Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on AZ POST application for certification...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on AZ POST application for certification...

Good Morning!

I have a question regarding one of the very last questions of the AZ POST Application for Certification. I like to consider myself of better than average intelligence but I'm one that requires clarifications on some things, especially when a question is asked of me. Understanding that we know what others want obviously helps us answer the question clearer. The question I am concerning myself with is this:

Do you have any knowledge or information, in addition to that specifically required in this questionnaire, which is or may be relevant, directly or indirectly, to an investigation of your eligibility or fitness for the position you are seeking? This includes, but is not limited to: character traits, temperance habits, employment, education, subversive activities, family, associations or traffic violations? If YES provide a full explanation on the Continuation Sheet.

Character traits, in my definition would be considered, "I am an assertive person" or "I am very direct and logical". Correct?

Temperance habits, my ability to resist temptation of the "evils" in this world?

Employment. Since I've covered all my employment from age 15 to age 31, what else could there be that they wish to know? This goes the same for the education part.

Family. What would my family have to do with this question? Perhaps one of my family has (and I'm being quite rhetorical here) a mental illness that is perhaps a generative thing?

How about "associations or traffic violations"?

I take it this is the "last ditch effort" question which would shed more light on my personal history? I appreciate your concise answers, guidance, and effort on this topic. You may also PM me if you wish or on AIM at thadeathofdesire if you are so equipped. Thank you

Mike
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..."

August evenings
    Bring solemn warnings
    To remember to kiss the ones you love goodnight
    You never know what temporal days may bring
    Laugh, love, live free and sing
    When life is in dischord
    Praise ye the lord

Simply put, they are asking you if there is anything in your background, not specifically asked in the questionnaire, that could lead to your disqualification.

With respect to family associations, they want to see if you you are indirectly associating with crooks by virtue of their relationship with other members of your family. For example, my family usually has Christmas dinner at my cousin's house. Many years back she had a serious relationship with a man who was a convicted murderer, served his time and was released. As a result, every Christmas we had dinner with her and "Killer." It is something like this that they are looking for.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I don't recall any associations my family has had with anyone of that nature, ever. I could just imagine that scenario, "So, is killer coming for Christmas?" I guess then, my suspicions are true about the question. I'm seeing it now as to if there is anything that may be "questionable" to my eligibility before I start to let them dig.

Probably the only thing that I can think of is a guy in Jersey that I know that had gotten himself into transport/selling of narcotics. This happened after I moved here to Arizona. Would you think something like this would be applicable?

How about the rest of the items like character traits, temperance, employment, and education? What examples of those could lead to disqualification? I guess I feel that when you don't know what you're looking for, how are you going to find it?

Thanks! Anymore insights?

Mike
      "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure..."

August evenings
      Bring solemn warnings
      When life is in dischord
      Praise ye the lord

Comment

Originally posted by OurDeepestFear
        Probably the only thing that I can think of is a guy in Jersey that I know that had gotten himself into transport/selling of narcotics. This happened after I moved here to Arizona. Would you think something like this would be applicable?

How about the rest of the items like character traits, temperance, employment, and education? What examples of those could lead to disqualification? I guess I feel that when you don't know what you're looking for, how are you going to find it?
        If your friend didn't start dealing until after you ended your association with him then I don't see this as relevant.

With respect to the rest:

Character traits - they are looking for anything bad that will disqualify you - temper problems, lying, theft, etc.

Temperance - do you have a problem with alcohol?

Employment - have you ever been disciplined on the job, or fired, or have you left any job when you learned you were going to be fired or disciplined?
        Have you ever stolen from your employer?

Education - How did you conduct yourself in school? Were you a good kid or was there a special chair with your name on it outside the dean's office?

