Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVMPD Las Vegas Hiring Process

LVMPD TESTING PROCESS UPDATED 05/03/08

Anyone interested in employment with the LVMPD, or if this information was useful for your application experience, please PM me for more!

Note: This info is specific to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, but the process is similar for any large agency, and many small ones. Police agencies often use the same tests, etc. For their employment screening process.

http://www.protectthecity.com

I finished the entire testing process for LVMPD today. The following is what I can tell you about you can expect. Please note this is subject to change and reflects only MY experience. Some things are different than what is listed on the website. Be smart and prepared and you'll do fine. ALso please note that I am a local, so time frames may be different for you. I turned my application on 9/1, today is 11/29, so the entire testing part of the process, at least the part in which I was required to participate, took almost exactly three months. There are still two months until my BI either will/will not present 'me' in paperwork form to the review board for hiring approval. So:

application-hired=5 months
    application-academy=7 months

WRITTEN TEST (CASHMAN CENTER-indoor)

The test will consist of: a street scene you need to study for the allotted amount of time, then you will answer questions about the scene; sentences that contain a grammatical or verb usage mistake, or no mistake, which you will be required to identify; mock dept. policies and procedures you must read and then infer answers from (you will be able to refer back to them); some simple math questions and some simple logic questions.

The test is multiple choice on a scantron. It will be scored while you wait, and you will be shown your score on a big list, then asked to schedule your time for the PFT.

PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST (CHEYENNE SPORTS COMPLEX-outdoor)

You will perform: grip strength on a dynamometer; a test where you bend and touch the floor, then twist and touch behind you, then repeat 15 or so times. You cannot look cool doing this, so don't worry. ; 1-mile run; 100-yard dash. Just go as fast as you can. I didn't see anyone fail the dash, but several failed the mile run; sit-ups (not as easy as you think, definitely practice, and I mean sit-ups, not crunches) and push-ups. You will be scheduled for your ORAL BOARD after you pass everything.

ORAL BOARD (101 Convention Center Drive floor 2)

This test can be very intimidating. Search these forums for possible subject matter, as the test was very straightforward and not at all tricky. There were three uniformed officers on my OB, a LT, a SGT and a TAC officer.

IMPORTANT: After your oral board you will be given your background packet. Start NOW collecting all appropriate documents listed on the front. DO NOT wait until you get your letter saying you passed on to the next phase. You have to present your draft card, your SSA work history, HS and college transcripts, all DL numbers, all traffic offenses, residences, etc. The info or documents may be harder to get than you think, and can be expensive. I have personally spent about $50 on parking, documents, materials, etc. Some things take a couple weeks to get in the mail. The packet is time consuming and extensive, and BI detectives have no sense of humor about leaving things blank, etc. Open it TODAY and get to work.

When you finish, if allowed, take out the staple and make copies of your packet info in case you apply again or for another agency. Saves you the footwork next time.

VIDEO TEST (101 Convention Center Drive floor 2)

This test is required for data collection purposes, and is scored, but is not part of the selection process as of October 2005. It is (dramatized) scenarios on video, then multiple choice answers as to what the officers in those scenarios should do next.

The test will take the full amount of time they say it will.

The preceding is the first round of testing. The following tests are scheduled if you pass the first round:

BACKGROUND INTERVIEW (101 Convention Center Drive floor 2)

You meet your BI and go over your packet with them. You will present them with all supporting documents, and they will ask you "why not?" if you say you couldn't get anything required. Show up with a neat, complete packet, and you're all set. Expect to explain anything negative in the packet, in detail. If you realize you made a mistake somewhere, tell them now. According to my BI, dishonesty is the #1 reason candidates fail. If you've smoked pot before, etc. then say so. I have, I told them, they understood. Be honest. Everything asked can and will be asked again and again in several different ways, and they will catch you if you try to fib.

Your BI will then schedule your WRITTEN PSYCH and POLYGRAPH.

WRITTEN PSYCH (101 Convention Center Drive Floor 2)

This is where the famous LVMPD hiring process 'brutality' begins. The test is administered by Dr. Harrison Stanton, and his wife, Dr. Harrison Stanton's wife.

There are three separate multiple choice tests given, as well as a couple fill-in-the-blank doohickeys. The first two are typical peronality tests, "I like the color red: true/false" and really will take several hours. The last multiple choice test is authored by the good Doc Stanton himself, but only takes a few minutes. You'll see what I mean.

