300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offer????

Do most police departments give a conditional offer if someone is still in college? I have 6 months left and I already passed the test and oral exam, but I haven't received a conditional offer yet. They know that I have six months left. Do most wait until I am completely done, or maybe I just didn't make it any farther? I wish I could start on my background and psych while I’m still in college but maybe they just want to wait for me to get done. Any input would be great, Thanks!!!!

I am in the process so I can help you with the answer.

First, not all departments are the same, some do letters before everything begins, others, like mine only do it before the medical exam, after I have completed everything else. Look at my steps for what I had to go through and I still don't have the conditional letter of appointment.

Ask your recruiter and familiarize yourself with the agency's test phases and what comes when. For my agency it did not matter if you were in college or not, if you had the right "stuff." They only wrote the letters to people they were 100% sure they were going to put them through the academy.
    Now hold my hand and hold it tight,
    I will not fail you here tonight,
    For failing you, I fail myself,
    And place my soul upon a shelf,
    In Hell's Library without light,
    I will not fail you here tonight.

Comment

Just go about your normal business until you hear from them. Sometimes it takes up to a year to get hired at some places, so you could theoretically finish your degree while in the process.
      -Stay safe

Comment

I know for sure that the conditional offer is the next phase. I also know that I ranked very high in my class, but I got bypassed by one person so far. I ranked third and they have selcted three people out of my class. So that is why I am kind of wondering what is going on. Are they just going to give me one after college(6 months) or during. Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

FidelisAdMortem,
          What's a "medical poly" in your signature? Is that different from a standard poly?

(sorry to get off topic).

Comment

Originally posted by heyeveryone
            Do most police departments give a conditional offer if someone is still in college?
            Most departments hire according to your position on the hiring list, which is usually based on your final test scores. Unless possession of a college degree is one of the minimum qualifications for the position, the fact that you haven't finished college should have no bearing on the matter.

As far as being bypassed is concerned, civil service rules governing many agencies usually allow them to choose anyone from the top three positions on the hiring list. This means they can chose anyone who is in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd ranks to fill the first position. Assuming they take #1, they can now choose anyone from positions 2, 3 or 4 to fill the next. Assuming they take #4 for the second position, then they must choose from 2, 3, or 5 to fill the third position, etc.

If you are 3rd on the list, they should be getting to you shortly.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by hgct
              FidelisAdMortem,
              What's a "medical poly" in your signature? Is that different from a standard poly?

(sorry to get off topic).
              Yes it is. It has to do with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

Comment

I didn't know that. Thank you. Good luck with it. You're almost done!!

Comment

Originally posted by hgct
                  I didn't know that. Thank you. Good luck with it. You're almost done!!
                  Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately, almost still doesn't guarantee me a spot in the Academy...waiting for the phone call either way now. They only have x number of spots open for this class.

Comment

they could be waiting to see when their next academy is starting to send out letters/make the phone calls. I know I scored in the 90's for Ohio State Patrol, but they won't even start processing for their next academy for probably a good 2 months.
                    -Stay safe

Comment

I know that they have already chosen three people out of my class, but I know that I ranked third. So I was wondering why I got passed by, if it was college or maybe other reasons. Thanks for the replys so far. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by heyeveryone
                        I know that they have already chosen three people out of my class, but I know that I ranked third. So I was wondering why I got passed by, if it was college or maybe other reasons. Thanks for the replys so far. Thanks
                        Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you number 3 on the hiring list or were you number three in an academy you sent yourself through? If you meant the academy, then that should have nothing to do with the hiring process. Where are you on the hiring list?
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No sorry, I was number three in the hiring list. I was told that by other officers. But I have six months left of college and I still havent been contacted yet by the department. But I know that they have already hired three from my class. So I was just confused why I havent got a offer yet. The next step after the offer is a B.I. then pschy. So I dont know if they want me to finish college until I start that or maybe they have a policy that they can't give conditional offers to someone in college still? I guess thats what I am asking if someone knows. Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5445 users online. 390 members and 5055 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X