Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighted Steps in the Hiring Process

Howdy all,

I'm going to take the Civil Service Examination for the Houston Police Department later this month and had a question regarding the different steps of the hiring process. From what I've read online from forums such as this one and police officer job postings the creed is "Top score on the written exam is hired first."

Being that this process takes several steps including interviews, background investigations and the like, is it true that no weight is given to these particular areas when regarding who to hire first or second? For example, say someone scores a 95 on the civil service exam and does moderately well in his interviews and has past traffic tickets/a misdemeanor from a few years ago. Is it true that this person will be given a job before a person who makes a 90 on the civil service exam, has a perfectly clean record and aces his interview?

Also, having applied for a federal position too I was told by an interviewer there that (after having disclosed to him that I've never tried drugs nor drank nor smoked in addition to having a perfectly clean record) finding someone who hasn't smoked marijuana or drank before is an absolute rarity. Is this true for police departments as well?

We don't use a weighted system. What is looked at is the overall qualifications and person. For example, who do we feel would best serve our agency and community. If you score low in one area, but better in another and make it to the later stages, they may weigh out each applicants past (college, military, etc.)

Comment

The process will vary from agency to agency. In one department, the written may count for 60% of your score while the oral may count for 40%. Another agency may weigh the written at 40% and the oral at 60% while yet another agency may make the written pass/fail and the oral 100%.

Physical agility, medical and the background tend to be pass/fail

How Houston does it is not a state secret. If the exam announcement doesn't tell you how the test is weighted, call and ask.

In many civil service agencies, the employer can fill a vacancy from any of the top three scores on the list.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by McPhenius
        We don't use a weighted system. What is looked at is the overall qualifications and person. For example, who do we feel would best serve our agency and community. If you score low in one area, but better in another and make it to the later stages, they may weigh out each applicants past (college, military, etc.)
        You've made me curious here. In order to have a fair chance at getting the job, applicants need to know what the standards are by which they are judged. That's why most civil service job announcements state what they they will be tested and graded on, so they can prepare temselves to compete.

Do you tell all applicants what subjective things they will be scored on and how they will be scored,so they know which best foot to put forward? In other words, do you say preference will be given to applicants with certain life experience, language skills, etc.?
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17055 users online. 488 members and 16567 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X