPLETE IT. WE OFFER A SUMMER ACADEMY (8 HRS. A DAY) THAT TAKES ABOUT 3 MONTHS, AND A FALL ACADAEMY (4 HRS. A NITE) THAT TAKES ABOUT 7 MONTHS. A TOTAL OF 576 HOURS OF ACADEMY IS REQUIRED, PASSING THE PT AND WRITTEN TEST (GIVEN AT COLUMBUS POLICE ACADEMY) AFTER THAT. GET THAT UNDER YOUR BELT AND YOU WILL BE A MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE CANDIDATE. ALL YOU WILL BE LACKING THEN IS THE JOB EXPERIENCE. MOST LARGE DEPARTMENTS WILL STILL REQUIRE YOU TO ATTEND SOME OR ALL OF THEIR OWN ACADEMY. I USUALLY HAVE AN UPDATED LIST OF OHIO DEPARTMENTS THAT ARE HIRING. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT [email protected] AND I WILL BE GLAD TO SHARE THAT INFORMATION WITH YOU...

CHIEF BILL
          I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

Your E-6 rank will shine in the interview. just make sure that they constantly know that you were an E-6. semper fi
            Last edited by TransitCop911; 12-09-2006, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Columbus

I am in the process for Columbus too. I'm very excited because I live in Cleveland and hate it! Columbus is beautiful. I took dublin's test last year and let me tell you, it was not only really hard...but there was a ton of people there. I know a Dublin officer and it is like a dream department when you get paid $70,000 after 3 years of service. Why wouldn't it be when the city had a surplus of funds in excess of $10 million in 2005! Anyway, The problem with Dublin is that everyone wants it and everyone will take it. They have no physical agility exam until far down the process. This sucks b/c they only look at the top 30 candidates from the written, and I can tell you that a lot of the people there were old, obese, too skinny and small...etc. I missed top 30 by 6 points. I'm sure if they had a physical, i would have been top 30 as it would have eliminated those that cannot do the job.

Anyways, Columbus PD seems promising. They pay $61,000+ after 2 years there and the dept has good solid revenue. They have an academy starting in July [at their brand new state of the art personal academy] and one in December 2007. July is only around 15-30 people for hire b/c there are others waiting to go to academy from last years hiring.

So good luck and hopefully we can meet on Sawmill Rd. someday at a traffic stop for backup.

PS: As always, thank you for your military service...

Comment

I have been taking test all over the state of ohio and used to rely on only my military background as a sniper and designated marksman instructor along with some other tactical schooling. I recently went through New Albany's hiring process and out of 110 applicants I made it to the final three although I did not get hired. I opted for the open enrollment to get my OPOTA certification to show any department that i apply to that I am willing to do what it takes within the scope of the law to become a police officer. Dublin is a great place but like everyone said it is very competative. Gahanna is hiring right now and is a good paying department. i took the test there before and made it to the final three as well but was not hired since the other two applicants had their OPOTA. i am currently in the hiring process again for a college campus and when i interviewd with the chief he voiced concerns that I may get bored being there basically because of my military training. he said they are service oriented and no SRT team or SWAt team will ever be started there even though i did not mention it. i understand his concern about it but i feel as if my service to the country is causing some hesitation in places where i know i was one of the more qualified. Maybe i stink at the interview boards.

Comment

Welcome back sir!

Thanks for your service and if WE can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Blackandgold978 is from Ohio, but he is currently in Iraq. I'm sure he will hook you up upon his return.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I work for one of the departments listed in the original post. Feel free to PM me any specific questions you may have. Good luck in the testing process and do not give up no matter how long it seems to take.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3256 users online. 206 members and 3050 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X