Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.I. & volunteering information

B.I. process and volunteering information

Have a question that I wanted to pose to the board in hopes of getting some insight and or advice.

I am currently in the process with 2 state and 1 municipal police departments in my region and my background investigation for 2 of these departments are underway and almost complete.

Shortly after the start of my b.i. (and having had met with my b.i’s and answering any questions posed, having my references contacted and neighbors visited) I received a reprimand at work for violation of my companies electronic communication policy (I am looking for the link of the site and will post it when I find it). Although I had never had any issues, problems and or any previous warnings (including any sort of disciplinary actions) I was given a very formal and stern write up because of the alleged violation. I went ahead and presented my case to my company’s h.r group and they upheld their decision, afterwards I requested an outside arbitrator and am awaiting a hearing.

My question is this; I have another meeting coming up with my b.i and am wondering if I should bring this up on my own? I have been very straightforward with my b.i. about everything and even had volunteered certain information at the start (of which they had commended me for doing so). Is my not bringing the subject up a negative on my part? I don’t want to appear as trying to withhold information (I had signed a waiver to allow the b.i’s access to all areas of my life). I am just not trying to get disqualified, any feedback would be appreciated. Also, I apologize for making this so long. Thank you.

[QUOTE=Sanhedrin]B.I. process and volunteering information

Have a question that I wanted to pose to the board in hopes of getting some insight and or advice.

I am currently in the process with 2 state and 1 municipal police departments in my region and my background investigation for 2 of these departments are underway and almost complete.

Shortly after the start of my b.i. (and having had met with my b.i

Comment

CST, thanks for the advise. I am thinking of telling the b.i's when i met up with them, im just really hoping i dont get dq from the process as many have told me in the past that they have been discontinued from further processing after for issues such as mine.

here is the link that i got in trouble for:

http://www.sonicperfection.com/Tonk.wmv

thanks again.

Originally posted by cst.sb
      It could certainly be a problem if they find it before you vollunterr it. The BI investigators are going to be talking to your employers, past and present.

I would also be careful in how you use the word 'alleged' because it sometimes reaks of hiding something. You have only one chance with crediblity, so if you have screwed up, you better admit it. Most police departments have 'accountability' listed as a core value.

If you made a mistake, as we all do, suck it up and take your lump. Call your recruiting officer, and tell him or her exactly what you were doing and what happened before they call you and your honest, integrity and credibility are called in to question.

And remember mistakes happen and when you become a cop, you're going to make plenty.
      Last edited by Sanhedrin; 11-23-2005, 05:53 PM.

Comment

San, do bring it up on your next meeting. It may be possible that they already know and if you don't tell them, well they may bring it up and then you may get DQ'ed. If you have been honest thus far, do continue to do so. Good luck.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Here Is My Take On It ... Seems To Me You Might Be Riding On The Fence Here..

1. If You Dont Tell Them,your Honesty And Intergrity Are Down The Drown.if You Decide To Tell Them And Say They Know Already They Might See Past It Because You Werent Trying To Hid It Or What Not

2. If You Do Decide To Tell Them You Might Be In World Of ****!due To The Fact That Link That You Got In Trouble For Was Kinda Distasteful And Others Might See It As Racist(i Am Hispanic And At First I Was Like Tisk Tisk But Then Afterwards I Was Like This Was Funny) It All Depends On The Person Who Hears It !! If They Decide To Know Exactly Why And For Some Weird Crazy Reason They Wanna See This Link Or What Not You Might As Well Kiss Ur *** Bye Bye (as Far As The Department Goes)

I Hope Youve Learned From This Experiance.. Please Keep Us Informed As I Wish Nothing But The Best For You !!!good Luck!!
          We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

A couple of quick questions:

1. How did you violate your agency's communications policy?

2. What role did this video play in the violation?

3. If you posted or distributed the video via the company's website or email system, in what context did you do so?
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I messed up on this one and will tell my investigators as soon as I speak with them, I

Comment

I've got to tell you, I see this as an instant DQ.

Here's the problem. Let's say one of the PDs you are applying for overlooks this little peccadillo and hires you anyway. A year or two down the line someone you arrest files a blatantly false civil rights suit, alleging you arrested and beat them because of their race (trust me, it will happen). During the course of the civil trial it is discovered that the PD hired you in spite of the fact that they knew you had been disciplined by a previous employer for distributing links to a racist video. Even if the lawsuit against you and the PD is blatantly false, your credibility and that of the department will be lost in the eyes of the jury. In addition, the press, along with MALDEF, LULAC, the NAACP and the ACLU will take great joy in crucifying you and your agency.

In short, you represent a huge political liability to prospective law enforcement employers.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, this is exactly on how I was thinking and am afraid about. I know that H.R. Departments all across the country take things like this as no laughing matter. I did forward the e-mail period. I definitely can see and understand your line of thinking and can see how a department will most likely align itself as you have said. I still have 1 more try with binding arbitration to see if I can get this receded or if it will stay written in stone. I think I am going to defer further processing with these departments until the arbitration has been completed instead of risking rolling this dice with this one.

Originally posted by L-1
                  I've got to tell you, I see this as an instant DQ.

Here's the problem. Let's say one of the PDs you are applying for overlooks this little peccadillo and hires you anyway. A year or two down the line someone you arrest files a blatantly false civil rights suit, alleging you arrested and beat them because of their race (trust me, it will happen). During the course of the civil trial it is discovered that the PD hired you in spite of the fact that they knew you had been disciplined by a previous employer for distributing links to a racist video. Even if the lawsuit against you and the PD is blatantly false, your credibility and that of the department will be lost in the eyes of the jury. In addition, the press, along with MALDEF, LULAC, the NAACP and the ACLU will take great joy in crucifying you and your agency.

In short, you represent a huge political liability to prospective law enforcement employers.
                  Last edited by Sanhedrin; 11-28-2005, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I agree with L-1 on this one.

On Canada's national news channel there was a story invovling two police departments that are currently conducting internal investigation after a racist rap song was circulated through their internal email. The title of the story was 'police racism' and it was repeated over and over again, to the point of being silly.

Even outside law enforcement there are huge liability issues for organiztions that don't deal with racism, or even perceived racism.

I would contact your 'recruiter' and not wait to speak to a BI.

Comment

Dude, that is a funny email. I have to admit it was. However what the hell were you thinking sending this over company email. If you did it on your personal email no big deal. But when your employes says that they check email and that people get fired for it, guess what they are right.

Do I think this will ruin your chances to get in LE. In the short term yes it will. However, keep your mouth shut and do your job well. In the mean time let your BI's know (this is something you better disclose, they will find it.)

YOu might get passed over due to the recency of the offenses. Wait a few years reapply, show that you are a good candidate and everything shoud go well.

As for the background thing, you get an allegation etc. etc. Just remember, everyone of us has something in our background that if someone wanted to lambaste or sue your agency they could. Its called being human. Just be honest about it and go from there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7631 users online. 359 members and 7272 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X