300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Alongs??

Hello, I was just wondering how many ride alongs are necessary for agencies to consider "a good number" in terms of getting hired? For example what is a general "average" of the number of ride alongs? the duration? for how long? Just curious any input or personal stories would be apreciated!

**Not an LEO**

I have done two with the local department and both have lasted 8-10 hours. They stopped for now as they hired new officers, and they are going through FTO and its a small department so their resources are limited. I have been on several DUI stops. One a guy was held up in a house who had a warrant. The officers waited outside to get it confirmed and they went it and got him. Went to a silent alarm at an industrial park, at around midnight. A few bar fights, plenty of traffic stops. This is the department I want to work with, as its very devoloping town and they are trying a lot of new things. This coming fall into spring I am doing an internship with them. Should be alot of fun, I know the area, know all of the officers. Not sure if I will be able to be hired because of past indiscretions, but I am still going to do the internship as its part of my degree program. The only thing I caution about ride-alongs is that alot of people want to do them to many times in a row. The dept knows you are interested, but it slows them down and they have to be more cautious. Some officers like riding solo, and having someone there all the time takes them away from their routines.

Comment

Originally posted by Blink182
      Hello, I was just wondering how many ride alongs are necessary for agencies to consider "a good number" in terms of getting hired? For example what is a general "average" of the number of ride alongs? the duration? for how long? Just curious any input or personal stories would be apreciated!
      Unless it's a Requirement for part of the Hiring Process, this is no # of ride-a-longs you need. I have known several people that had never even rode in a squad car until they got to the Drivers Training in the Academy.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I am going on my second ride-along tonight...my buddy just got a new Nissan Sentra v6.

His previous car was a Camaro LT1 with turbo

Comment

Originally posted by broke
          I am going on my second ride-along tonight...my buddy just got a new Nissan Sentra v6.

??????? ????????

Comment

i've gone in 2 ride a longs...but neither with the department that hired me

Comment

I do ride alongs all the time with a certain agency....I have over 200hrs ride time since the end of Dec.

I get out on all calls and and participate to a good degree...Lat week at a underage drinking party I found 3 kids hiding in the bushes on my own.They let me write out the tickets,run radar including laser and I get to make the calls whether to pull sombody over..if we get a good call they ask me what i'm gonna look for when we get there and after the call they ask how I would have handled the situation..it's been a pretty good experience to say the least!!

Comment

^^Now thats what people want to do when they go on a ride-along. Is this one officer or do they all do it? Sounds like a good thing you got going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Turner05
                  ^^Now thats what people want to do when they go on a ride-along. Is this one officer or do they all do it? Sounds like a good thing you got going on.

It's awesome..well except this last part..we were sitting at the station and a lady came in and asked us to do a welfare check on her mom because she didn't answer the door.. We got up to the old ladies residence and we walked around back to look through the windows and she was dead..in fact i saw the sunday newspaper was on the side of the stpes and it was friday..it stunk really freakin bad...gee who had to help carry the body out because she was a big ole lady and the morticians had a hard time with her....they were laughing cause I told them I wasn't getting paid to do that lol

They call me the jinx..the last 4 times riding there has been an arson,dead body,30+ underage drinking party, and a few other things that happened.

Every officer works with me like an FTO and I love it!

They've shown me the shotgun release button in case they get into serious trouble..I wear a vest but if you ride..whether you get out or not you should wear one!

Comment

Ride alongs are a good way to get your foot in the door if it is a agency that you really want to work for. I think that the ride alongs that I did with the agency I am in the process for, although not a requirement, was really useful for my oral review board.
                    Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by broke

What does that have to do with the original post?
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by lcpdwannabe
                        It's awesome..well except this last part..we were sitting at the station and a lady came in and asked us to do a welfare check on her mom because she didn't answer the door.. We got up to the old ladies residence and we walked around back to look through the windows and she was dead..in fact i saw the sunday newspaper was on the side of the stpes and it was friday..it stunk really freakin bad...gee who had to help carry the body out because she was a big ole lady and the morticians had a hard time with her....they were laughing cause I told them I wasn't getting paid to do that lol

They call me the jinx..the last 4 times riding there has been an arson,dead body,30+ underage drinking party, and a few other things that happened.

Every officer works with me like an FTO and I love it!

They've shown me the shotgun release button in case they get into serious trouble..I wear a vest but if you ride..whether you get out or not you should wear one!
                        After dealing with death and destuction do you still like LE? I know a fellow classmate in my CJ classes did a ride-along with the teacher. They were called to raid a drug house with females. The student being female and no other female officers available she was asked to frisl two females. She did, and she said the stink alone made her decide LE was not what she thought it was. I think ride-alongs are an excellent way for people to get a very good idea of whats going on out there. If your Dept offers a Citiziens Police Academy take that up. Great tool to show your intrest, and to learn about that Depts policys, policing styles. Alot of Depts now though are getting away from ride-alongs. Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                          What does that have to do with the original post?
                          The original post asked for personal experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by STLPenn34
                            The original post asked for personal experiences.
                            Sorry irishlad, I didn't review your post completely.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3522 users online. 174 members and 3348 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X