300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical

Can anyone tell me what is involved with this portion of the process. This is my final step, passed everything else, does this portion of the process have a high DQ rate.

I'm not in LE yet, but given that I pass the psych and medical, I'm starting the academy in July (San Diego Sheriff). My medical is in a couple weeks. From what they've said as well as information from another recruit, it's pretty extensive. These are some of the components I remember them telling me:

- Blood test
    - Vision exam, including a test to make sure you're not color blind.
    - Auditory exam, insuring you can hear well out of both ears.
    - Stress test on a treadmill - they will increase the incline and measure your heart rate, blood pressure, etc. If something is abnormal under the physical stress or you can't finish, you run the risk of being DQd. They said this is where many people fail. If you're not in shape, you can pass the other tests, NOT this one.
    - Grip strength test, obviously measuring the pressure you can apply with your hands.
    "Just how big were those two beers?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"Quotas? We used to have quotas but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

"I could've eaten Alphabits and crapped out a better report. FTO to trainee

Comment

Originally posted by magilla1
      Can anyone tell me what is involved with this portion of the process. This is my final step, passed everything else, does this portion of the process have a high DQ rate.
      I see you are in California. Check out:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/medical.asp

It will give you a general idea of what medical issues are of concern in the screening process. You will also note that there are no hard and fast rules for DQ in the manual. Instead, it leaves it up to the discretion of the hiring agency.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Mine was pretty straight-forward. Pee in a cup. Blood tests. Resting HR and BP. Hooked up to a heart thing-a-magjig (EKG?). Vision test. Hearing test.

At this point, you only get DQ'd if there is something wrong with you. That being said, people have found out they have terminal diseases from police pre-employment medical tests.

Comment

The worst part is the prostate exam

Comment

Originally posted by magilla1

My medical consisted of another drug test (urine not hair this time), blood test, vision and hearing test, back x-rays, lifting some boxes, and the normal physical procedures. I didn't have a prostate exam, probably casue I'm only 21 I am NOT looking forward to that day

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
              I see you are in California. Check out:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/medical.asp

It will give you a general idea of what medical issues are of concern in the screening process. You will also note that there are no hard and fast rules for DQ in the manual. Instead, it leaves it up to the discretion of the hiring agency.
              That's a great source. Nice find.
              "Just how big were those two beers?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"Quotas? We used to have quotas but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

"I could've eaten Alphabits and crapped out a better report. FTO to trainee

Comment

Though im not in LE (yet) I am in the Medical phase with my department.

About 6 years ago I passed out while running the track in a P.E. class. I was taken to the emergency room, and they immediatly tested for drugs (which is protocol when this type of thing happpens for a 15 year old) That came up negative. After 5 years of different test's (MRI's, various stress test's, Halter monitor, cardiac biopsy's and many other tests) Everything tested normal. I have a letter from my cardiologist (who founded the cardiology ward at good sam. in LA; and was the chairperson for the american heart association for the west coast) and a letter from my general practitioner stating I am completly capable to perform the duties of a deputy sheriff.
                Even with the letters the county is requesting EVERY document of my medical records. And this has been going on for about a month and a half.

Sorry to ramble, but the moral of the story is, no matter how bad something in your medical history may seem. They will thoroughly look into it, before just tossing away your file.

Comment

A digital rectal exam (DRE, aka prostate exam) isn't a routinely justified check for anyone in their 20s, even 30s. Prostate checks are usually initiated by the 40s.

With that, I did not have one. Friends policing for the same department, of similar age and having gone through the same medical did experience the DRE.

Things they would test:

- blood work
                  - TB Test
                  - urine (drug test)
                  - stress test
                  - EKG
                  - vision
                  - hearing
                  - lung capacity
                  - color blindness

And an exam by a physician to include the usuals:

- blood pressure check
                  - stethoscope checks (heart and lungs)
                  - "turn head and cough"

Certainly not a hard part of the hiring process. Not much studying you can do for it in order to prepare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5312 users online. 318 members and 4994 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X