300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Area PD's???

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 12:55 AM.

Oceanside is about the only place you can approach being able to afford to live out of what you mentioned but if your GF is working you should be able to scrape by between the two of you in a shoebox sized house. As far as your GF working at SW after college, has she actually looked into it? That job is harder to get than most firefighter jobs.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Comment

Never say never as far as the kids go. As far as the GF's job, just make sure she has a good minor so she can do something else besides playing with dolphins. I know too many people w/ that degree who serve me fine coffees if you know what I mean.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Comment

Well i work for SDPD (I also go to SDSU . It's a great agency for the most part in terms of people, policies, work, etc. Financially though it is poor, in terms of pay and equipment. There are other agencies that are worse though- Oceanside is one. I think Carlsbad also pays less. SDSO is a good agency and covers most of the north county. Highest paid is Escondido (and they get take homes!), with CVPD closing in. Many officers are leaving SDPD right now for other agencies. Last I heard 30 left so far. I suspect it won't be easy getting hired on in the North county, since many SDPD officers live in Temecula, and up north.

Right now every beach town is way expensive. It will always be that way.

Hiring will be way different in 8 months though. It could go either way. I hear thing may be better for us next year. 5 years ago SDPD was THE agency to be at. It's still a good place, espically if you don't care about buying a house.
            Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

The San Diego Sheriff's Department is hiring in mass right now. San Diego PD is also offering numerous test dates. Oceanside Police require 60 college units. Carlsbad PD seems to be VERY well equiped. Pay scales should be posted on each departments web site. I've lived in Carlsbad for the last two years and a half years. Pkagel is dead on with the affordability quote. Decent condo's (not ghetto and larger then a broom closet) will cost over $500,000. You can rent decent apartments for $1500 to $2100 a month. You will pay between $900 and $1200 for "liveable" apartments (older and in shadier areas). Oceanside and Carlsbad crime rates are higher then Leucadia and Encinitas. I think the only reason why crime rates in Carlsbad are so high is because it is right next to Oceanside. Oceanside officers are ALWAYS busy. I'd research the Sheriff's Department openings.

Comment

I'm 20 and currently living in Vista (between Oceanside and Escondido) and agree with everything others have said.

I just applied for the County Sheriff's Department at one of their walk-in written exam sessions. They're hiring 300 new deputies ASAP (250 for detentions/courts and 50 for patrol). I would check out their website as much has changed in the last 6 months with pay and retirement (sdsheriff.net).

In terms of living, people love to dog on Vista because of its history of gang violence and shady neighborhoods, but places in South Vista (we call it Shadowridge) are nice and relatively affordable. It sounds like you'd love to live by the ocean somewhere, but in my own experience shopping for apartments, it gets exponentially more expensive for every 1/2 mile closer you live to the beach.

Good luck and feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions ([email protected]). I'm not in LE yet, but I might be able to give you some other info.

-Dustin
                "Just how big were those two beers?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"Quotas? We used to have quotas but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

"I could've eaten Alphabits and crapped out a better report. FTO to trainee

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6025 users online. 315 members and 5710 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X