The written psych is only difficult because of the endurance involved. It will take 2.5 - 4 hours. Don't freak out if people are getting finished after like an hour and a half. Those are dispatch or Fire Dept. candidates.

You will be scheduled for an ORAL PSYCH test as your turn in all your test materials.

ORAL PSYCH (101 Convention Center Drive floor 7)

AHA! Did you notice I said floor 7? Dr. Stanton's office is not on the same tower, so watch which elevator you get on. That slow bastard in the east tower won't do the trick. Get to the outside, then enter the west tower thru the front doors. Ride the elevator up to floor 7, find the office, and sit down.

Either Dr. Stanton or Dr. Stanton (female) will call you in, and then they will barrage you with questions for 30 minutes. Don't joke or try to be overly friendly, because they won't laugh, and there isn't time to do so. Ths is a very no-nonsense interview. Keep it that way. They will ask you to elaborate about anything that flagged in the written portion, and it can get personal and raw. Just answer the questions and you'll do fine. Next thing you know it's over.

POLYGRAPH (101 Convention Center Drive floor 2)

Okay, don't worry. It's not so bad. Plan on passing. You will go over the packet you turned in to your BI, the examiner (a detective) will explain the equipment, etc. and the tell you how infallible it is. Plan on passing.

Just remember that you have been completely honest, and that they aren't going to ask you about anything you haven't been asked already. Plan on passing, continue to tell the truth, and it will be over before you know it.

After going over the specific questions, you will be asked two sets of questions that deal with crimes and honesty, respectively. You will be asked each set of questions three times. Your examiner will tell you whether you passed or not, and may ask you about any questiuon they feel you were unsure about answering. Again, plan on passing.

THAT'S IT!!

At this point there is nothing you can do to help or hurt your chances. It's all up to your employers and character references (which you hand-picked) to fill in your BI about you. Good luck!

Okay, maybe that wasn't it:

MEDICAL SCREENING (1700 Wheeler Peak )

Once you pass background, it's time for your medical. They send a packet in the mail sometime around the time you get the call asking you for workout gear sizes and whether you'll be bringing your own weapon. It's a long questionairre about your med history and that of your family, but by this time you're used to long repetitive forms asking you the same things you've been asked 5 times. You also need to fast 12 hours before the physical for bloodwork. Wear shorts and your running shoes. You take your shirt off to run. If you wear contacts, bring all the stuff you use to take them out. The screening itself basically a physical. You'll do, not necessarily in this order:

Pee in a cup
    Chest x-ray
    Vision Test
    Color Vision Test (like this)
    Fine print test
    BP resting/Standing
    Bloodwork (4 vials)
    TB ***** test
    Gland/reflex/eye/ear/nose/throat/hernia (cough cough)/balance/(very)basic agility test <----all of these with a doc
    Breathing (Big bad wolf) test
    Hearing test

After all that, they give you some juice and graham crackers from a special LVMPD/CCFD ONLY fridge. How f*cking cool is that?

Then you do a stress test, where they hook you up to all the wires, and you walk on a mill for about 5 minutes, briskly for 5, then jog with a big grade for 3.

Please Note: This was my experience, but the medical screening may be different for female recruits. (?) Please excuse me if I left anything out that may apply to you.

That's it! I don't think it's even a pass/fail kind of thing so much as to establish a baseline of your vitals pre-employment.

The location of the UMC where you need to go is sort of remote. It's on the south side of Russell, between Maryland and Eastern. If you come down Maryland, not Russell, you won't get caught up in the Airport lanes.

Notes on parking:

101 convention center is one of the most difficult to access buildings in Las Vegas. Park in the underground garage, and expect to pay CASH .75 per half hour. If you can't afford it, park accoss the street at ROSS. DO NOT park at Flyaway, Walgreens, or in the strip mall parking. You will be towed by the people in charge of towing the lot.

Parking is a non-issue and free at Cashman Center and Cheyenne Sports Complex.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!! TELL THE TRUTH!!!

[COLOR=Navy]UPDATE:

Got 'the call' last week. I'll be starting the academy on 4/9/06... Academy updates to follow!

...Update: It's hard as hell!

...Update: The above was an understatement. But it was worth it!!

...Update: CLASS 2-2006 GRADUATED 09/07/06

...Update: CLASS 2-2006 GRADUATED FTEP!!

