Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benefits of a previous background investigation

Hello all-

I'm currently doing an honors internship with the FBI this summer and I'll be graduating with a bachelor's degree next May. I have a top secret security clearance and I'm wondering if that will benefit me with other agencies besides the FBI later down the road when applying or not? Would another federal agency conduct their own investigation as well or just review and update the one I already had? Thank you!

**NOT SWORN***
    out of curiosity, what kind of things do you do in this internship? I have wondered what kind of duties the interns do for the FBI

Comment

I've been working with the analysts in the FIG and SAs with the JTTF. I'm not just working with SAs though because I've also interacted alot with the support staff and I've been able to see that important side of the Bureau too. I actually haven't touched a copier or the mail yet! It's been great thus far.

Comment

Usually each agency does their own background investigation. However investigators usually make a point of looking at prior backgrounds to see if your current history questionnaire differs from old ones you previously filled out, and to see if the other agencies dug up some dirt on you that the current agency hasn't found yet.

It's not a big deal.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Background, Security Clearance, Military Clearance, FBI clearance,

All of the above are completed by the FBI for Federal Employment, usually thorugh the military. I know i'm one of the security managers in my sq. Anyhow when you leave the FBI, the clearance will not be closed, lets call it dorment for layterms. If you reapply for a govt job in the future, this clearance can be reopend by filing the appropiate paperwork and for about a third of the price it originally cost the original agency.
          " The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few"

Comment

The above info is not 100% accurate. DOD agencies and FED LE agencies do in fact conduct different investigations. The FBI does not do security clearance investigations for others, OPM (Office of Personnel Management) USUALLY (but not always) conducts the investigations.

Bottom line...

DON'T LIE! If you are 100% truthful you will be just fine.

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses! My other question is--will it benefit me in any way to already have passed a background investigation, or does it not matter to the other agencies when hiring?

Comment

Originally posted by marshall115
                Thanks for all of the responses! My other question is--will it benefit me in any way to already have passed a background investigation, or does it not matter to the other agencies when hiring?
                It won't matter because your new agency still has to consider whether the other backgrounds may have missed something, or that you may have engaged in some disqualifying activity since the last background was done.

The best that may come of it is that your current BI will go into the investigation with a more positive attitude, and assume he probably won't find anything derogatory because you came out OK on the other backgrounds. (However, that doesn't mean he won't still be looking for the bad stuff.)
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I also possess a TS SCI clearance, and I informed the agency I am applying with about that and they don't care. I was told that yes they would verify it, but their background investigation is totally different than the one I received for my TS SCI. I gotta be honest, my TS one was **** poor. Not that I hid anything, just some of the other people in my squadron that received TS's were total scumbags, convicted felons, and trash. They are looking for different things and so far seem to be going much more in depth than the fed's care too. Which is probably why we have some crappy TSA workers out there.

I'm not kidding about the convicted felons...I have no clue how they got into the military, but they have since reverted back to their old ways and are either serving time or have been dishonorably discharged!
                  "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9035 users online. 427 members and 8608 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X