300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Polygraph

Besides NYPD and MPD, are there any police departments that don't give polygraphs. I have passed and failed a few, and I hate the anxiety i go through each and every time. Every time i failed, they were never for the same question. Thanks for your help.

Newark Delaware
    Ocean Pines Maryland
    Do you mean nationally or locally?

As a general rule: smaller departments are less likely to utilize polygraphs however, my department of 13 required one.
    What What?

Comment

Who's MPD?

Comment

Originally posted by LSExplorer22
        Besides NYPD and MPD, are there any police departments that don't give polygraphs. I have passed and failed a few, and I hate the anxiety i go through each and every time. Every time i failed, they were never for the same question. Thanks for your help.
        If you are failing each time, then I am sorry to say this but it has something to do with your intergrity and you should look for another career field! To look for a specific agency that does not poly, well then I am sorry to say this, you don't deserve to look for a job in LE, because it looks like you are hiding something. Whether that is true or not, I do not know, however, it does seem that is has something to do with your background!
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Our sheriff's office doesn't do poly or psych tests. There are other ways of evaluating people.

Most of us either grew up here or have family here. I moved back 3.5 years ago. My family has lived in this county for 60+ years. The chief deputy knew my granddad from 50 years ago probably, and sometimes accidentally calls me by my dad's name.

A lot of us went to BLET at the community college here too. The instructors are all well known in the LE community and their word carries a lot of weight.

I like to think that one deputy at least put in a good word for me if anybody asked him. He was the school resource officer before he retired. One time I made a comment about getting mad if I ever got pepper-sprayed. He said I've never seen you get mad. That compliment brought me up short, and I said well, I just don't have a lot to be mad about. I'm pretty thankful for what I have.
          Smile Our GOD is a consuming fire! Heb 12:29

No one is entirely above the law, or entirely beneath its protection.

Rule 1: At the end of every shift, I'm going home to my kitty cats.

Comment

Originally posted by slopegrrrl
            Newark Delaware
            Ocean Pines Maryland
            Do you mean nationally or locally?

As a general rule: smaller departments are less likely to utilize polygraphs however, my department of 13 required one.

Huh....I lived in Salisbury for a while and went to the beach a lot but never knew Ocean Pines had a PD.
            "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

???

When you said MPD did you mean MPDC? Metroploitan Police in DC? They do not give a POLY from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by mattph4716
                Huh....I lived in Salisbury for a while and went to the beach a lot but never knew Ocean Pines had a PD.
                Yeah very small department though. Mainly watching over the retarted I mean retired folks living there.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Michigan Law prevents anyone from taking a polygraph for pre-employment purposes. As a current DS and seeing them done to criminals I think they are a great tool for the extremely guilty. You can mind f#$% to admission.

Personally their inadmissible in court for a reason. Why make someone incriminate themself for a job. A good background investigator should be able to determine whether or not someone is hireable based on their BI, CCH, credit score and personal references.

Comment

lol polys aren't that bad but i can say they are not accurate. i just took my first friday man i fell asleep. but MPdc does not have one.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                      If you are failing each time, then I am sorry to say this but it has something to do with your intergrity and you should look for another career field!
                      Actually, you are WRONG! I took 4 poly's (all different departments) when I was going through the hiring processes. I past two and failed two. The first one I passed. The second one I had the same examiner and almost identical questions and FAILED! Turns out, I'm a thief. I didn
                      Last edited by RabbitMPD; 01-30-2006, 10:42 PM. Reason: I guess I'm a bad speller too.
                      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

[QUOTE=RabbitMPD]Actually, you are WRONG! I took 4 poly's (all different departments) when I was going through the hiring processes. I past two and failed two. The first one I passed. The second one I had the same examiner and almost identical questions and FAILED! Turns out, I'm a thief. I didn

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                          Rabbit you are correct, I was never called a rapist, liar, etc after taking a poly because the ones I have taken to get where I am at now in LE, I passed. No questions or remarks afterwards. So I am sorry to hear that you were called a rapist, if that did happen? But then you need to sit there and think, why would they have called you one to begin with?

I am not going to get into a ****ing match as to why departments poly or utilize the CVSA, however, if you feel they are turning down good applicants, well you are allowed to, however a poly is just another tool to be utilized during a background.

Departments who do utilize the poly and CVSA do outweigh those who do not. I am 110% with using either of them to weed-out bad applicants.
                          I would just consider myself lucky getting hired, and leave it at that. That seems to be a key element in this game. I realize your position (a bit high and mighty as usual, but mostly correct on the balance, except for your fanatical and misguided polygraph fetish!), about not wanting to give away trade secrets and so forth, but unfortunately factual science (not junk science) does not back up your opinion.

As stated above, a thorough BI, credit, records check, etc. yields FACTUAL background information, and a realistic profile of the applicant. The poly/CVSA are good BI tools for getting not too bright applicants scared enough to make an admission. It is 50/50 at best (US v. Scheffer) which basically means departments are DQ'ng and letting in 50 percent of the wrong people. Hopefully functional MRI (fMRI) will be the magic bullet you're pinning your hopes on to maintain law enforcement hiring standards, it is hoped to be proved in trials as 90% accurate. Significantly better, unless your one of the 10% (oh wait, you could still be that 10% lying and the machine doesn't catch it). The box was never intended for "verifying" a lifetime of experiences. When it is somewhat useful is for theft investigations by employers, and perhaps used as a divining rod by investigators in a major crime. Anything else is laughable...

Also, obviously none of this, poly in particular, is a crystal ball (Rampart, etc. etc. etc.) Bad officers are an abomination, and a rare anomaly. Competent supervisory oversight is the only reliable method of deterring departmental nightmares. I don't think I'm helping the BGs by stating it is total BS, they already know this. It's good at scaring stupid people into admission and/or confession. A smart interrogator will yield volumes more ADMISSABLE evidence than hooking someone up to the box. What does that say about using it to hire someone?

I am all about maintaining standards, and screening folks thoroughly, but to believe in the polygraph is to believe in the man who created it: He also created Wonder Woman. Just because it's in policies & procedures, and there's a precedent, and most departments use it, does not mean it is effective, or will be around forever. Technology will finally replace the box with something a little more accurate. Which brings up about a 1000 other legal and ethical problems by the way. Should you stop doing real, actual investigative work, and rely on technology exclusively? I think: Negative Ghostwriter...

PS You're not allowed to complain about recruiting being down, and the unavailabilty of qualified personnel either. But hey, at least "standards" are being maintained, right? Riiiiggghhht...

PPS I took mine and passed (I guess, whatever), and used all of my willpower to keep from smirking or laughing out loud during the process. The Kleenex on the table (for when I "broke down under questioning) was a particularly nice touch!
                          In Vino Veritas

Comment

MPDC does poly, according to their website.

Comment

MPD does not, I assure you. They say a lot on their recruiting site that isn't quite accurate.

Other departments that don't:

Baltimore City
                              Philadelphia
                              Chicago

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11922 users online. 501 members and 11421 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X