300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i just become a P.I. or bounty hunter

i really really want to be come a cop. I hate drugs, I hate murders I want to put them all away. Plus i love the adventure of tracking people down and all that goes along with being a cop. However my drug use is what made me want to become a cop. Seeing what drugs could have done to me makes me want to do something about it.

I will be 21 in 2 months. The last time i ever touched a drug or alochol was when i was 17. I have only gotten 1 moving violation since i have been over 18 and that was a stop sign violation. I messed up my credit real bad when i was 18 got credit cards maxed them out within 6 months bought a sports car which i cant afford. I doing everything possible not to file bankruptcy but i am starting community college in Januairy and wont be able to work as much. But i am working with a credit counsling service to try to get my bills in order.

Some background. When i was 15 started drinking and smoking pot. I smoked pot almost daily untill i was 17. I drank atleast 3 times a week. I Took mushrooms 1 time when i was 16, I smoked opium 1 or 2 times when i was 16, I did Ecasty 4 times when i was 16 and 17. I took over the counter motion sickness pills 3 or 4 times(i took a large amount so that i would hallucanate). I robotripped 1 time(dowing a bottle of caugh syrup in a min to hallucantate). I took over the counter ephridne(6pills at one time). I huffed a homemade inhalent 1 time. I dropped out of high school when i was 17. but later got my diploma through a online course. I have atleast 9 moving violations for driving too fast, or not obeing posted traffic sighns. I have been sighted for cerview violations aswell. Basicaly for about 2 years in my life i was a dumb *** and made a lot of stupid mistakes. I know that theres no way i can pass the drug use off as expermental cause i did it to long. Some how i managed never to be arrested for any of the stupid **** i did.
    All of this Happened before I was 18. I stoped in September 2002 and havent touched anything since.

That background looks damming doesnt it?

I am getting my B.S. in Buisness Admistration
    Working out all my credit problems
    working in as many jobs law and public related as i can(loss prevention, lifeguard, security, bouncer)
    i am trying to find a police department to let me shadow and learn with them to gain experience and a good reputation with them before hiring.
    Studing on my own about law and the hiring process so i can blow them away in the interview.
    Working out daily for the physical test.

I plan to apply with Baltimore city by December 06. once i have completed my B.S. degree and taken care of my credit. Also by that time it will have been over 4 years of soberness and straight living.

Im not getting hired ever tho am I? I should just become a PI or Bounty Hunter?(even tho those jobs are just like dick teases for me who wants to be a cop)

I hate to be the barer of bad news but it's not looking good man. A little pot here and there is not a big deal but your drug history is not good at all. Also, your credit will hurt your chances as well. You need to understand that Law Enforcement is extremely competitive and most people applying have a much better history then you. Your just too big of a risk. If you really think about it, can you blame them for not taking you?

The only chance I think you have is to first, put some time between the drug use and when you apply. Fix your credit the best you can and consider joining the military for a few years. After that do four years of school on their pocket, not yours. Just an idea.

After you have considerable amount of time between your drug use start applying to small departments. Low pay/low budget crap departments that will pay you jack but need officers badly. It will at least get your foot in the door. After you prove yourself worthy you can do a transfer to a bigger, better department. One thing you have going for you is that you were never arrested for anything.

Even with all of this, your chances are very slim. You will probably have enough rejection letters to cover your house. The key is to just keep applying EVERYWHERE and maybe, just maybe you'll get lucky. In this field, time heals quite a bit (but not everything).

On the bright side, you have come a long way. I don't know what made you change your life but most people aren't able to make the kind of turn you did. That speaks volumes about your character. Keep pushing and don't give up.

A little advice, get your degree in something other then law enforcement. What else do you want to do in life? Get a degree in business or something universal. Once you have a career in another field, continue applying to departments. If somebody takes you, great! If not, at least you already have another career started and a decent income.

Good luck in life. Even though you've already done considerable damage to your potential law enforcement career, you've chosen the right path in life.

EDIT: Just saw your getting your BS in Business and not Law Enforcement. Good move.
    Last edited by RabbitMPD; 10-06-2005, 04:01 PM.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

thanks for the info rabbitmpd. yeah i am majoring in buisness admin. Cause i know that there is a 99% chance of never getting hired or if i did, getting injuried maybe a year or 2 into the line of work and what good is a crimnal degree if your rotator cuff is torn and you cant be a cop again. I figured that my past would dick me over a good bit. I came out of that stupid time of my life alive, and smarter than i did when i started. Unlike most i had an eye opening experience and changed my life completly. I was walking the line, a couple of more months and i mighted of started herion or coke and ended up a junkie, somehow i got out and with no physical damage to myself. I hate drugs and i want to help others relize the effects drugs and crime can have their lives not only health wise but in their feuture. I will persue my other career options in life and maybe in 7 years when i have been 10 years sober i will start to apply. i mean in 7 years i will only be 27.

Comment

Everything Rabbit said is ,sadly true. But let me add 1 thing. When you get your degree in B.A. & if you're still enthralled with LE, keep in mind we (the police) need the business community for a variety of things. Your contribution to LE can be in that arena & God knows we need all the help we can get. Good Luck in your endeavours!

Comment

Being a PI sucks, I've been one while I work through school. If you're doing insurance fraud investigations, this is a typical day in the summer:

You park at your primary position at 0545

You sit in the back of your van, which is almost totally unventilated.

If it's 100 degrees outside, it's steaming inside the van, literally.

You're in your skivvies when your claimant comes out to leave. You've got maybe a minute to get dressed, put the camera down, and hop up front to tail.

Other lovely incidents:

I live in Chicago. I was told to be in Miami within 24 hours to start a case. I was driving

A three day assignment in the Bronx turned into 6 weeks spent between Washington Heights, Queens, and the South Bronx.

