X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYerinCa
    replied
    Originally posted by NavyCop
    Just my take from both civilian jobs and the military, but when you produce a letter of recommendation from someone on the inside, it can be a negative because:

1. You don't know how the employer views the person who recommended you. Say the supervisor doesn't like the person, now his letter recommending you crosses his desk, there is no chance that it can have a positive impact.

or

2. Depending on how well you know the person who wrote the letter of rec., it can lead to worries about where your loyalty will lie if hired.
    NavyCop,
    Thanks for that,didn't think about it that way

Leave a comment:

• NavyCop
    replied
    Originally posted by NYerinCa
    How come that would hurt to get one from someone within the dept?
    Just my take from both civilian jobs and the military, but when you produce a letter of recommendation from someone on the inside, it can be a negative because:

1. You don't know how the employer views the person who recommended you. Say the supervisor doesn't like the person, now his letter recommending you crosses his desk, there is no chance that it can have a positive impact.

or

2. Depending on how well you know the person who wrote the letter of rec., it can lead to worries about where your loyalty will lie if hired.

Leave a comment:

• NYerinCa
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodie
    No. That may even hurt a little.
    How come that would hurt to get one from someone within the dept?

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    No. That may even hurt a little.

Leave a comment:

• ScrapinPT
    replied
    what about one from a deputy for that department

Leave a comment:

• NYerinCa
    replied
    Thanks everyone, I'm in the process of obtaining one from a congressman whose campaign I worked on for a couple of years, I guess the more the merrier

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    but if its an ex- spouse, dating partner, then more often than not if there is nothing to back it up, other than their word, they see through that bs. i mean, they are an ex for a reason.
    if you get a letter of ref from a congressman, senator, distr. judge, that has some weight behind it.
    if you get a letter from someone other than a friend,,or family friend, that is something that the administration takes notice of. as long as its a genuine letter, not a run of the mill letter, i have seen both come through on a couple of application processes.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    None what so ever. If a department asks for a letter of recommendation, which is highly unusual, then yes submit one. But just by what you wrote about your commander, pastor, etc...of course those people will highly recommend someone, but departments find out everything in a background.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    They go to the bottom of the BA's packet. While they carry some positive weight and can do no harm it's the personal leg work wnd background info that gets you in. By all means include them.

Leave a comment:

• NYerinCa
    started a topic Letters Of Rec

Letters Of Rec

How much weight do letters of recommendation hold during the background process? I have one from an officer within the dept, a couple from commanders from the miliary and one from a pastor?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4122 users online. 231 members and 3891 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X