Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 of us and one guy already passed the academy.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 of us and one guy already passed the academy.

1 position open and only 3 of us made it to the Oral board after passing the written and then the Physical apptitude test. Except we were told there would be no Oral exam since there was only 3 of us who even made it to the end and they would interview the all of us per the 1 for 3 rule. The other 2 guys seem to be very competant individuals and one of them is totally new to LE but is a volunteeer firefighter but the other fella says he has already passed "Basic law Enforcement adademy" and has had some time for a different department but not enough to qualify as a lateral-transfer officer. The Chief of Police talked to us and stated that they want an individual in the academy very soon. All of this says to me that the fella with the experience has a very good chance, better than us other guys. Now finally, my question....in your experience would it be better to hire the slightly experienced fella vs. starting from scratch with either of us other 2? I understand there is alot of information I am unaware of about this other guy and that ya'll don't have, that would help answering this question, but I am only looking for opinions based off of your experiences. From my perspective I would think the experienced guy has a very good chance of geting the spot, but there may be factors that may favor the less experienced guys. Is this the case? Thanks for the input folks.
    "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

*NOT A LEO*

Just for common senses sake I would wonder why the one with experience would be trying to leave his dept. To me, it would show that he doesnt have a commitment to his current dept. so why would he have a commitment to the new dept.

Just my common sense (which isnt always so common)

Comment

Grizzly,

Some Police Departments will hire POST Certified officers because of: #1 they don't have to pay for their academy, #2 POST Cert. officer already knows duties (short period of FTO'ing) versus newbie who has to attend their FTO program. #3 City saves money however you look at it.

Comment

BUT,,,another angel to look at, if you hire someone with experience, you also hire their bad habits and "their way of doing things", i have noticed that each dept. has 'their own way of working" and dont you dare challenge that, but like was said above, the dept. can save $ with the experienced candidate. so it can go either way, when i hired on a few yrs back, there was 4 spots open, several guys w/ exper. and certified, however, the 4 that where hired, myself included, had no experience and all 4 of us had to go to the academy, so you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyGirl233
          Grizzly,

Some Police Departments will hire POST Certified officers because of: #1 they don't have to pay for their academy, #2 POST Cert. officer already knows duties (short period of FTO'ing) versus newbie who has to attend their FTO program. #3 City saves money however you look at it.
          All of what you said makes perfect sense and echoes what I was thinking. This is a small city and they need some one out there soon and the Chief of Police said as much when he stated "you won't be completely useful until your patrolling on your own" (not a quote) and that won't be until 9 months out of the academy and done with the FTO according to him. I can understand the need and as I said it makes perfect sense. The fella with experience no longer works for the other department but I got the impression from him that the reason for that wasn't disciplinary in nature but his choice. Well I appreciate every ones feedback and I will keep at it and do my best, as always. I have said it before and I will say it again...even if this opportunity isn't successful, the next one might be and as always I can learn from it. Thanks folks.
          "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6373 users online. 334 members and 6039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X