300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral board introduction

For oral board introductions, besides the obvious (name, age, etc.), what types of info should be included, and about how long should they last?
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

The board members (Two Sgts and one Det) pretty much dictated how my board went. They asked the questions and set the pace for the whole experience.

Is your hiring dept requesting you present yourself to the board formally?
    RIP Officer Josh Williams
    Old Fort, NC PD # 919... 10-42... 02/01/2007

Our loss is heaven's gain

Comment

The members of the panel on both Oral Board meetings I had dictated the pace and the line of questioning.
      Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

I had the same experience as the previous two posters. The board members ran the show. I had 5 questions that lasted about 20 minutes I would say.

Prep yourself and you should be fine. I bought a book that prepped me for every question they asked. Stay calm! I had every answer perfect in my head but I was so nervous they came out kind of jittery. I passed but will be better on my next one.

Comment

question

Hi,

I was wondering what was the name of the book that helped you prepare for the oral interviews????????

Thanks
          DCAMP

Comment

I PMed you the book title

Comment

Well to answer your question (I assume your asking what to include if asked to tell them about yourself, I apologize if I read wrong). Tell them your name, age, where your from and give just a brief synopsis on yourself. Where your originally from, live now, married/single, occupation, etc. Once they hear enough they'll most likely interject and move on with questions (that's what happened to me on my first 2). What county are you interviewing in?
              "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

Thanks all. I'm not sure if they want me to present fomally, but I am going to treat it as such. I just wanted to get an idea of what they might want, I don't want it to sound rehearsed. This is going to be my first interview, and I got to think about the question "Why do you want to be a police officer", you have to think about it for a second, because it not like you can just go in and say that you have always dream of it since I have been a little guy.
                Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Comment

Originally posted by STLPenn34
                  Thanks all. I'm not sure if they want me to present fomally, but I am going to treat it as such. I just wanted to get an idea of what they might want, I don't want it to sound rehearsed. This is going to be my first interview, and I got to think about the question "Why do you want to be a police officer", you have to think about it for a second, because it not like you can just go in and say that you have always dream of it since I have been a little guy.

My reply to that question was:

"To be a part of something that I can be proud of.. to be a part of the brotherhood that is police work.. and lastly.. to say I do something other then slave away in a plant and to know I love my job everyday and have a sense of fullfillment"

Maybe I am neive but at this moment in time, this is truely what I believe.
                  RIP Officer Josh Williams
                  Old Fort, NC PD # 919... 10-42... 02/01/2007

Our loss is heaven's gain

Comment

I have been on several of my departments hiring boards in the last year. This may not answer your question directly, but hopefully it will give you some help. The board has to sit through interview after interview all day long sometimes for several days in a row. Anyone can ask around and get good answers to scenario questions or recite a list of classes they've taken to prepare themselves. The oral interview is about getting to know YOU in the short 15-20 minutes that you are there. You want to be able to show that you can communicate, that you have thought seriously about a career in LE and that the department should spend thousands of dollars on you to give you a chance. Be honest and sincere with your answers. Everyone is nervous in an interview...do your best to overcome that as much as you can. If possible relate your answers back to police work. For example.... if your asked to describe your education or experiences go the extra step and tell how you think that has helped prepare you for police work or what lessons youv'e learned from poor decisions youve made.

Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6193 users online. 353 members and 5840 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X