300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Into LE

I have a question that has probably been asked before. Which way to go to get into LE. College of Military or possibly both. I have asked some local agencies and they had no one for me to talk to to get answers, even the state police, the guy I talked to was not very receptive couln't even give me the number to the place I needed. looking for general input I know every area is diff I am currently in VA and am ready to start college or whatever else it takes. If I would do military how does Marine MP or Security Sound?

Thanks,
    VArga
    Baltimore Police Dept

Written/PAT- 10/21/12-Pass
    Written Psych- 10/22/12- Pass
    BI Interview/Polygraph/Psyc - 12/5/12
    Physical -TBD

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46465
    After its all done and I've cleaned up, Chief comes out of his office, big smile on his face pats me on the shoulder and says........That wasn't so bad was it? - Redders4786

Comment

While I would agree both college and military are benefits and attractive on a resume, I wouldn't say either or both are mandatory. I was previously in the Military, College, even University and frankly there are many other areas out there that are equally good for this profession.

Other areas to consider are human resources, political science, business management, computers and so on.

Do what you feel is best to make yourself as marketable as you can. The military was great to me but it isn't for everyone, don't do something you aren't 100% with just to see a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. At the end of the day, it could very well end up being a career you like, or one you hate and if you picked the military and only kept the policing door open, you'll end up like a lot of my colleagues that want to do something else but can't. If you join up in the military and find out you hate it, you'll regret it and it can be a loooooong journey which won't promise anything in the policing world.

In either case, be educated on the facts with the military. Recruiters will sell the story to you anyway they can to get you to sign. Not that I am putting it down but that's the meat an' potatoes imho. I wouldn't be where I am today without what I learned in the army but it does come at a cost.

Comment

Originally posted by VargaM
        I have a question that has probably been asked before. Which way to go to get into LE. College of Military or possibly both. I have asked some local agencies and they had no one for me to talk to to get answers, even the state police, the guy I talked to was not very receptive couln't even give me the number to the place I needed. looking for general input I know every area is diff I am currently in VA and am ready to start college or whatever else it takes. If I would do military how does Marine MP or Security Sound?

Thanks,
        VArga
        Where are you in Va? Most departmets in Va are so desparate for people that as long as you have a GED and clean urine, you will most likely get hired and you can get your degree partially paid for by your department

Comment

I agree. I have loved the military. The Army has been good to me but don't do it unless thats what you really want. But you should also think about the guard or reserves too. You could go to school at the same time full time. You could knock out both at the same. I did 4 years active and got an associattes while doing it. It has helped me alot. I think even if its only for 3 years its a good thing for maturity if your committed. Jus make sure your ready to give it your all.
          "If everyone had the right priorities in life there would always be a shortage of fishing poles."
          Mark Twain upon being questioned on the meaning of life

God bless all those that went thru hell in the dark corners of the world and died in secret to defend our freedom- DE OPPRESSO LIBER 1st SF GROUP

Comment

I am in Troy( in between Charlottesville and Richmond). I have one problem, I am only 18. That is why Im here either way I go I will be around 21 when I would finish. I come from a Military Family so I know what service to our country is about. I have most of the facts on the military and just need to know what to do. Both are very possible. Thanks for the replies
            Varga
            Baltimore Police Dept

Written/PAT- 10/21/12-Pass
            Written Psych- 10/22/12- Pass
            BI Interview/Polygraph/Psyc - 12/5/12
            Physical -TBD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2911 users online. 218 members and 2693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X