300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncertainty

I've finally convinced my family to let me try to become an officer. Here's my situation:

I'm a sophomore in college. I'm going for an BS in Accounting and an accelerated 1 year MBA degree. All the departments around here have an age cap (that being 21). I've got roughly two years before I graduate, and then I would like to begin the process.

Two problems.

1. My family has a strong tradition of military service. I'm currently seeking options to attend Marine OCS, or even just enlist and serve out a contract. Not so much before I'm the type of guy that yells "GET SOME" and punches people in the face, but because the GI bill would take care of a FULL YEAR of college tuition and books.

Do police departments accomodate their officers being in the reserve/guard? I'm sure military experience is preferred, but in my case it might be simultaneous.

2. When I was 17, I wrecked my first car. My Neon had been in the garage for electrical work, and shortly before I completely owned a traffic light my entire electrical system fizzled. A woman resembling Michael Jackson saw me wipe out, as did my teenage neighbor. When the officer arrived on-scene, he dismissed my neighbor, and took the elderly Ms. Jackson's words as law. He slapped me with tickets totalling over $1k, and to cover the cost of replacing the light.

Due to the neighbor's mother being a lawyer, the incident was argued down to nothing more than a misdemeanor and the cost of replacing the light (which was struck by lightning the following week).

I'll openly admit that I screwed up and was driving beyond my ability, despite the dealership taking responsibility for any mechanical failures relating to my accident.

Is a misdemeanor on my juvenile record going to hurt my during the qualification process? I've never even gotten a speeding ticket, for Christ's sake. It would really suck for one immature mistake and ridiculous situation to ruin my chances, wouldn't it?

3. HAHA, YOU DIDN'T SEE #3 COMING DID YOU?

Seriously, though. I'm looking to apply to six departments (Clayton, Ladue, Richmond Heights, Maplewood, Brentwood, St. Louis County; FYI in case you're in/around St. Louis), mainly for the reason that I've already bought a home in the area, and these departments are all within a stones throw of my house. Should I keep my options open and be willing to relocate, or is six local departments enough?

4. Heck, they just keep on coming!

Anyways; I played football in high school for a year. I promptly broke my ankle and wrist. Since then, I've rehabbed like crazy to get back to where I was. Here' s the deal. I can run a 1.5 mile in 11 minutes, do the Ranger requirement of situps, and do a pullup or two. I cannot, however, do push ups. I've not really tried to improve myself beyond practice, but I always fall 10-11 short of the required. I've looked into having surgery to repair the wrist, but there is always a chance that it'll mess up my wrist.

My actual question is: Can previous injuries DQ you during qualification? I remember when I talked to the Army recruiter, he asked me to list any injuries/nagging injuries that I suffered. He said my wrist could disqualify me from military service. (The Marine recruiter said he was full of ****e.)

Sorry if I typed too much. My father always taught me that being thorough was better than leaving people with questions.

OK, first I am not a police officer yet but am going through the process.

From what I have looked at here and what I understand from other sites Your driving record probably wont hurt you.

The injury however will keep you from passing some tests. If pushups is one of the requirments they will DQ you for that. You have to be able to pass the tests. There was a post like this not to long ago about an ankle injury of similar issues. Also you might want to consider if that wrist injury would put you at risk of not being able to do the full job at times.

Just my input and it means very little.

GOODLUCK!

Comment

Go down to the St Louis County and Municipal Police Academy, speak to somebody there. The Last Time I took a class there they had a deal, you go for free if you promise to be a cop for two years, All those agencies you mentioned, mine there for recruits. The Academy can discuss your physical problems, Nothing else sounds like a dealbreaker. You may have to look at first outside your initial picks, most of those are considered plums, but hey there are like a hundred agencies in St. Louis County.
      Last edited by purdinpopo; 11-29-2005, 12:31 PM. Reason: dropped comma
      Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

Reason for Editing.
        Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 06:02 PM.
        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

ANUJ, Ease up on all the questions and hold back from writing a book on your life and what your father taught you.

Your wrist problems. No you can not enlist or be a commissioned officer in the military with your wrist problems. Aside from the fact you mentioned the minimum for "ranger". If you only knew the half of it and this is not the place to mention it any further.

Besides your one minor traffic incident, the only way you can see if you can make it past a physical with any department, is to acutally test with them as see hwo your wrist stands up. If you fail, well then you have your answers to your own questions!

Yes most departments do accomodate their officers who are in the Reserves/National Guard. One thing you have to realize is that we are still a country at war and no matter your MOS in the military or reserve status, you can still be called to active duty for up to 2 years at one time. So starting off at a department and then getting deployed right away does not always look so good.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by lazycop
            There is no way you would make it through OCS it you are not able to do push-ups. You have seen the PFT? You need around 20 pull-ups. Unless they have changed something.

You would have a hard time getting past a PDs PAT test if you cant do many push-ups. Go for it though. By the time you are ready you could be in very good shape if you train right. Good luck.
            That's strange. I guess it does vary from department, because the sites I looked at listed 10 as the minimum. I'm not one to shy away from working.

As for push-ups: I guess I'm going to have to get surgery, then. I used to be able to do push-ups all day.

Although this thread is a bit discouraging, I still have two years. I guess I'll be training quite a bit.

Comment

Juse because one department list their MINIMUM requirements for push-ups is 10, there is also the factor that you state you have a wrist problem. Heres where it can be a liablity to yourself and a department: will your wrist affect you if you have to take down a suspect?, will it affect your abilities to fire a weapon correctly? Will it affect your writing/typing skills?

Just because opinions have been stated here does not mean you can not become a LEO.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                Juse because one department list their MINIMUM requirements for push-ups is 10, there is also the factor that you state you have a wrist problem. Heres where it can be a liablity to yourself and a department: will your wrist affect you if you have to take down a suspect?, will it affect your abilities to fire a weapon correctly? Will it affect your writing/typing skills?

Just because opinions have been stated here does not mean you can not become a LEO.
                It's strange. I think my opinion of what I can do was influenced by one bad gym workout.

I've been training for about a week, and my wrist hasn't been hurting. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, and he recommended exercises.

I hit 30 pushups in 1 minute earlier this week. Maybe all I needed was some inspiration.

As for the wrist itself: I've been at the range a couple of times, and it never hurt from recoil. Still looking for more realistic ways to test it. Writing/typing isn't a problem.

Thanks for your responses.

edit - wrong times.
                Last edited by anuj; 12-05-2005, 08:58 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4349 users online. 276 members and 4073 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X