300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances?

I received a discharge from the military due to an injury that sent me home during basic (i was a split op so i had to return for high school) well my medical file was lost somehow and 3 years later they either ignored it or still couldnt find my file and without the original report they wouldnt touch me even though i would have been medically cleared.

Anyway due to this issue the discharge i was told i received was General under honorable conditions (still havent received dd 214 to confirm tho). Also on the application is this still considered an honorable discharge?

I did a search and looks like my chances may be low but i thought i would get some other opinions on the subject.

Also on another subject would it help having experience working in an EMS field (EMT on ambulance)?

Thanks for your time, greatly appreciated.

You are being a little too vague with stating "what are my chances".

Are you applying for a job as a Police Officer? Corrections? What?

You need to get a copy of your DD-214, why you didn't get one before you got out, well I will blame that on you being young, but there are seveal ways to get a copy now!

Will it hurt your chances? Who knows, where and what are you applying for?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was speaking in general about applying but in the next couple of months the local police and sheriff depts will be hiring (cedar rapids and linn county) and i will be applying with them.

Also i have sent for a DD 214, reason i didnt receive one is because it went in front of a review board to determine if it would be honorable or general under honorable.

Comment

I don't get it...You said you were discharged due to an injury in basic so why wouldn't your discharge be a medical discharge? What branch?

Comment

Army National Guard.

Reason i didnt receive a medical discharge is because of the misplaced medical file. Without that they didnt know the medical history and wouldnt give me one but i would have been cleared anyway if they had it and i wouldnt been in this mess.

BTW this injury is no longer an issue.

Comment

Get your ducks in a row!

Work on getting a DD-214 (member-4 copy)
            Also, can you provide the names & location of anyone who was in the service when you were discharged and could verify your reason for being discharged? A former supervisor?

Good Luck...don't give up without a fight!!!!!!!!

WAL Backgound Investigator

Comment

I was a Marine Recruiter from 2001-2004 and I often had guys that were discharged from the National Guard wanting to enlist in the Marine Corps that did not have DD-214's as well. Nine times out of ten they were discharged for medical reasons. The unit simply just dropped them off their morning report and gave them an admin discharge. Basically, this type of discharge is as if you never exsisted in the military, so there wouldn't be a DD-214. I know..I know...this sounds impossible, but I know from experience that sometimes guys get discharged from these Reserve units without DD-214's. It becomes less of a paper drill to give the kid an admin discharge rather than do the whole work up for a medical discharge. My suggestion to you is to call that National Guard unit that you drilled with and talk to the 1stSgt or CO. One of those two should be able to get to the bottom of your situation rather quickly.

Comment

Usually if you are discharged during the first year in the army for medical conditions you get either a ELS or EPTS discharge which is a thanks for coming type discharge. I dont think it will cause you too many problems. When I first went into the army I had an injury I recieve right before basic and ended up with a EPTS (existing prior to service) However, I resigned up a year later and did 7 years. that first discharge didnt hurt me at all you should be fine. As long as that is what you were really discharged for.

Comment

mach158,

You are only issued a DD Form 214 if you served 90 days or more and get seperated from a period of active duty training, full time training or active duty for special work.

Ninety days is the key. Explain it to them, refernce the DoD DD-214 Policy, move on.

Comment

i was enlisted for 4 years, thats how long this issue went on for until i finally just got erased so to speak.

Basically it took this long because i keep going higher and higher in the chain of command. Highest i got was Capt and wrote a detailed report that was ignored and i received discharge (i still have paper and capt's phone number so i do have a reference to help me explain the situation if need be.

Also i sent the archives a request for my DD 214 so i will see what i receive or if they say one is non existant.

Also i need to report to the RSP unit i was assigned to, to turn in a set of BDU's i was issued prior to basic and see what he knows about this.

Thanks guys for all the advice and such, really appreciate it.

Comment

mach158,

"I received a discharge from the military due to an injury that sent me home during basic"

"i was enlisted for 4 years"

Yeah, you definitely lost me. Being "enlisted" and actually serving your enlistment are two different things, hence serving 90 days or more. Good luck none the less.
                      Last edited by MLPJLP; 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe i need to reword it, from the time i enlisted to the time they said i was discharged was 4 years. But if i understand correctly that doesnt matter since i didnt complete basic.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by MLPJLP
                        mach158,

"I received a discharge from the military due to an injury that sent me home during basic"

"i was enlisted for 4 years"

Yeah, you definitely lost me. Being "enlisted" and actually serving your enlistment are two different things, hence serving 90 days or more. Good luck none the less.

Comment

so you were in the natl. guard awaiting basic training? if that is the case there will not be a DD214 because you were not on active duty. However if you received a discharge in basic training you will receive a DD214, if I am understanding you correctly.
                          and I was mistaken it is 90days not 1 year like I stated before

Comment

Basically i was awaiting to return back to basic. I received the discharge prior to going back because of the missing file.

So then i wont recieve a DD214.

So if thats the case, how would i put this down on an application? Do i say i was in from oct 02- oct 06 but was discharged before completeing basic? I want to be honest but not sure how to go about how to put it.

Also if include this then how do i list the discharge and then as honorable or no?

I just dont want to put something and it come back as something different like i may be hiding something.

Comment

What may help is if you are still in contact with your old cammanding officer you can get a memo from him stating that it was not a discharge due to negative reasons. Also if you have a good record with them, have him mention that in the memo. I think that would really help. That will not leave it all up the to the imaginations of the BI.
                              hope this helps

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3107 users online. 193 members and 2914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X