300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD or Secret Service Officer?

I'm a college student right now and I'll be transfering to Michigan State University. I'll be majoring in Computer Science with a consentration in Cyber Security and I'll also be majoring in Psychology. By the time I'm done I'll have 2 bachlors degrees from MSU. My long-term goal is to be in the F.B.I. as a Special Agent Investigator. I'm in the Army National Guard part-time right now and my question is, should I go be a police officer in the NYPD to get my law enforcement experience or would being a Secret Service Officer benefit me more? I only plan on being in either the NYPD of Secret Service for about 3 or 4 years before trying to get into the FBI. I know that I can't make detective in the NYPD unless I stay longer then 3 or 4 years...what do you guys suggest I do? Thanks!

deleted...........
    Last edited by Maristguy; 04-16-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maristguy
      Im not a cop but I do know from the application proccess so far and actually talking to a secret service agent today. You wont get hired by the secret service as a special agent, maybe in the uniformed division, but the special agents require 3 years of police experience before they will consider you so you best bet is probly NYPD for a few years.

Thats not true, I am currently at the last step of the hiring process for a special agent in the Secret Service and the agent doing my BI said I should have the job by next week. I only have experience in restaurants and one year of accounting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jizzoe007
        Thats not true, I am currently at the last step of the hiring process for a special agent in the Secret Service and the agent doing my BI said I should have the job by next week. I only have experience in restaurants and one year of accounting experience.
        Good to know Jizzoe. How long did it take to get to where you are now and did you have any things, other than no LE experience, that you felt might keep you from getting hired?

Comment

I know that I can't be a Special Agent with the Secret Service without 3 or so years of experience. But should I go with the Secret Service Uniformed Division or would the NYPD benefit me more?

Comment

Originally posted by ctt
            Good to know Jizzoe. How long did it take to get to where you are now and did you have any things, other than no LE experience, that you felt might keep you from getting hired?

I also got fired from a job a couple of years ago, but I disclosed everything up front and did not lie on the poly. I put my application in on December 21, 2004. They told me it would take between 9 and 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by F.B.I.24
              I know that I can't be a Special Agent with the Secret Service without 3 or so years of experience. But should I go with the Secret Service Uniformed Division or would the NYPD benefit me more?

If you want to be an FBI Agent, don't touch the Secret Service. I would suggest getting 3 years of investigation experience under your belt before you even try, or join the military.

Comment

If you plan on coming to the NYPD be prepared for a very rough entry level process. As a result of recent arbitration rulings all new officers entering the police academy will start training at 25,000 dollars per year starting in Jan 2006 instead of 39,000 presently. Also if they suspect up front that you are planning to leave to go to another agency, they will be scrutinizing you a lot more. I am not saying that you won't gain valuable experience, but you will give up a lot to get it.

Comment

Whats so bad about the secret service if you want to apply for the FBI?
                  Last edited by daleHawkins; 10-08-2005, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Check out another board

Listen, I'm not on the NYPD and I'm not pretending to know much about it.

Find the NYPD Rant board. It's one of the ezboard websites. I'm sure you can find it. Ask your question there, you'll get an earful. Believe me, and earful.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5746 users online. 331 members and 5415 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X