300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hearing loss in one ear

i see a lot of departments that says hearing loss of 25db is disqualifying, my left ear is deaf but no one ever notices and can carry on a conversation without any problems. would this be a problem? what if i get hearing aids? can i get a waiver?

Most departments perform hearing tests as part of the hiring process. If you are deaf in one ear it would flag on the test. I know several cops who wear hearing aids (probably due to being around & shooting guns so much). It's a valid question, but I think as long as it's correctable you should be good to go. Just ask the recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by galileo
      i see a lot of departments that says hearing loss of 25db is disqualifying, my left ear is deaf but no one ever notices and can carry on a conversation without any problems. would this be a problem? what if i get hearing aids? can i get a waiver?

Those are the post standards here in AZ. Meaning every agency has to stick to them. Yes, you can get a hearing aid. The agency can also ask for a waiver with or without the aid. If you can pass the test with the aid then there is no waiver required. If the aid only gets you to say 35db loss then the waiver comes into play.

Comment

thanks, i dont feel like i need hearing aids because i am used to it and no one ever suspected that i am deaf in one ear, but if they make me, i will just go get them.

Comment

What did you say ???
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Actually, this type of question would be asked on the ADA polygraph at some agencies (including mine). Even before they go ahead and spend the money on a doc.
            Now hold my hand and hold it tight,
            I will not fail you here tonight,
            For failing you, I fail myself,
            And place my soul upon a shelf,
            In Hell's Library without light,
            I will not fail you here tonight.

Comment

No More Information
              Last edited by monk44; 02-12-2008, 08:00 PM.

Comment

They whisper at you. From 15 ft. I don't know how to explain that one any further.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I tested at 30db on a high frequency rating where the threshold is at 25db. In California that would flag an additonal test where a recording of a person speaking sentances with background noise. I passed the test but I know if you are deaf in one ear you would fail the test and be DQed.

Comment

I see you are from California. While standards will vary from agency to agency, here are some of the guidelines POST has about hearing abilities for California Peace Officers.

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Hearing.pdf
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No More Information
                      Last edited by monk44; 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Read L-1's link about the guidelines. Calfornia POST is very strict as regards for hearing. The in depth test you take if you fail the regular test is more comprehensive but more fair. It tests both ears and sounds from front, back, right and left with background noise. The voices are complete sentances and I think you can actually miss about 50 percent of the test and still pass. You have to be better than the worse 5 percent of the population. But if you are totally deaf in one ear, Im afraid it will show up in this test.

Comment

No More Information
                          Last edited by monk44; 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

No More Information
                            Last edited by monk44; 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3879 users online. 272 members and 3607 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X