Here's the deal with the background. It's pass/fail. In order to fail, they must find something in your past that meets the criteria for rejection. That's what they are looking for here. To give you an idea of the criteria, here is what the state of California uses:

18935. The board may refuse to examine or, after examination, may
        refuse to declare as eligible or may withhold or withdraw from
        certification, prior to appointment, anyone who comes under any of
        the following categories:
        (a) Lacks any of the requirements established by the board for the
        examination or position for which he or she applies.
        (b) At the time of examination has permanent status in a position
        of equal or higher class than the examination or position for which
        he or she applies.
        (c) Is physically or mentally so disabled as to be rendered unfit
        to perform the duties of the position to which he or she seeks
        appointment.
        (d) Is addicted to the use of intoxicating beverages to excess.
        (e) Is addicted to the use of controlled substances.
        (f) Has been convicted of a felony, or convicted of a misdemeanor
        involving moral turpitude.
        (g) Has been guilty of infamous or notoriously disgraceful
        conduct.
        (h) Has been dismissed from any position for any cause which would
        be a cause for dismissal from the state service.
        (i) Has resigned from any position not in good standing or in
        order to avoid dismissal.
        (j) Has intentionally attempted to practice any deception or fraud
        in his or her application, in his or her examination, or in securing
        his or her eligibility.
        (k) Has waived appointment three times after certification from
        the same employment list.
        (l) Has failed to reply within a reasonable time, as specified by
        the board, to communications concerning his or her availability for
        employment.
        (m) Has made himself or herself unavailable for employment by
        requesting that his or her name be withheld from certification.
        (n) Is, in accordance with board rule, found to be unsuited or not
        qualified for employment.
        (o) Has engaged in unlawful reprisal or retaliation in violation
        of Article 3 (commencing with Section 8547) of Chapter 6.5 of
        Division 1, as determined by the board or the court.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1,

That is JUST what I was seeking. Thank you! I've gone down the AZ POST website and I couldn't find any of that. Either that, or I didn't look for enough.

As far as any of those listed, everything has been disclosed on my application. The last job I had I was fired from because they somehow found out I applied with the Arizona DPS. I also called and talked to HR at the old job and she said there isn't anything in my folder discipline-wise or dismissal reason/information.

So the rest of that is up to them. Thanks again for that concise answer.

Mike

August evenings
          Bring solemn warnings
          When life is in dischord
          Praise ye the lord

Comment

Did they find out from someone that you may have told? Did you use a computer at work to apply? I'd be curious to see how they even found out when its your business and not there's.

Comment

Originally posted by dfp837
              Did they find out from someone that you may have told? Did you use a computer at work to apply? I'd be curious to see how they even found out when its your business and not there's.

dfp837,

I'm not sure of the point to your question. I was looking for clarification on what they meant by those particular sections of the question. When you apply to be a peace officer you give up all your rights in order for them to conduct an investigation of your personal history, be it your business or not. They will talk to everyone they possibly can to retrieve intelligence regarding YOU. I've heard stories of them going all the way back to a first grade teacher. I'm not sure if that is completely true but they will not leave any stone unturned.

If you as a human being cannot be forthright with anything asked of you, don't bother. You will be wasting your time and worst of all - theirs. That's a surefire way of being DQ'd. Are there things in my past that I haven't relinquished? At least nothing that I can't remember. You ask me a question - you get an honest answer.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

~*M*~

August evenings
              Bring solemn warnings
              When life is in dischord
              Praise ye the lord

Comment

L-1,

This is what AZ POST has...

R13-4-105. Minimum Qualifications for Appointment

A. Before appointment or attending an academy, a person shall meet the following minimum qualifications:

1. Be a United States citizen;

2. Be at least 21 years of age, except that a person may attend an academy if the person will be 21 before graduating;

3. Be a high school graduate or have successfully completed a General Education Development (G.E.D.) examination;

4. Undergo a complete background investigation that meets the standards of R13-4-106 except that a person may begin an academy before the results of the fingerprint check are returned. However, the person shall not graduate from the academy and the agency shall not receive reimbursement for the person's training expenses until a qualifying fingerprint check return is obtained;

5. Undergo a medical examination that meets the standards of R13-4-107 within one year before appointment. An agency may make a conditional offer of appointment before the medical examination. If the medical examination is conducted more than 180 days before appointment, the person shall submit a written statement indicating that the person's medical condition has not changed since the examination;

6. Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona;

7. Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces;

8. Not have been previously denied certified status, have certified status revoked, or have current certified status suspended;

9. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for sale;

10. Not have illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years;

11. Not have ever illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation;

12. Not have ever illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

13. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale any dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana;

14. Not have illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years;

15. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than for experimentation;

16. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

17. Not have a pattern of abuse of prescription medication;

18. Undergo a polygraph examination that meets the requirements of R13-4-106, unless prohibited by law;

19. Not have been convicted of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with a frequency within the past three years that indicates a disrespect for traffic laws or a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway;

20. Read the code of ethics in subsection (E) and affirm by signature the person's understanding and agreement to abide by the code.

