300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought's on hairstyles for interviews

(For the BI's and others who do interviews on recruits)

Just curious on this one and this might sound stupid or a goofy question, but what would you look for hairstyle-wise from a guy during interviews?? What I mean is, would you frown on someone if they showed up with spikey hair (not the gothic spikes but conservative spike), or the "messed up hollywood type look" if they showed up to an interview for Oral or BI?? Or would you rather the Godfather slicked back look or close cut faded on the sides and short on top?? Or does it not matter at all?? Reason I ask is because I style mine about 4 different ways and wouldnt want to show up with something that they might take note of and it hurt me. Ive slicked it back for most of my interviews though Im not a fan of it, but since Ive grown my hair out Ive had a wilder messed up spikey type all around on my head and a lot of people really like it, but not sure if it is appropriate for interviews. I know this question sounds goofy, but I had to ask it.

PittsburghKid
    Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
    Written - Passed
    Physical test - Passed
    Background Investigation - Finished
    Oral Board - Passed
    Polygraph - Passed
    Chief's Decision - Pending
    Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
    Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Ok ... I can't resist! Kid, and I mean this as humorously as possible, YOU HAVE ISSUES. just wear your hair in a clean, professional manner. Don't try to be "hip, cool, or gansta" just comb it neetly and be done with it. You will not get points for the dew, but if you wear it all messy and spiked you will certainly be remembered ........ but not in a good way.

Comment

LOL I had to ask though, because I seen some people get pretty far in the process with those styles so I wasnt sure what the thinking was there. Ive always wore mine conservative, as Ive said and will continue to. It was just bugging me and had to ask.

PittsburghKid
      Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
      Written - Passed
      Physical test - Passed
      Background Investigation - Finished
      Oral Board - Passed
      Polygraph - Passed
      Chief's Decision - Pending
      Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
      Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Comment

Ill throw a variation on this question. What if the applicant is undercover with a department and is going for an interview with a different dept? The undercover role often requires a less than conventional appearance and might include long hair, beard etc. Would you shave and get a haircut for the interview for the new department or would you explain that youre under at the moment and the 'look' is part of your assignment?

Comment

leave it the way it is, that one is easily explained.

Comment

One of the aspects of a police career that I truly hate. You have to fit a certain prototypical style in regards to your haircut and your facial hair. There is no room for the noncomformist who prefers a beard or something besides the boring "high and tight" haircut.

Comment

Yea, I'm sure an officer w/ a rainbow mohawk would get a lot of respect. Heck, let's let them paint their patrol cars whatever color they want too
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                Yea, I'm sure an officer w/ a rainbow mohawk would get a lot of respect. Heck, let's let them paint their patrol cars whatever color they want too

Now there's an idea that's "truly outside the box." But you're making logical leaps and bounds! Why not permit a clean goatee, and a stylish Calvin Klein haircut? All officers should be required to wear some "Escape For Men." He should feel free to put some mousse in his hair and spike it, he should feel free to let it grow longer than 5 millimeters. Pal, What you suggested is beyond ridiculous.

Comment

if you are worried about being on the cover of GQ, go be a model,

long hair- bad idea, *get in a fight, someone grabs your hair, then your body follows*

facial hair- bad idea, one, i never saw a guy in a pressed suit with a bush on his head and face and thought, "he looks squared away, i bet he knows his stuff" and there have also been studies and surveys that a large % of the public *domestic and forgein* see facial hair = they see a deceptive person, thus another factor for no GQ butt hair on the face. *this is from a kenesics and behavior class that i attended last yr* (so take it for what's worth)

and, well not saying that this is "politically correct" but, if you have A- officer on the stand who is clear cut and then you have B- arrested terd who looks llike a rag muffin, who *more often than not* is going to "appear" more believable.

Comment

I guess I'm just a little too old and have a few too many years of military service behind me. I think when you become a civil servant you have to be held to a higher standard, whether it be the meter reader on the street, a postman, firefighter or an officer. You set the standard that others should strive for. If you have a huge gut and it rolls over your sam browne then you look just as bad as the guy with the funy hair and beard. Standards need to be raised, not lowered.
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I tried to write my haircuts off on my taxes one year. I mean it IS a job requirement and it costs about 150 bucks a year or more to keep my hair shoirt and neat. My acct. said "Uh, No fu#$%n way"
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                        and, well not saying that this is "politically correct" but, if you have A- officer on the stand who is clear cut and then you have B- arrested terd who looks llike a rag muffin, who *more often than not* is going to "appear" more believable.
                        It's strange how society places a negative stigma on an individual who decides to grow strands of hair from the chin. It was actually the norm back in the day...until the advent of razor blades, and stale and stodgy human resource workers.

Comment

Originally posted by ZackDarnell
                          It's strange how society places a negative stigma on an individual who decides to grow strands of hair from the chin. It was actually the norm back in the day...until the advent of razor blades, and stale and stodgy human resource workers.
                          didnt say it was right, just the way it is. by the way, i'm all for clean appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by e-man
                            I tried to write my haircuts off on my taxes one year. I mean it IS a job requirement and it costs about 150 bucks a year or more to keep my hair shoirt and neat. My acct. said "Uh, No fu#$%n way"
                            thats a dang good idea,,,i dont see why it wouldnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                              If you have a huge gut and it rolls over your sam browne then you look just as bad as the guy with the funy hair and beard. Standards need to be raised, not lowered.
                              Do police departments disregard physical training standards after the completion of the academy and the hiring of an officer? I've seen many physically fit officers, followed by some with rolls visible underneath their shirt. Sadly, more respect is given to those without the rolls. (Goes underneath desk and begins to weep.)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12100 users online. 504 members and 11596 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X