300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psych exam

I posted my past in a previous email. To sum it up I was diagnosed with a panic disorder and discharged from the navy about 10 years ago. I am now applying to the police force as a reserve. I have made it through the oral board, polygraph, and background. I am now in psych and have done the written portion of the psych. I am wondering how much on an issue the panic attacks will be. My most recent military physical overturned the panic disorder saying it never existed. The panic disorder was brought up in the oral board, and I passed that. If they had thought it would have been an issue would they have passed me up or would they have waited till I hit psych to fail me out of the process? If I pass psych then I move on to the last part the physical and then be hired.

Originally posted by shuttle
    If they had thought it would have been an issue would they have passed me up or would they have waited till I hit psych to fail me out of the process?
    They are probably waiting for the shrink to not pass you to cover them for liability. That way if they turn you down at the interview process for a mental disorder, you could appeal since no one on the board is a psychitrist.

If you are prone to panic attacks, you have no business patrolling our streets. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. If I'm gut shot and bleeding out in the middle of the street, I don't want the only officer for miles around to freeze up when it comes time for him to drag me out of harm's way.

Perhaps you could work in the same field, but a different area, such as records clerk or dispatch.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
      If you are prone to panic attacks, you have no business patrolling our streets.
      No, I agree with you 100% that if I had panic attacks then I have no business on the street. The problem is that I have never had a panic attack in my life. It was a misdiagnosis, but once on paper it will always cause people to question.
      Last edited by shuttle; 12-06-2005, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The oral panel lacks the medical expertise necessary to determine whether you are unfit. Any attempt by them to do so would be an EEO violation.

The final decision will come with the psych results.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8219 users online. 440 members and 7779 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X