...Update: CLASS 2-2006 PASSED PROBATION!! 04/07/08

...Update: Officer Costello, CLASS 2-2006 leadership award recipient, first 2-06 officer featured on COPS!!

CLICK HERE!!
    Last edited by duke3478; 05-03-2008, 04:23 PM.
    LVMPD:THE BEST

What kind of questions did they ask you in the oral Psych exam?

Comment

You will be asked questions about your family life, current and past, and you will be asked to elaborate on any 'negative' info revealed in the written.

The oral psych is no big deal, really, they are just kind of dry with you. I have heard of candidates being prodded with questions in what appeared to be an attempt to get them to react with anger. I can't speak to whether this is true or not, but it didn't happen to me. I suspect that the no-nonsense nature of the interview (they have sometimes 1000 people at a pop to get through, and the interview must take inly 30 mins.) just rubs people the wrong way.

What isn't going to happen is them going, "You said you liked Alice in Wonderland and that you would enjoy being a dress designer, yet you also said you would enjoy being an auto mechanic. Are you lying, or trying to hide something?"

It's more like:"You said you were uncomfortable being watched at work on a weekly basis, what's that about?"

When I interviewed for the Deputy City Marshals I had the same psych/oral psych battery as LVMPD. That time around I had the male Dr. Stanton, and we had an interaction like this:

Dr. Stanton: You said you were uncomfortable in enclosed spaces, why is that?

Me: I did?

DS: On question 145, 'I feel uncomfortable in enclosed spaces' your answer:'weekly'

M: I really put that down?

DS: [now exasperated] I'll repeat my question only once more: You said you were uncomfortable in enclosed spaces, why is that?

M: [catching on] Well, if that was the answer I indicated, then it was by mistake, I am not at all claustrophobic.

He scribbled some notes, and on we went. It was no big deal, and I still passed. But he didn't want to sit and convince me that I had put that answer down, or show me the sheet to prove it. There simply isn't time.

I'm getting long winded here, sorry. I guess I already answered your question, but let me tell you, the oral psych shouldn't worry you. Just tell the truth.
      Last edited by duke3478; 04-12-2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Ramble away. I'd rather have too much information than not enough, and you've been giving out a lot of good info . Congrats on getting that far in the process.

Comment

Hey Duke,

I got one question. On the written test, you said that there is simple math. In the PDF studyguide I downloaded from Metro's website, it has no math at all. I am also doing a study guide I bought, which has alot of math such as, fractions, decimals, percentages, ratios, and some geometry. Is any of this on the test, or is it just really basic math? I was wondering why they wouldn't include it in the study guide. Maybe it's really basic they didn't need to? Anyway if you could tell me, I would appreciate it. Thay way I can concentrate on the other things like the report writing and memory, etc. I haven't done math in 6 years, lol, and it's a pain in the but trying to learn all that crap again.

Oh and one more thing, do they let you use a calculator?
          Last edited by want2BAKop; 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I may be confusing some of the practice tests I took with LVMPD's written. What math there was, if any, was nothing involving anything more complicated than basic addition. Now that I'm really grinding on it, there may have been none at all. I forgot to mention that there are at least a few policies and procedures (anyone in muni work or public service knows what these are and that they go together) that you need to interpret. But, they're right there to flip back to, answers in black and white, so take your time and GET THEM RIGHT. No excuse on these.

Things you need to know that aren't there for you are grammar and memory, and if you dain't already learnt grammar before now that you're grown it's too late to learn grammar now. hehe. One trouble spot can be guessing at a mistake when there isn't one on the sentence they give you.

In other words, want2, don't sweat the fractions or decimals, other than the .40in versus .09cm debate. The written isn't all that tough. If you score in the mid to high 70's you'll do okay. Most of the scores I saw on the list (you can see everyone's) were 67%-76%. If you score a B or an A you'll be sailing. Just don't fail the oral!

Good luck again, all, and thanks for the kind words!

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478
              To be perfectly honest, I may be confusing some of the practice tests I took with LVMPD's written. What math there was, if any, was nothing involving anything more complicated than basic addition. Now that I'm really grinding on it, there may have been none at all. I forgot to mention that there are at least a few policies and procedures (anyone in muni work or public service knows what these are and that they go together) that you need to interpret. But, they're right there to flip back to, answers in black and white, so take your time and GET THEM RIGHT. No excuse on these.

