300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Police Department

I am in my last year of college at UCF (getting a bachelors in CJ) and am interested in applying for the DPD. The 10k is ofcourse a great perk. But Texas sounds like a great place to live anyways (and cost of living a LOT cheaper than Florida). They also have a lot of units I'd like to give a try after doing my few years on patrol like k9 and mounted police.

Good stuff: I have a great GPA (current: 3.2, major:3.6), great credit, great work history...
    Bad stuff: I've done drugs in my past, over 3 years ago. Ecstacy and weed.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows DPDs disqualifiers on drugs. Some places say no drugs at all, others say weed is ok. But other than that I've had a very squeaky clean life.

You can give me all the face the consequences stuff if you want. I know what I did, and I'm trying to do what I can to show that I'm better than what I was. With my four year degree and solid work history I'm hoping they will overlook my transgressions. Thanks for any information ya'll can give me.

And any other information about their hiring process and the city would be great. I'm thinking about when I fly over to take their tests if I get that far to also schedule in tests in the surrounding suburbs. So if you know a few other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

You're going to hear alot of people here saying that the Ecstasy will be an auto DQ, then you're going to hear alot of them saying that you have no place in law enforcement since you've done drugs. I'm not an officer, so take this with a grain of salt: you've done stupid things in your life, as have alot of people. You will never know your chances with any department until you either call them or apply and go through the process. I know that SOME departments allow a one time only 'experimental' use of a narcotic. Before I get flamed for this, I heard this straight from a Sgts. mouth in a highly regarded acency. I also know that just because they 'allow' this one time use, it really only means they'll let you test, and doesn't mean you'll ever get job with them. I say good luck to you, and if you want it, keep after it.

Comment

Dallas Police Dept.

To find out what DPD's policy on prior drug use is, you need to contact them. Using the agency directory on Officer.com, you should be able to do that rather easily.

Comment

recruiting-dpd@dpd.dallascityhall.com
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Ellusionz
          I am in my last year of college at UCF (getting a bachelors in CJ) and am interested in applying for the DPD. The 10k is ofcourse a great perk. But Texas sounds like a great place to live anyways (and cost of living a LOT cheaper than Florida). They also have a lot of units I'd like to give a try after doing my few years on patrol like k9 and mounted police.

Good stuff: I have a great GPA (current: 3.2, major:3.6), great credit, great work history...
          Bad stuff: I've done drugs in my past, over 3 years ago. Ecstacy and weed.

I wanted to find out if anyone knows DPDs disqualifiers on drugs. Some places say no drugs at all, others say weed is ok. But other than that I've had a very squeaky clean life.

You can give me all the face the consequences stuff if you want. I know what I did, and I'm trying to do what I can to show that I'm better than what I was. With my four year degree and solid work history I'm hoping they will overlook my transgressions. Thanks for any information ya'll can give me.

And any other information about their hiring process and the city would be great. I'm thinking about when I fly over to take their tests if I get that far to also schedule in tests in the surrounding suburbs. So if you know a few other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

The ectasy is gonna hurt. I think they are going to tell you wait a few more years, if they don't DQ you for it in general.
          "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Originally posted by drewsy64
            I'm not an officer, so take this with a grain of salt:

And yet, you're answering questions in the ASK A COP section. What's that smell? Oh yeah, it must be a ban.
            BR

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Comment

my apologies for offending you. just giving my opinion. sorry for breaking the forum 'rules'

Comment

UCF......Nice. I got my M.S there.

Personally, I'd apply to just about every department you can. I got hired right out of UCF with F.L.P.D and I love it there. Only problem is that living expenses are getting to the point of "impossible". You can pretty much insert any department South of Martin County into the "rediculous cost of living" category.

The X may be tough to over come. I was coming out of college with a Master's, clean credit history, and ZERO usage of any illegal narcotics and I still had to apply to about 15 departments/agencies before I got a "yes".

Comment

Originally posted by drewsy64
                  my apologies for offending you. just giving my opinion. sorry for breaking the forum 'rules'

You didn't offend me. I find it hard to be offended by a moron who lacks the cognitive capacity to even READ THE GODDAMN STICKIES THAT EXPLAIN THE RULES. Annoyed? Yes. Offended? Nope. You have to work alot harder than that to offend me, numbnuts.
                  BR

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Comment

If I were you I would start at a small department. They have less people that apply so the rules are not as strict. Tell them up front what you have done and how long you been clean. Get your training, keep your nose clean and then try to move up. Good luck bro.

Comment

Well I've made a list of over 30 departments in Texas to try. I'm investigating which ones automatically DQ for ecstacy (I noticed some say on their websites atleast if a drug was used on the Texas drug substances act, I think thats the name, you'd never have a chance). Hopefully atleast half will be willing to look at my application. I'm going on the chance that maybe my past experience will outweigh the drugs, and if allowed through the testing process I get good enough scores that will make me look good also. I've only really looked in Texas because I'd like a warmer climate. Any other states south way that might be more liberal on past drug use I might have a chance with? I don't think I'm really interested in Cali cause of the earthquakes.. ofcourse we had one off the coast here in Florida the other day, totally weird.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5977 users online. 376 members and 5601 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X