Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English fair,not proficient

Respected officers,
    I born and brought up in Punjab,India.I applied for Peel Regional Police(Peel region,Ontario)constable.I passed my written test and physical with good percentage.I am worried about my English.Its not fluent(proficient) but fair.Do you guys think that I can become good police officer or not?My father was Air force officer.I studied in Air force school,India.I am post graduate in electrical engineering.Beside English I can speak,read,write Hindi and Punjabi,can speak urdu also.I will appreciate your input on this matter.My interview is coming soon.
    Thanks in advance

The ability to communicate effectively (whether in English, French, Hindi or Swahili) is critically important to the safety of you and your fellow officers. Even if you're proficient in the use of the language, high stress situations can cause even native speakers to become incomprehensible. So I would say this is something you want to work on.

I know of an officer hired by a local department here. He was born in Cambodia and spoke English as a second language, which made him desirable to the department for his ability to communicate with the Hmong community. He was highly intelligent and was tops in his recruit class. But he was hard to understand on the radio. After several situations in which the dispatchers could not understand what he was saying, he was removed from duty.

If you're really serious about this, I would recommend working with a voice coach, linguist or speech therapist to improve your ability to communicate in English. With enough work on diction, pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar, you should be able to overcome any deficiencies you might have.

Good luck.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Go for it

Originally posted by adampur
      Respected officers,
      I born and brought up in Punjab,India.I applied for Peel Regional Police(Peel region,Ontario)constable.I passed my written test and physical with good percentage.I am worried about my English.Its not fluent(proficient) but fair.Do you guys think that I can become good police officer or not?My father was Air force officer.I studied in Air force school,India.I am post graduate in electrical engineering.Beside English I can speak,read,write Hindi and Punjabi,can speak urdu also.I will appreciate your input on this matter.My interview is coming soon.
      Thanks in advance
      I've been to the Peel Region (Toronto) a lot. Your language skills would be very useful to the department, as there are a lot of Indian people there. If you decide to do this, you will definately have to become proficient in English, however. I have 2 issues for you to consider.

1) Are you sure you want to give up a career as an electrical engineer?

2) Is proficentcy in French obligatory?

Good luck
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

1) Are you sure you want to give up a career as an electrical engineer?
        100% sure.
        2) Is proficentcy in French obligatory?
        No.

Comment

Go for it, and good luck. Also, just be diligent on becoming more proficient with you english.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5316 users online. 298 members and 5018 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X