Be ready to do 10 hours of surveillance...drive 8 hours to your next location...then work right after arrival.

I was blocks from South Beach, but never once went, because after 10 hours in the back of a van in that heat, I was throwing up for hours before passing out and starting over the next day.

Yeah man, it's hell.

Comment

Also you're more likely to get shot at as a PI or Bounty Hunter.

Anyways, there could be a department out there which would hire you...it may not be the best department out there, but if you want a LE job then go for it. You might have to go to a small 2-3 man department in Hicksville, USA for a job...it all depends on what you want to do. Loss Prevention is where the money is when it comes to "LE related" jobs. You get hired on with a Target, Walmart, etc. and you have the ability in a 5-10 years to be making 3x what we would be making in 10-15 years.

Comment

James I have to agree with everyone else on here and say you need to choose another career field. But you say you are going to start at a community college, but plan to apply to B-more city with your BS degree...but i know for a fact that with your past drug history that no department in Maryland will hire you. And you may want to re-think about going to community college to get your BS since you will only be able to get at least an Associates degree through a community college. But thats just my advice. Also even with your credit history, thats another negaive side of your past.

I would seriously think about another career field away from any type of Law Enforcement, because even getting into the Loss Prevention field, which is going to basically consist of catching shoplifters, not many stores/compaines will want someone with your past.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by kaiden
                Call 1-800-debbiedootson truck driving school.

your chances to become a LEO will be slim...

PI: for surveillances, invest in cooling equipment - they make lots of stuff now to help out and the stuff works very good. It's not that bad after you have the right equipment to work with... you can also go out and take statements and write reports..... workers' comp, traffic collision reviews (and go to traffic collision investigation courses, etc.).

Bounty Hunter: only if you look *good* in a mullet...

PI, especially if you get your own license is good money. Bounty Hunters make good coin too - with a little more excitement.... good luck

Yep, I am a licensed PI in CA and do some of this one the side..... for PI stuff, I do interviews and write reports 95% of the time.
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmcllister
                  i really really want to be come a cop. I hate drugs, I hate murders I want to put them all away. Plus i love the adventure of tracking people down and all that goes along with being a cop. However my drug use is what made me want to become a cop. Seeing what drugs could have done to me makes me want to do something about it.

I will be 21 in 2 months. The last time i ever touched a drug or alochol was when i was 17. I have only gotten 1 moving violation since i have been over 18 and that was a stop sign violation. I messed up my credit real bad when i was 18 got credit cards maxed them out within 6 months bought a sports car which i cant afford. I doing everything possible not to file bankruptcy but i am starting community college in Januairy and wont be able to work as much. But i am working with a credit counsling service to try to get my bills in order.

Some background. When i was 15 started drinking and smoking pot. I smoked pot almost daily untill i was 17. I drank atleast 3 times a week. I Took mushrooms 1 time when i was 16, I smoked opium 1 or 2 times when i was 16, I did Ecasty 4 times when i was 16 and 17. I took over the counter motion sickness pills 3 or 4 times(i took a large amount so that i would hallucanate). I robotripped 1 time(dowing a bottle of caugh syrup in a min to hallucantate). I took over the counter ephridne(6pills at one time). I huffed a homemade inhalent 1 time. I dropped out of high school when i was 17. but later got my diploma through a online course. I have atleast 9 moving violations for driving too fast, or not obeing posted traffic sighns. I have been sighted for cerview violations aswell. Basicaly for about 2 years in my life i was a dumb *** and made a lot of stupid mistakes. I know that theres no way i can pass the drug use off as expermental cause i did it to long. Some how i managed never to be arrested for any of the stupid **** i did.
                  All of this Happened before I was 18. I stoped in September 2002 and havent touched anything since.

That background looks damming doesnt it?

I am getting my B.S. in Buisness Admistration
                  Working out all my credit problems
                  working in as many jobs law and public related as i can(loss prevention, lifeguard, security, bouncer)
                  i am trying to find a police department to let me shadow and learn with them to gain experience and a good reputation with them before hiring.
                  Studing on my own about law and the hiring process so i can blow them away in the interview.
                  Working out daily for the physical test.

I plan to apply with Baltimore city by December 06. once i have completed my B.S. degree and taken care of my credit. Also by that time it will have been over 4 years of soberness and straight living.

Im not getting hired ever tho am I? I should just become a PI or Bounty Hunter?(even tho those jobs are just like dick teases for me who wants to be a cop)

damn dude, you should be lucky to be alive and tanking about all of that stuff you did.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmcllister
                    thanks for the info rabbitmpd. yeah i am majoring in buisness admin. Cause i know that there is a 99% chance of never getting hired or if i did, getting injuried maybe a year or 2 into the line of work and what good is a crimnal degree if your rotator cuff is torn and you cant be a cop again. I figured that my past would dick me over a good bit. I came out of that stupid time of my life alive, and smarter than i did when i started. Unlike most i had an eye opening experience and changed my life completly. I was walking the line, a couple of more months and i mighted of started herion or coke and ended up a junkie, somehow i got out and with no physical damage to myself. I hate drugs and i want to help others relize the effects drugs and crime can have their lives not only health wise but in their feuture. I will persue my other career options in life and maybe in 7 years when i have been 10 years sober i will start to apply. i mean in 7 years i will only be 27.

Some advice for you, never give up and just keep applying at every department and someone will pick you up. you will just have to work at a 4 man department for a couple of years to get your foot in the door, but it will happen. I have some friends at a near by department that has a background worse thatn you and it now working a an officer. One of them just went to the SO in the county that he worked because he proved himself by working at the small agency for a couple of years. Never give up and good luck

Comment

I don't know if I'd be worried the city will take anyone

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4412 users online. 240 members and 4172 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X