300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview questions

Im the senior patrol officer for my dept,I also set on the interview board.We haveing interviews on thursday.Each memner is allowed to ask 3 questions.what would be some good questions to ask.There will be 4 certfied officers and the rest are non cretfied.
    thanks

1.hmm you are riding in a one man car, you respond to the scene of a shooting there is a victim on the floor with a gun shot wound and you see the perp running (with gun in hand )what do u do ? help the victim or chase the guy with the gun?
    We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

I can't give you specific questions but I will suggest some things to consider in formulating your questions. I don't know how your hiring system works down there (civil service, patronage, or service at the pleasure of the chief) but to avoid charges of discrimination, EEO violations or other unfairness in the hiring process:

1. You need to be able to show that each question has a legitimate relationship to the job they will perform if hired. For example, if a person is testing to be a cop, it's inappropriate to ask them how to skin a deer you've just shot.

2. Acceptable answers to a question must be based on your department's rules, policies or procedures, or on accepted police practices, or on the law itself. They should not be judged based on the personal opinion or quirks of the individual who made up the question or the one who asked it. To this end, you all need to agree ahead of time as to what is an acceptable answer to each question and how you will score answers if an applicant fails to address every area you have agreed on. For example, if you ask an applicant to define theft, you will be looking for four elements: Taking - without consent - property of another - with the intent to permanently deprive. But if the applicant's answer leaves out one or two of those elements, how will you score his answer? You all need to agree on this ahead of time to make sure everyone is treated equally.

3. You need to ask the same questions of all applicants. Don't deviate. Otherwise you will be open to charges of favoritism and discrimination.

4. Do not ask questions about the applicant's health, medical condition or sick leave usage. You lack the expertise, training and authority to pass judgment over an applicant's medical suitability to perform the duties of the job so you will run into a big EEO problem if you venture into this area. Leave this to the department physician if the applicant makes it past the oral.

5. Each interviewer needs to keep notes on how they scored each applicant on each question. Once the testing process is over, the department needs to keep the notes someplace for at least a year. Should an applicant file a discrimination claim, having these notes will help establish that each applicant was graded fairly.

Finally, if you want to see the pitfalls of not playing by the rules, take a look at:

http://www.spb.ca.gov/chief/documents/CHPAudit.pdf

It demonstrates what can go wrong if you fail to use a standardized and fair testing process.

Good luck!
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808
        1.hmm you are riding in a one man car, you respond to the scene of a shooting there is a victim on the floor with a gun shot wound and you see the perp running (with gun in hand )what do u do ? help the victim or chase the guy with the gun?
        As a follow up to nasa808's suggestion, don't ask questions like this unless the acceptable response is clearly defined in your department's rules, practices or training, or by an established local law enforcement policy. Otherwise, how to you fairly score each person's response if there is no "correct" answer to the question in the first place?

nasa808 - I'm not taking a pot shot at you. It's just that I did this for nine years and I want others to profit from the mistakes I saw a few folks make. <G>
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

its alright ......just wanted to drop a question that was given to me on one of my interviews
          We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by wpsycho
            Im the senior patrol officer for my dept,I also set on the interview board.We haveing interviews on thursday.Each memner is allowed to ask 3 questions.what would be some good questions to ask.There will be 4 certfied officers and the rest are non cretfied.
            thanks

I refuse to believe that a "senior patrol officer" could spell or use grammar this poorly. You are just some random kid trying to find out what your upcoming board is going to ask.

I wouldn't worry about it as you will fail the written test anyways.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4178 users online. 209 members and 3969 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X