300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color blind

I am just curious if you can get hired as a police officer if you are color blind?

Thank you

Originally posted by candog
    I am just curious if you can get hired as a police officer if you are color blind?

Thank you

I was tested for color blindness and depth perception as well as all the other eye tests. I would assume they check it because it's a requirement.

Comment

Hope

This is big news! You should see the video below:

Hello Captain Bob,

I just wanted to drop this web site by, it is in regards to color vision. I was recently disqualified from So. Calif department academy for failing my medical Exam. I failed because I was unable to pass the color vision tests they gave me. I appealed the disqualification and did many hours of research on color deficiency and in my research I came across like the colormax lens. Contact lens called Chromagen lens that are FDA approved. I contacted an ophthalmologist that is proved on there web site and was able to get a prescription to correct my color vision. I was able to pass 100% both color vision tests the ishihara and Farnsworth. I was able to retest with the city and passed the color vision part of the medical exam. The total cost for the Doctors visit and prescription was appox. $600.00. If this can help any one else with color deficiency I would highly recommend it.

Web Site: http://www.chromagen-international....dex2_ingles.htm

Jeremy
      "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

Good link CaptainBob, that will definately come in handy for him.

Unfortunately, I think most departments would DQ you for color blindness. However, if you can get it corrected like in CaptainBob's post, you'd be good to go
        Don't Mistake My Kindness as a Sign of Weakness.
        National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund
        @------{------------------------

Comment

I don't think it's an issue unless you have to prove that you caught an offender.......Red Handed

....it may cause problems then

Seriously though, your dept should make a "Reasonable Adjustment" for candidates/staff that have a 'disability' to kind of level the playing field all round.

....I have a feeling that statement may open a can of big fat worms
          " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

Im color blind. You might have to take a speacial test (Farnswoth D15 test) at you own expense. It cost me $45 for it. The much larger dept will dq you no questions asked. The test that is given to you during an eye exam is a Ishihara plate test. If you have even the slightest blindness you will fail due to the fact that the Ishihara test is made up of artifical colors, which the eyes cannot see at all. I do not think this test is fair because it only saids you are color blind. The D15 test will let you know for sure how bad the blindness is. If you are only slightly CB you will have no problems being in law enforcement. If you do need to get the test done. Then go to a Dr that deals with low sight vision. Do not go to an eye glass Dr!!!!!!!!! If you dont pass then do what Captainbob did.
            Last edited by irishnut; 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Ok i get that but what real negative impact would being colour blind have on your job as an LEO ?? can't think of anything can you?

Seems like they should not even ask....i mean would being Dyslexic automatically bar a candidate from the job??? It doesn't over here and it probably doesn't there (unless you know different )
              " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

Check with individulal department

Call the HR office and ask them

Comment

Originally posted by brit girlie
                  Ok i get that but what real negative impact would being colour blind have on your job as an LEO ?? can't think of anything can you?

Seems like they should not even ask....i mean would being Dyslexic automatically bar a candidate from the job??? It doesn't over here and it probably doesn't there (unless you know different )

There is a big difference between the two. Depending on the severity the blindness I'd say it would have a huge impact.

A couple off the top of my head would be vehicle, suspect descriptions which if the LEO couldn't tell the colors would be hard to apprehend. Not to mention what a defence attorney would do on a case if they were to know this.

Traffic lights can also be a problem, even if the sequence of them is known, some people can't see them at all.

Comment

Delimma

"Colorblind" people--"color deficient" is considered a more accurate term because most of them can see some colors. The genetic defect that causes the visual problem makes it more common in men. Some colorblindness affects about one in 12 men and one in 200 women.

One of our candidates was concerned about the color deficient test. Though he had some color deficiency, to his surprise he could identify those colors (they used a multi colored stuffed animal) that the department was testing for.

This from a candidate:

I am color deficient as well. I have what's called a red green deutan. I got the contact lens (only one needed) and when going through the ishihara test (which is the one most use)I pass with the lens. Only problem is that most places don't allow you to test with any correction, both color or regular. Also there is an issue with wearing contacts in a HAZMAT situation-

It's a tough spot because you can't just go to an expert in the field and get an checkup because every department has different standards in this topic. You have to actually go through a medical to see how much of an issue it really is going to be. Hopefully this will all change soon.

Here are some segments from previous postings not verified:

Ok, According to the EEOC and ADA if you can't pass the color test given, but the doctor asks you to identify basic colors IE Red, Green, and Blue etc. You have to show that even though you cant pass the test you will still be able to perform the basic job duties, by being able to tell these basic colors. You just need to articulate to them they you can perform the basic job duties of identifying the colors of cars and clothing descriptions. POST has also said that if an applicant fails the test, but can id the basics he/she is fine. or if it came down to it, but don’t recommend you can get the x chrome contact lenses which is a couple of hundred dollars, even though its not allowed and just wear it with out them finding out "cheating." The lenses don’t enable you to see colors, but changes them so you can identify them.
                    "Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com/lawenforcement.htm

Comment

Candog,

I believe I can be of assistance for this question. I have been a police officer for a while with a red-green color deficiency. I have worked at a large sheriff's office as well as a smaller city police department (where I am at currently, approx. 50 officers). I have never had a problem with this deficiency on the job. I have been able to locate vehicles and persons with no issues and call out the description vehicles on traffic stops, which is our policy.

As for the testing, my current department did a basic color test, as in they pointed to a color and asked me what it was, no big deal. For me, there is no way I could pass the hi****ara color vision test. When I was testing for departments, I would call and ask the recruiting officer and tell them my situation with my color vision. The majority of the recruiters stated they would just give me the basic color vision test if necessary. I cannot say this is the rule for all departments. You may face problems in bigger city department where the testing is more set in stone.

Either way just call around and feel out the department. I would definitely ask ahead of time, no sense in wasting your time in the testing process if they fail you on the vision, good luck.

Comment

Color blind

Vision difficiencies can be corrected, why not color blindness? The technology seems to be there. Go for it!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4791 users online. 297 members and 4494 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X