B. The illegal use of marijuana, or a dangerous drug or narcotic is presumed to be not for experimentation if:

1. The use of marijuana exceeds a total of 20 times or exceeds five times since the age of 21 years; or

2. The use of any dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, in any combination exceeds a total of five times, or exceeds one time since the age of 21 years.

C. An agency head who wishes to appoint a person whose illegal use of marijuana or a dangerous drug or narcotic is presumed to be not for experimentation under this Section shall petition the Board for a determination that, given the unique circumstances of the person's use, the use was for experimentation. The petition shall:

1. Specify the type of illegal drugs used, the number of uses, the age at the time of each use, and the method by which the information came to the agency's attention, and any attempt made to verify the accuracy of the information; and

2. State the factors the agency head wishes the Board to consider in making its determination. Those factors may include:

a. The duration of usage,

b. The motivation for use,

c. The time elapsed since the last use,

d. How the drug was obtained,

e. How the drug was ingested,

f. Why the applicant stopped using the drug, and

g. Any other factor the agency head believes is relevant to the Board's determination.

D. With respect to a limited correctional peace officer, previous completion of a background investigation conducted under R13-4-203 and a physical examination conducted under R13-4-202(A)(6), satisfies the requirements of this Section when there has been no interruption of employment by the agency, except that:

1. The limited correctional peace officer shall submit to a polygraph examination as required by subsection (A)(18); and

2. The agency shall query the National Crime Information Center/Interstate Identification Index (NCIC/III), and the Arizona Criminal Information Center/Arizona Computerized Criminal History (ACIC/ACCH) and review the returns to determine that the person meets the requirements of this Section.

E. Code of Ethics. Because the people of the state of Arizona confer upon all peace officers the authority and responsibility to safeguard lives and property within constitutional parameters, a peace officer shall commit to the following Code of Ethics and shall affirm the peace officer's commitment by signing the Code.

"I will exercise self-restraint and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and loyal to the state of Arizona and my agency and its objectives and regulations. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept secure unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never take selfish advantage of my position and will not allow my personal feelings, animosities, or friendships to influence my actions or decisions. I will exercise the authority of my office to the best of my ability, with courtesy and vigilance, and without favor, malice, ill will, or compromise. I am a servant of the people and I recognize my position as a symbol of public faith. I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the law and serve the people of Arizona."

F. This Section is effective six months after filing with the Secretary of State as required by A.R.S. § 41-1823(A).
                Historical Note

Adopted effective March 23, 1989 (Supp. 89-1). Amended effective August 6, 1991 (Supp. 91-3). Amended effective January 13, 1993; filed July 13, 1992 (Supp. 92-3). References to "Council" changed to "Board" (Supp. 94-3). Amended effective October 20, 1995; filed with the Secretary of State April 20, 1995 (Supp. 95-2). Amended by final rulemaking at 8 A.A.R. 3201, effective January 11, 2003 (Supp. 02-3).

August evenings
                Bring solemn warnings
                When life is in dischord
                Praise ye the lord

Comment

AZ POST Application.

You're beating yourself to death over this. I don't know you, but I'm going to stick my neck out, and tell you to answer NO. Let that be it, unless of course, you do have relatives who advocate the overthrow of the government, and who propose a whole lot of other not so cool things. Again, the answer to the question is No. Quit agonizing over the question. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    You're beating yourself to death over this. I don't know you, but I'm going to stick my neck out, and tell you to answer NO. Let that be it, unless of course, you do have relatives who advocate the overthrow of the government, and who propose a whole lot of other not so cool things. Again, the answer to the question is No. Quit agonizing over the question. Good luck.
                    Oh I wasn't agonizing over it! I just wanted to know clearly what it meant. L-1 posted CA POST so I just wanted to show him AZ POST. All is well, I just put that my older brother had a prescription narcotics problem. This was a dead issue...before my last post. Thank you though!

Mike
                    Last edited by OurDeepestFear; 06-03-2006, 10:08 PM.

August evenings
                    Bring solemn warnings
                    When life is in dischord
                    Praise ye the lord

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8944 users online. 294 members and 8650 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X