Things you need to know that aren't there for you are grammar and memory, and if you dain't already learnt grammar before now that you're grown it's too late to learn grammar now. hehe. One trouble spot can be guessing at a mistake when there isn't one on the sentence they give you.

In other words, want2, don't sweat the fractions or decimals, other than the .40in versus .09cm debate. The written isn't all that tough. If you score in the mid to high 70's you'll do okay. Most of the scores I saw on the list (you can see everyone's) were 67%-76%. If you score a B or an A you'll be sailing. Just don't fail the oral!

Good luck again, all, and thanks for the kind words!
              I appreciate it. When do you go to the Academy?

Comment

April, and I like the factual way you state that!

Comment

Allright Duke, we've gotta talk about your avatar. That's Clint Eastwood, isn't it? Sorry to tell ya, but Clint wasn't the Duke. The Duke was *everyone's favorite* John Wayne. The only civilan to receive the Medal of Honor if I remember correctly...

I'm not saying that Clint didn't kick some @$$, but he wasn't the Duke.

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478
                    April, and I like the factual way you state that!
                    Well I just figured...lol..

When do you think the Academy will be for people testing in January?

Comment

Originally posted by KHelton
                      Allright Duke, we've gotta talk about your avatar. That's Clint Eastwood, isn't it? Sorry to tell ya, but Clint wasn't the Duke. The Duke was *everyone's favorite* John Wayne. The only civilan to receive the Medal of Honor if I remember correctly...

I'm not saying that Clint didn't kick some @$$, but he wasn't the Duke.
                      Meh, the two are unrelated. (The guy in my avatar is Jed Cooper.) 'The Duke' as a handle comes from when I played the Duke of Milan. I've been using that since 1995. Nothing to do with JW who damn sure isn't my favorite! I am, however, not stupid enough to think CE is 'the duke.'

Thanks for checking, though.

Comment

This question is directed toward Duke 3478. I was just wondering what kind of background you have, i.e. education, military, prior law enforcement experience.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking about applying, and I was wondering what type of person Las Vegas Metro is looking for.

Comment

Trouble, I ain't gonna go into all my personal details here, sorry...

If you are interested in the position, I would suggest you go ahead and apply! So what if you aren't what they're looking for? ...I'm in no position to speak on their behalf, but it appears LVMPD is looking for the same type of person every other agency is... Higher education, military and law enforcement experience can help, but none are required. I have some, but not all of these things, and I don't think that made any difference. Your answers in the oral matter, your written score matters. I think I killed the oral, and jerked the trigger a little on the written... Overall, I passed, and I am very happy with my final ranking.

But, look: I posted the info above to report on what I experienced. What will DQ you, what they're looking for, etc. is something better addressed to a selection professional. I am happy to elaborate on any part of the process if I can.

I will tell you that LVMPD is very nice to out-of-state applicants. (I was one, once.) Good luck!

Comment

One more question for you duke ..

What was the time limit on the Mile. I have looked at the website and I didn't see it posted. I run it in about 6-8 minutes depending on the condition I am in so I am not worried but was seeing what they were looking for.

Thanks.

Comment

I can't resist. I retired from METRO awhile back. I was bitter when I left but don't let that jade you. I was just too old to still be working the streets in a ghetto in a politically correct world.

As for who they are looking for, right now, if you can breath, and you have no disqualifiers you have a good shot. They just passed a tax initiative to increase staffing several hundred and we were having a hard time getting qualified candidates before that.

When I had my pysch interview I had already been a policeman for 10 years. He said to me, " I don't believe you are assertive enough to be a police officer" This of course was based on their little check list of yes and no questions and the fact that answered things about not arguing with people when I knew they were wrong etc. Off duty I don't need the stress, let them be idiots. Anyway, I start in to him about what a farce his "science" his and how arrogant he is to assume he can make that judgement based on a buntch of check boxes as opposed to me prior employment history and evaluations etc. About 15 seconds into this he goes ok ok, I see you are. That was about the end of it. I got hired.

Also questions about sex with Chickens, just tell them you always hold out for the good looking ones.

If you like living in a big dynamic politically correct city you will love it. The department itself is wonderful. Every Sgt I had except one was some of the best people I have ever worked for and the perks are great. Enjoy and good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4158 users online. 242 members and 3916 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X