• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justin1225
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2005

Question relating to Ohio Hiring

Hello everyone,
    Recently I have enrolled in the Northeast Training Academy in Orrville, Ohio. I am currently 18 years old and will be 19 years of age upon graduation. I have aquired 3.5 credits in college Psychology and will have more by graduation date. I have voulenteered with the Wayne County Sheriff's Department since I was a child and have done many ride alongs with the local PD's, so I'm well known by the local LEOs.

The reason for this post is because the academy commander stated that I should be able to get a job at the age of 19 in the smaller towns and villages. Is this likely or will I find myself doing the academy way to soon?

Thank you,
    Justin
  • lifesaving123
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2005

i can't speak for ohio, but for every agency i have ever seen, the minimum is 21.

Comment

• JKralC104
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2005

Finish school THEN the academy... You probably just wasted a whole lot of money.

Comment

• Mid_Ohio_Po
        Straightenin the curves..
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Justin1225
        Hello everyone,
        Recently I have enrolled in the Northeast Training Academy in Orrville, Ohio. I am currently 18 years old and will be 19 years of age upon graduation. I have aquired 3.5 credits in college Psychology and will have more by graduation date. I have voulenteered with the Wayne County Sheriff's Department since I was a child and have done many ride alongs with the local PD's, so I'm well known by the local LEOs.

The reason for this post is because the academy commander stated that I should be able to get a job at the age of 19 in the smaller towns and villages. Is this likely or will I find myself doing the academy way to soon?

Thank you,
        Justin
        In a village or town in Ohio you have to be 21. You can technically work for a Sheriff's office at the age of 18 if certified, but it's rare. It happened a few times at our county S.O. about 18 years ago, must the earliest I've seen is a friend of mine who works for county that started at 20. I doubt though that Wayne County would put someone on the road and carrying before 21.
        In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

• Justin1225
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2005

I just talked with a buddy of mine recently who started at 18 and the Academy commander was chief of police in one of the villages that hires at 18. I haven't spent the money on the academy yet just got accepted if I choose to go. I just wanted to know if it was true still since that is what they are telling even the career center criminal justice students, that they can get a job at 18 or 19 once they complete the academy.

-Justin

Comment

• Bodie
            No Longer Active
            • Feb 2004

I'll bet your academy commander $500 dolars he is so WRONG. As a dispatcher yes as a gun carrying police officer no.

You cannot even be OPOTC certified until 21 meaning if you start the academy at 20 you have to have a birthday before it is over.

You can contact the Ohio Peace Office Training Academy in London Ohio or the Ohio Peace Officer Training Council thru the Ohio Attorney General online

I'll take cash only please NO CHECKS

Comment

• Justin1225
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2005

Was wondering when you would show up and post lol. I appreciate all the help.

Comment

• Justin1225
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2005

Well I just looked up the ohio revised code on it so I can present it when I talk to the academy commander about refunding my money because he wasn't telling the truth. Here is the what the revised code says.

124.41. Qualifications for appointments to police departments.
                No person shall be eligible to receive an original appointment to a police department, as a police officer, subject to the civil service laws of this state, unless the person has reached the age of twenty-one...

Comment

• Bodie
                  No Longer Active
                  • Feb 2004

That Commander needs reported to the Attorney General.
                  If you could have received a OPOTC Certficate by the time you could carry and be a leo in Ohio it would have expired and you woudl have to start over.

There is something very wrong with this guy and his "Academy"
                  I love these village officers that open these schools. We had a guy here that tried that and he was shot down.

Comment

• Bodie
                    No Longer Active
                    • Feb 2004

Enroll in College. Get a 4 yr degree in anything but CJ.

Comment

• Justin1225
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2005

Yeah he has had a few guys go through already who are my age and they are working for village departments. That is how they get stores that do underage sales is by sending the ones who aren't 21 in. If he got reported would they lose their certification?

Comment

• Bodie
                        No Longer Active
                        • Feb 2004

They can't be armed police officers in the State of Ohio under 21. They would not loose a certfication because it's not valid anyway. A lot lies must be the activity if the day for the guy.

He's got a good financial thing going & has found away to make money off young kids who want to be cops.

IN OHIO you must be 21 to be an ARMED SWORN POLICE OFFICER there are no 18, 19 or slightly 20 yr old cops. Call the attorney general and why not post the name of the villages with the kiddie cops so we can make sure they get on the news when busted.

Comment

• Mid_Ohio_Po
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Bodie
                          They can't be armed police officers in the State of Ohio under 21. They would not loose a certfication because it's not valid anyway. A lot lies must be the activity if the day for the guy.

He's got a good financial thing going & has found away to make money off young kids who want to be cops.

IN OHIO you must be 21 to be an ARMED SWORN POLICE OFFICER there are no 18, 19 or slightly 20 yr old cops. Call the attorney general and why not post the name of the villages with the kiddie cops so we can make sure they get on the news when busted.

I disagree Bodie, in Sheriff's departments a deputy can be sworn and carrying at the age of 18 if signed off on by the Sheriff of that agency. Village PD's and municpalities, no.

Factor in being 18 during the academy, completed around 19...bingo, sworn, gun toting kid in a deputy uniform. Seen it happen within the past 6 years. If it has changed since then, I digress.

Comment

• Mid_Ohio_Po
                            • Dec 2004

Still checking the ORC for the specifics I was talking about, but found this for now.

[

Comment

• Bodie
                              No Longer Active
                              • Feb 2004

You can be sworn as a DEPUTY SHERIFF but no one under age 21 can carry a gun so you work jail or communications. No arrest powers.

Ohio Revised Code is quite clear.

Mid Oh Name one county or village ????????? That has an 18 to 20 yr old fully sworn and certified officer. Ohio won't sign off on a certficate for anybody under 21. OPOTC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20614 users online. 59 members and 20555 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...