300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alrighty Boys N Gals

Since talking to some of you Ive decided to not go for a degree in CJ.Some folks Ive talked to suggested getting a degree in something more general. My question for you folks is this. In what fields would you recommend? Im really into computers. In all honesty I really want to be on the road. I want to advance within the department. Alot of people tell me .. oh the computers .. that will help in fighting computer crimes.. but in all honesty I dont mind staying in my home town of roughly 40,000 or working for the county of 80,000. Anywho .. What other generalized degrees would help me. I was going to do a computer science/ web design but got told that could hurt me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Psychology, business admin., anything dealing with gov't planning or mgmt will help your advancement. If you're going to stay in a small town, computer classes are beneficial but I doubt your agency is going to implement a computer crime squad soon, so why focus on that? If advancement is your main concern, stick to mgmt. classes.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop
      If advancement is your main concern, stick to mgmt. classes.
      yup yup, excellent advice.

Comment

A business or public admin degree would be the way to go, especially if you want to advance. Administrators of the police departments around here have always told me that running a police department is a lot like running a business with budgets and labor contracts, etc. If I go back to school, I'll switch to a business or accounting major.

Covman

Comment

I hear the talk that a Crim. Justice degree isn't recommended over something like a business administration degree or whatever. The thing is, I'm really only interested in majoring in that. If I'm gonna spend 4 years dedicated to a certain trade if you will, I want it to be something I actually give two hoots about. Does that make sense?

Comment

The advice that I always got was to major in what interests you most. From my limited experiences thus far in the hiring process, it seems having the degree/credits is the most important factor as far as education. Just do what will keep you motivated to finish your education and do your best, that is what I followed at least. Good luck!

Comment

Well I did talk to the sheriff yesterday and he did end up telling me if I did my computer science/web site development that it could hurt me. So looks like a general business degree for me , which isnt exactly what I want but Ive always been good with managment so .. I think ill be ok

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2970 users online. 207 members and 2763 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X