300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Italian 16years Old

Hi,i'm Joshua,an italian boy of sixteen years old.I study technology in a normal tecnical high school.I want be an officer.What's the process for me?I must study in a particular school for take the entrance exam?Please help me,i don't live in the usa(and so sorry for my brutal english),but i want go in the usa for the exam,return to italy,go in academy and than(at 21 years) live in NY....repeat sorry for my english

Nothing???

Comment

Hi Joshua,

In order to be hired as a police officer in most states, you must either be a US citizen, or be a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for US citizenship.

Until you meet that criteria, you will not be allowed to participate in the selection process.

Sorry.

L-1
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
        Hi Joshua,

In order to be hired as a police officer in most states, you must either be a US citizen, or be a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for US citizenship.

Until you meet that criteria, you will not be allowed to participate in the selection process.

Sorry.

L-1
        Hi L-1,
        in the official site of the nypd there wrote that i can do the exam also i'm not a us citizen.Than the exam my project is go in the usa with the double citizen (italy,usa) from the usembassy in italy,and live there.After the exam there also wrote that i have 4 years for the preparation.Why there wrote that if isn't the real?please explain me.thanks very much for your answer.

Comment

Hi Slayer,

Hiring tests are given periodically and the people who pass are placed on a hiring list. I don't know about NYPD, however, hiring lists for most large departments usually last for one or two years. Then the old list is thrown out and a new test is given.

You are correct - the NYPD webpage states that candidates must be a United States citizen on or before the day of hire, so a non-citizen can take the test. However, US law says that you must have lived in the United States for a minimum of five years before being eligible to apply for citizenship. Once you apply, around three more years will pass before you actually become a citizen.

If you were to take the NYPD test today and pass, the hiring list containing your name would expire six to seven before your citizenship came through, so you could not be appointed as a police officer from that list.

At this time, you appear to lack the minimum qualifications necessary to be a NYPD officer and probably would not be admitted to the test. However, when you reach the point that you are one or two years away from getting US citizenship, you should have no problems being admitted to the exam.

Best of luck!

L-1
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
            Hi Slayer,

Hiring tests are given periodically and the people who pass are placed on a hiring list. I don't know about NYPD, however, hiring lists for most large departments usually last for one or two years. Then the old list is thrown out and a new test is given.

You are correct - the NYPD webpage states that candidates must be a United States citizen on or before the day of hire, so a non-citizen can take the test. However, US law says that you must have lived in the United States for a minimum of five years before being eligible to apply for citizenship. Once you apply, around three more years will pass before you actually become a citizen.

If you were to take the NYPD test today and pass, the hiring list containing your name would expire six to seven before your citizenship came through, so you could not be appointed as a police officer from that list.

At this time, you appear to lack the minimum qualifications necessary to be a NYPD officer and probably would not be admitted to the test. However, when you reach the point that you are one or two years away from getting US citizenship, you should have no problems being admitted to the exam.

Best of luck!

L-1
            And so i can do how i said?Do the texta and than take the us citenzship?

Comment

The easiest thing for you to do would be:
              1. Finish High School.
              2. When you reach the age of 18, join the US Army.
              3. After 1 year of service in the US Army you will become eligable to apply for citizenship.
              4. While in the Army, take college courses.
              5. Stay out of trouble.
              6. When you reach age 21, apply for the NYPD.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
                The easiest thing for you to do would be:
                1. Finish High School.
                2. When you reach the age of 18, join the US Army.
                3. After 1 year of service in the US Army you will become eligable to apply for citizenship.
                4. While in the Army, take college courses.
                5. Stay out of trouble.
                6. When you reach age 21, apply for the NYPD.
                If i'm not a us citizenship i can't go in the academy after i pass the exam?

Comment

You are 16 right now and you cannot join NYPD until you turn 21. You can take the test at 17.5 and do not have to be a citizen to take it. You will have to be a citizen in order to be hired, which takes 5 years or more. That means if you move to the US on your 18th birthday you would most likely not become a citizen until you turn 23. You will also have to live and work in the US during this period of time.

You can get around many of the requirements, including any fees, by joining the US Military. If you complete a three year contract with the US Military, you will be 21 and be able attend the academy. NYPD also requires that you have 60 credit hours from a College or University, however that is waived if you complete 2 or more years of Active Service in the US Military and recieve an Honorable Discharge.

I hope that clears things up for you.
                  No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

The only way to go in the Nypd go in to the armed force???

Comment

No. The quickest way for you to join NYPD is to join the Military.

Comment

And the slow way?Because i don't like the armed force but if it's the only way...What can you say to me about the cadet college corp of the nypd?

Comment

Your other choice is to move to the US when you are 18, get a job, enroll in college, and wait at least 5 years until you can apply for citizenship. There is no way the you can take the NYPD exam, move back to Italy, and then attend the academy when you turn 21.

Perhaps you should look into becoming an Italian Police Officer or the Carabinieri.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/pds/index.html
                          http://www.carabinieri.it/
                          Last edited by mosetti; 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
                            Your other choice is to move to the US when you are 18, get a job, enroll in college, and wait at least 5 years until you can apply for citizenship. There is no way the you can take the NYPD exam, move back to Italy, and then attend the academy when you turn 21.

Perhaps you should look into becoming an Italian Police Officer or the Carabinieri.

http://www.poliziadistato.it/pds/index.html
                            http://www.carabinieri.it/
                            I don't like the italian armed force....And so,move from italy to ny at 18 years old,take the exam and wait about 5 years for preparation and citenzship,right?And with more lucky i can become a police officer at 23 years?Thanks very much for you time!!!And sorry for my english!

Comment

Your English is fine

It's way better than my Italien. Most departments here won't hire you until you are 21 years old, and won't let you take the test until you are 19 years old. Of course, that does vary by state. Also, you will have to be a permanent resident to test, and a citizen to get hired.

Why are you in such a hurry? Slow Down There.....
                              Get a good education. High School, college, English etc. You'll get there.
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6258 users online. 345 members and 5913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X