300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ Question

when i was 18 i use to work at albertsons and one night my sister-in-law's best friend came into the store and asked me to help him steal a bottle of hennesy because they were on the way to a bonefire.. long story made short, basically an undercover loss prevention officer busted us. I was charged with petty thieft.

now i am a 21 year old responsible individual. I've held many management/supervisial positions and currently I am a security guard.

does my petty theift misdomeanor disqualify me in becoming a cop?
    San Francisco Police Department
    Written Test = passed
    Oral Board = passed
    Physical Agility = passed
    Background Packet = turned in July 13th
    Call from BI = December 26, 2007

*fingers crossed*

A misdemeanor alone will not DQ an applicant from agencies here in California. You need to check on your department whom you are applying for req./restrictions.

Comment

Good call. some places will hire you, some will not. it is usually plainly posted in the application requirements section of the job announcement. My Dept. would still hire you, since it has been 3 years, given that is the only run in you have had

Comment

From what I have heard 3 years is the minimum which you will be considered at. Could be more or less but that is the standard I've heard of.

I would say go for it. Plenty cops out there have similar issues from their past. If you are unsuccessful, perhaps you need a bit more time to prove you are responsible.

Good luck

Comment

I went to see my girlfriend where she was babysitting one night. I was drunk, saw a big JAR of change on top of the refridgerator, I took it. About $45 bucks worth of jingle. Larceny under $200 was what I ended up with. Originally it was rung up as Felony Larceny in the building. But that was to be reduced because nobody is getting hit with a felony over change, unless you pistol whip somebody in the process.

I was just 18 when that happened. I was hired 3.5 years later, after showing them what kind of decent, fine young man I had become.

It will hurt you someplaces, others not so much. California is pretty liberal with stuff, that might be a life-long DQ in Texas though. Thank goodness you're not in Texas.
          "I'm the man who invented the wheel, and built the Eiffle Tower out of metal and brawn, that's what kind of man I am. You? You're just a women with a small brain." -Ron Burgundy

Comment

I think it may pose more of a problem for you than the others have suggested. Even as a clerk, box boy or janitor, you are expected to look out for your employer's best interests. This includes keeping people from stealing inventory. What you did violated the very position of trust that you held. This reflects very poorly on you, especially when you are applying for another position of public trust.

I suspect that for the moment, this may DQ you. However, if you keep your nose clean for another couple of years it might be ignored. In any case, it won't hurt to try.

Rather than jump through all the testing hoops just to get DQed on the background at the end, call a BI with the agency you are interested in and lay out the problem. They will tell you if its grounds for DQ with their agency. If it is, move on to another agency or wait a couple of years. OTOH, if it is not grounds for DQ, then go ahead and apply.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
              I think it may pose more of a problem for you than the others have suggested. Even as a clerk, box boy or janitor, you are expected to look out for your employer's best interests. This includes keeping people from stealing inventory. What you did violated the very position of trust that you held. This reflects very poorly on you, especially when you are applying for another position of public trust.

I suspect that for the moment, this may DQ you. However, if you keep your nose clean for another couple of years it might be ignored. In any case, it won't hurt to try.

Rather than jump through all the testing hoops just to get DQed on the background at the end, call a BI with the agency you are interested in and lay out the problem. They will tell you if its grounds for DQ with their agency. If it is, move on to another agency or wait a couple of years. OTOH, if it is not grounds for DQ, then go ahead and apply.
              I agree with this. I think it's too early but who knows....?
              "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8982 users online. 396 members and 8586 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X