300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I've been DQ'd

I was informed via a letter today that my conditional offer of employment has been removed at the request of the local Safety Director after four tries at the process after my oral board examination. Not a good feeling. While I know there are things about me and my past that could give a department pause in hiring me (age, lack of experience, what most in the process have considered to be a few fairly harmless incidents in my past, some apparently sketchy (and inaccurate) job histories, and some issues with depression that they never spoke to me about on any level), they've not stopped the department from taking me through the entire nine-month-long process (up to the oral board review, where I wasn't questioned in depth about these things, and where none of the more serious questionable areas were actually addressed), so I'm unsure why I've been dropped out of the application process. I suppose I'll have to wait till Monday or beyond to find out. Disappointing, but I'm 23, and I'm still determined to become a police officer if it's an option that remains open to me at all. I'm going to work on improving myself physically and mentally now, to prepare for another round of application processes next year.

Originally posted by The Guard
    I'm going to work on improving myself physically and mentally now, to prepare for another round of application processes next year.
    That is the attitude that is required - glad to see you got it.

Don't take it personal, sometimes people that we would have no problem hiring just get cut because we discover we have more people with experience and can fill all our positions with them. Experience is king with my agency, and somewhere down the line you will get lucky. Don't limit yourself to one agency - If law enforcement is something you really want to do, test with an agency that is not as popular or has lower pay. This weeds out the experienced people, and within a few years there you will have the experience and proven track record to put you on top of the list where you really want to be.
    Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
    sigpic

Comment

Something doesn't sound right here. I have never heard of a conditional offer being based on your passing the oral.

Conditional offers of employment are usually received only after you have passed the written and oral. Such offers are predicated on your passing the medical, psych and background. (You are offered employment as a police officer with the xxx police department subject to you successfully passing the background, medical, psychological exams). It's done this way because EEO laws prohibit an employer from inquiring about your medical status except in connection with a bonafide offer of employment. Unless you were speaking with their physician or his designee as part of the medical/psychological, it would have been inappropriate for anyone else to discuss your depression or any other medical issues with you.

Are you sure you had a conditional offer?
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by The Guard
        I was informed via a letter today that my conditional offer of employment has been removed at the request of the local Safety Director after four tries at the process after my oral board examination. Not a good feeling. While I know there are things about me and my past that could give a department pause in hiring me (age, lack of experience, what most in the process have considered to be a few fairly harmless incidents in my past, some apparently sketchy (and inaccurate) job histories, and some issues with depression that they never spoke to me about on any level), they've not stopped the department from taking me through the entire nine-month-long process (up to the oral board review, where I wasn't questioned in depth about these things, and where none of the more serious questionable areas were actually addressed), so I'm unsure why I've been dropped out of the application process. I suppose I'll have to wait till Monday or beyond to find out. Disappointing, but I'm 23, and I'm still determined to become a police officer if it's an option that remains open to me at all. I'm going to work on improving myself physically and mentally now, to prepare for another round of application processes next year.
        "Harmless incidents", if recent, could be grounds alone if they show poor decision making, alcohol/drug problems, assaultive behavior, lack of honesty, etc. "Sketchy and inaccurate job histories" would be a definite disqualification here. Failing to fully and accurately complete a job application is grounds for removal from the hiring list or even for termination after hire.
        My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

D'oh. Not "conditional offer". Certification. Apologies. I wrote this pretty late and in a bit of a hurry.

"Harmless incidents", if recent, could be grounds alone if they show poor decision making, alcohol/drug problems, assaultive behavior, lack of honesty, etc.
          None of the above apply here. Is six years ago considered recent? Six years ago, a female coworker accused me of stalking her, leading to some problems at work. Doesn't look good on a resume. I got it out in the open so they wouldn't find out later and say "So you were holding this back". Volunteered a bit too much, I suppose, but I was attempting to be honest about my past.

"Sketchy and inaccurate job histories" would be a definite disqualification here. Failing to fully and accurately complete a job application is grounds for removal from the hiring list or even for termination after hire.
          By sketchy and inaccurate job histories, I mean that the job histories the employers I was with provided the department were inaccurate and did not remotely mirror my time there.
          Last edited by The Guard; 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
            Something doesn't sound right here. I have never heard of a conditional offer being based on your passing the oral.

Conditional offers of employment are usually received only after you have passed the written and oral. Such offers are predicated on your passing the medical, psych and background. (You are offered employment as a police officer with the xxx police department subject to you successfully passing the background, medical, psychological exams). It's done this way because EEO laws prohibit an employer from inquiring about your medical status except in connection with a bonafide offer of employment. Unless you were speaking with their physician or his designee as part of the medical/psychological, it would have been inappropriate for anyone else to discuss your depression or any other medical issues with you.

Are you sure you had a conditional offer?
            I thought the same thing but after all of these discussions about out of state training requirments (if any), and private police, nothing suprises me anymore.
            "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3363 users online. 193 members and 3170 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X