300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I went

So i went to the Sheriffs Office's Human Resource Department today to turn in my first application. What is done in Lee county is turn it in and then wait for approval within 30 to 60 days for an interview. Well, not today, the kind lady says"Oh, i have a opening for a interview today". I asked her when and she replies "NOW". My heart stops. Im like "uhhhh uhhh OK". So i fill out all these papers and then here he comes..... This Big Older Man with a Badge and a Glock strapped to his side. I was really not ready for all of this. I get to his office and begin to explain myself. He asks a few questions about me and hobbies. We strike it right off, he also likes to rebuild hot rods and older cars for show. This is what i went to college for! He tells me that i have just skipped about a month or two of waiting because I was filling in for a IDIOT that was late to his interview. He gives me Phase II papers, tells me to fill them out and get a physical. He says when i pass that he is going to offer me a position as a Deputy in ither Corrections or LEO on the road. So I am really excited. My family is NOT so excited... They are ****ed I went to school for something different and now im going to risk my life for others... What a BAD ending to a GREAT DAY huh...............
    X8

Good luck and congrads....

Comment

yeah it takes a real strong family to be supportive .. just understand them and hopefully they will get used to it .. me and my girl have talked about it a tone (yeah im whipped . I explained to her everything .. ****ty hours , workin holidays,ect. Oh well .. congrats on that note ... like most people say in this profession .. you have to be at the right place at the right time

Comment

Damn.....talk about luck!! Congrats on the interview. Yeah, my family was a little ****ed that I went to college, got a BA in management/marketing and now I do this. Hell, I paid for my school, I'll do what I want with it!
        The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
        Ronald Reagan

Comment

That's pretty exciting man. Good luck with the rest of the process.

Screw family, who needs em?! JK!!!! Your parents will understand (hopefully) if this is a passion of yours.

Comment

Law enforcement is not a job, it is a career. Congrats and good luck.

Comment

KeperODSEA,

Congratulations & good luck!!! Along the same lines as "MPD-A9" Getting into Law Enforcement is a "calling" not just a career.

19 years ago I made the decision to follow my dream and become a police officer. Not unlike you I was expected to follow a pre-determined path in life and follow my father's footsteps into the oil biz.....NO FRIGG'N WAY!!!

I took the police exam in 1986 and was hired in 1988. So I would have to say your moving right along.

When my dad found out I was quiting the family biz needless to say he was more than ****ed. My mom was somewhat supportive. But when it was all said and done (5 months later, after the academy) they were both very proud of me. Matter of fact they couldn't go through a conversation with anyone with out telling them I was a cop. Their not big on the cop stories, and I figure its better they don't know some of things I've done.

So, I would imagine they'll be upset at first. But once you prove your independence they will be proud of who you have become.

Remember: Being a police officer isn't just a job....police officer's are chosen.

Comment

Good timing!

Best wishes, and I hope things work out for your family.

Comment

Good job. My parents were ****ed off at me for choosing this career too, so don't feel bad .

Comment

yeah i graduated with a degree in Management Information Systems with two buddies...they started out making 50k a yr...there is no place in FL that you can start @ 50k and be a cop, but hey, its what i want to do...

Comment

My parents always knew I was either going to be a cop or a Lawyer. Dad never wanted me to carry on the business, although ive ran it for 3yrs while in school, and worked their for 7. So when I told them I was quitting school and joining as a cop, and ill finish my school while being a cop, he wasnt happy. Not so much of the field, but because he needs me to run the business. Hes still trying to convince me to finish my last year of school and go to law school, but im just bored with school and ready to move on. Hopefully they will come to understand...But if not, I can move on without their support. -Ryan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5326 users online. 303 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X