300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all - Please critique my plan

Right now, I'm 19 and I live in California. I have been considering a career in either the military or in law enforcement for almost 3 years, and I've decided to make my living being either a parole officer, or a police officer. I'm going to college, and so far I've completed 35 college units. Since I'm not old enough to attend the police academy, I'm going to go to my police department and see if I can do their explorer program.

Here are my questions: I want to get sponsored by the police department that I'm going to be doing the explorer program with, but how exactly do I do that? What questions should I ask the people that I'm going to volunteer for?

Here's my background: No traffic infractions and no criminal offenses of any kind. I have 20/20 eyesight, I have a tiny difficulty distinguishing red from green, but it's not bad at all. Physically I played football all through highschool and college, so I was kept in shape there, BUT, three months ago I did suffer from a dislocated hip (which is the reason I'm not in the explorer program right now). Once the hip heals, I won't be restricted on physical activity.

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoote85
      First off, before you jump into their explorer program. Try to formally inquire about them giving a college student who was interested in becoming a cop a part time job. That's what I did, I sent the Chief where I live an email, and he thought it would be a great idea, so the department gave me a part time job doing various duties around the station while I'm in school. If you want to get sponsered through the academy you have to find out if they have a recruit or trainee position. This is something you can apply for at around 20 and a half years old. That is exactly what I am doing. I will finish my spring semester next year at my college, grab my associates, put my two weeks in at Lompoc PD, and prepare to move down to San Diego to start applying at agencies down there, since that is where I want to work. Anyway, you may not get the part time job, but its worth a shot over volunteering as an explorer.
      Wow, that is GREAT advice! Thanks for the help! I see you live in Cali, where exactly do you live? I'm in Antioch. It's between San Franciso and Sacramento.

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoote85
          In Lompoc. It's about an hour north of Santa Barbara, central coast. I used to live in Carlsbad, down in North County San Diego. That is where I want to work once I get my AS. Plan to move back down there sometime next summer, after spring semester.
          Sounds good. Thanks again for the advice, and good luck on becoming a LEO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5381 users online. 298 members and 5083 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X