Eduaction level?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eduaction level?

I am currently attending a university, but am planning on only getting my associates in criminal justice before going for a job, then finishing my bachelors after this. I am planning on going to south florida, palm beach county more precise, for a job. Do you think that just getting an associates and not getting my bachelors now is a good/bad decision? and would it hinder my chances of getting hired? or should I be fine with going in with an associates alone, and getting my B.S. later?
    Thank you.

Originally posted by ethan_wincheste
    I am currently attending a university, but am planning on only getting my associates in criminal justice before going for a job, then finishing my bachelors after this. I am planning on going to south florida, palm beach county more precise, for a job. Do you think that just getting an associates and not getting my bachelors now is a good/bad decision? and would it hinder my chances of getting hired? or should I be fine with going in with an associates alone, and getting my B.S. later?
    Thank you.
    Piece of advice, the longer you wait to finish, the harder it is to finish. Keep in mind that many depts across the country are moving to require at least 60 hrs or an associate's just for employment. My dept requires a bachelor's degree to apply for any rank above sergeant. I would encourage you to get your b.s. now. The only advantage to waiting (sometimes) is that some depts (like mine) will pay for your education once you've been on a certain amount of time. That is a big bonus. I will be starting on my graduate's fall 06 (free of charge)
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Yep, get it now. I'm about 12 credits shy of my BA. (I actually have about 160 credit hours, but need a few more classes in the major to actually get the degree) As I'm now a Sergeant, I really need the BA if I want another promotion, and it's going to be a PITA to do it.
      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

I would suggest finishing your Bachelor

Comment

Will having the Associates make you less employable than if you had the Bachelor's? Probably not. Will it hinder you from ever moving much beyond patrol in today's LE agencies? Most likely.

I know you're chomping at the bit to get out there and fight crime, but you've only got a couple more years beyond your Assoc. degree to get your Bachelor's. Heck, go to summer school and take a full class load for a semesters and you could be done in a year and a half.

It will NEVER be any easier to get your BA than now. 2 years compared to a 25 or 30 year career is nothing.

Here's another advantage. Some agencies have educational incentives. Our local PD offers a 9% pay increase for an Associates, 18% for a Bachelor's and 27% for a Master's. Since we're in a university town, there are a lot of beat cops around here with Master's degrees. I believe our county sheriff's office has a similar incentive program.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the imput. Also though, the reason I am asking is that the dept.s I am going to apply to have tuition reimbursement programs, and according to some people I talk to, a lot of the officers take advantage of it. I understand that it would probably be easier for me to get my B.S. now, but is it "do-able" once you are hired, with things such as the tuition reimbursment?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10501 users online. 413 members and 10088 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
            X