Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pysch question

hi all,
    i have a quick question. i am hoping to get into LE someday, but am unfamiliar with exactly whats on the pysch evaluation that many departments require. my question is, what if you were treated for depression in the past? Would this be something that could disqualify you? About three years ago I went into counseling for depression, and was put on zoloft. The treatment was only a few months, and made me feel a whole lot better. I didnt like the side effects from the zoloft so i stopped taking it, after just a few months. I havent had to go back into counseling since then, as I had learned techniques in counseling to keep myself from slipping that low again. But Im assuming this would be something I would have to disclose to a police department and I wonder if it would ruin my chances. I'm not in any hiring processes currently, and I realize I have plenty of time to worry about things like this, but I was just curious. Thanks for your help.
    "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Im not sure it would exactly disqualify you, but if a dept. decided to look at you seriously, Im sure they would send you for some testing, etc.. to make sure that it was "gone"

Good Luck!
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Speaking just from a psychological stand point, they "most" likely will really ask alot of questions concerning your depression. As with any case of long term depression, your chances of relapse are of course greater. Probably alot of it will be trying to figure out why you suffered from depression, and if put in the same situation whether you may relapse.

Comment

The whole depression question would probably handled on a case-by-case basis. There are simply too many variables involved in something like this but you can bet the Dept. is going to look VERY CAREFULLY at you.

Comment

ugh..

so basically this doesnt sound good for me at all. I was hoping perhaps it wouldnt be a huge issue as I have always thought counseling services are available to police officers, correct? Of course I would have to disclose the fact that I received treatment, right? I know you're not supposed to hide anything. It's just unfortunate that it appears this will probably hurt me in the long run. But thank you all very much for your responses, I appreciate it!
          "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6809 users online. 363 members and 6446 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X