Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Packet Q

Hi all,

I am in the process of completing a background packet. The question I'm in need of a tasteful answer for is the following:

"Would any problem result if your present employer was contacted during the course of the background investigation?"

The best answer is yes and no. However, I know I can't check both. The problem lies with I don't mind my employer being contacted after a decision of hire has been made. But if my employer is contacted beforehand there's a very good chance my company will think I'm leaving at a moments notice and choose to let me go beforehand.

Anyone with a one sentence answer to this question, please reply!

Thank you very much!

Check "yes" and put "will explain." Usually, you'll get a chance to talk to someone (either during an interview or the officer doing the background check) before they start calling current or past employers. Then, when the chance arises, explain the situation you have with your current employer and ask that they be contacted as late into the process as possible.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by CPDjock
      Hi all,

I am in the process of completing a background packet. The question I'm in need of a tasteful answer for is the following:

"Would any problem result if your present employer was contacted during the course of the background investigation?"

The best answer is yes and no. However, I know I can't check both. The problem lies with I don't mind my employer being contacted after a decision of hire has been made. But if my employer is contacted beforehand there's a very good chance my company will think I'm leaving at a moments notice and choose to let me go beforehand.

Anyone with a one sentence answer to this question, please reply!

Thank you very much!

Just say yes. They will ask you why when you meet with your BI.

Comment

On the other hand, perhaps a meeting with your boss, telling them about your desire to maybe become a cop, it's a long drawn out process, many apply but only a few get the job, I'm thinking about applying, and they'll want to talk to you, just because I apply doesn't mean automatically that I'm outta' here, I would give plenty of notice - as much as they would give me...etc, etc.

You get the idea, perhaps talking about it, first, may lessen the impact on your present workplace.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Thanks guys for replying!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

I had the same concern. I checked "will explain" as suggested. My pre-Background investigator suggested I note that "I do not want my present employer until I'm am given a conditional job offer."

This essentially puts you in the clear until you get to your Background Investigation. Don't worry, it'll work out.

Comment

Good idea! The only problem with that is that I was given a conditional offer prior to being given my background packet. The conditional offer clears me to take a medical exam.

How does "Yes, when given an employment offer." or "At the conclusion of my background investigation." sound?

Any and all input welcome.

Comment

When I first started applying, I worked for an employer who had a history of immediately firing people if it came to light they were looking for another job.

I checked yes, explained it to my BI and asked that my employer be contacted last. I had no problems at all.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Any other input?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4911 users online. 294 members and 4617 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X